Kilkenny v Waterford AI semi final 9th August - can Waterford exact revenge ?

Started by orangeman, July 26, 2009, 09:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

I can't see Waterford winning in any shape or form - Ken McGrath won't be fit and they've been too reliant on Mullane.

orangeman

Quote from: heffo on July 29, 2009, 02:45:13 PM
I can't see Waterford winning in any shape or form - Ken McGrath won't be fit and they've been too reliant on Mullane.

I see he has resumed training again and that Davy says that he will probably play some part in the game at some stage.

How could this be given that according to last week's reports, he wasn't even back jogging yet ?.

anglocelt39

They have no hope. Having one or two players on incredible form isn't enough. Mullane can't (unless Kilkenny seriously selfdestruct) win them the game on his own. Same way Ben couldn't win it for Cork on his own last season.

Ah yeah Reillers but remember, like, how "Ben" was seriously hamstrung by utterly moronic deficient management last year. Although I suppose you have to balance that against the fact that Mullane can't go as close to the edge as "Ben" could since he wouldn't be one to go whinging to his CB Chairman to get suspensions overturned and the likes. Evens out when you think about it I suppose
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

heffo

Dissapointing result for Waterford U21's last night - Clare seemed much bigger physically and were much stronger in the tackle.

Questionable use of Maurice Shanahan too..

INDIANA

Thought after 20 mins Waterford were going to win easily- they hurled clare off the park early on. Missed a couple of goal chances.I'd say its looking good for kilkenny. Clare are a good side but their size was a huge advantage last night. Think they might struggle on a bigger pitch.

EddieMerx

I can't see Clare beating KK, KK are better hurlers and will also be up to the physical battle

theskull1

Thats two cracking U21 finals in a row. Really enjoyed that last night. Clare look to have a decent future judging by how they have performed over those two years
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Croí na hÉireann

Thought it was a really good game of hurling, had everything apart from a few sendings off. Is that the Clare goalkeeper from last years final? He was certainly keeping an eye on where the square finished this year  :D Full back cost Waterford I thought, something similar will probably happen to their seniors in a couple of weeks...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

deiseach

I'm not too disappointed by the result last night. 2-17 is an excellent score in a sixty minute match on a heavy pitch - we won an All-Ireland scoring only 0-12. Clare scored a great goal late on and once they had the insurance point they'd have done anything to keep it. I'd rather we won obvously, but I wouldn't begrudge Clare after their litany of failures at this stage over the years (not least last year)

imtommygunn

Was the Clare fella who scored 12 points against tipp in the seniors playing(I can't remember his name)? Did he stand out?

Where does young shanahan play for the u21s? Is he much use at this level?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: EddieMerx on July 30, 2009, 11:05:18 AM
I can't see Clare beating KK, KK are better hurlers and will also be up to the physical battle

QuoteI'd say its looking good for kilkenny.

Just to let ye know lads Clare have to play Galway yet before they progress to their inevitable winner takes all showdown with Kilkenny.

deiseach

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 03, 2009, 02:05:08 AM
Just to let ye know lads Clare have to play Galway yet before they progress to their inevitable winner takes all showdown with Kilkenny.

Sure what have ye ever done at Under-21 level? ;)

orangeman

Bad news for Waterford ?

Noel Hickey is in line to make his long-awaited comeback for Kilkenny in Sunday's All-Ireland SHC semi-final against Waterford at Croke Park.

Hickey had an operation earlier this year to sort out a nagging Gimore's groin problem, and just when he was ready to resume his inter-county career he damaged knee ligaments in training just before the Leinster final.

However, he has played a couple of League games for his club, Dunamaggin in the last month, and is now nearing full fitness.

Last season, Hickey also had to overcome nagging injuries before regaining his place in the Kilkenny side that saw off Cork in the All-Ireland semi-final, before starring in the awesome team effort that claimed the three-in-a-row.

Other news from Noreside is that James 'Cha' Fitzpatrick has also shown great form in training and it is believed that Kilkenny look likely to start next Sunday with a team that will be very close or identical to that which crushed Waterford in last September's decider.

slow corner back

Hickeys return is very bad news for waterford and everyone else. I thought that during the championship the Cats had looked unusually vunerable at the back, Delany does not look like a nutural full back and the halfback line was weakened by his absence. If Hickey can free JJ back to the half back line and Cha and Derek Lyng are both fully fit then perhaps the Cats are ready to approach the heights we saw last year which spells trouble for everyone else. Also I suspect the Cats will remember the rough stuff from last years final and the league match and want to put manners on Waterford once more.

orangeman

Quote from: slow corner back on August 04, 2009, 04:03:51 PM
Hickeys return is very bad news for waterford and everyone else. I thought that during the championship the Cats had looked unusually vunerable at the back, Delany does not look like a nutural full back and the halfback line was weakened by his absence. If Hickey can free JJ back to the half back line and Cha and Derek Lyng are both fully fit then perhaps the Cats are ready to approach the heights we saw last year which spells trouble for everyone else. Also I suspect the Cats will remember the rough stuff from last years final and the league match and want to put manners on Waterford once more.

Score board is the way they'll want to put manners on them. It won't be like last years final - that much is for sure.