Tyrone v Kildare AIQF official thread!

Started by cadhlancian, July 26, 2009, 07:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: yellowcard on August 04, 2009, 10:39:16 AM
Well that should have read number 6, it was a typing error. As for the number 4 well the same things apply to him anyway. You still can't defend Gormley though.

You've little enough to be getting worked up about. Do you defend the goading of his opposite number?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 04, 2009, 10:00:32 AM
Quote from: longball on August 03, 2009, 12:25:41 PM
Jonny Curran has no interest in football.

I'm glad MH ignored your advice about Stevie longball  ;)

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 04, 2009, 09:59:31 AM
why would he defend Tyrones number 4 when the original comment was made about Connor Gormley?

Good point!

Well that should have read number 6, it was a typing error. As for the number 4 well the same things apply to him anyway. You still can't defend Gormley though.
defend Gormley for what?smiling at an opponent?
what did ricey do this time?

I can understand people taking issue with these players when they actually do something wrong(eg. the ricey/galvin incident), but when you trawl through a game to find the slightest thing so you can get a dig in , its a bit sad
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 04, 2009, 10:59:20 AM
I can understand people taking issue with these players when they actually do something wrong(eg. the ricey/galvin incident), but when you trawl through a game to find the slightest thing so you can get a dig in , its a bit sad

I think that this particular poster may be trying to set a record for the highest ratio of whinges per posts, and sure who better to whinge about than Tyrone!  ;)

yellowcard

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 04, 2009, 10:51:12 AM

You've little enough to be getting worked up about. Do you defend the goading of his opposite number?

I don't defend any type of goading no matter who it's from. This isn't an isolated incident involving this player. His ability as a footballer will always be tarnished by the antics throughout his career which he obviously deems necessary to give him an edge over his opponents. A decent footballer, yes, but his antics prevent him from being one to be admired.

Zapatista

nrico2006

QuoteI don't defend any type of goading no matter who it's from. This isn't an isolated incident involving this player. His ability as a footballer will always be tarnished by the antics throughout his career which he obviously deems necessary to give him an edge over his opponents. A decent footballer, yes, but his antics prevent him from being one to be admired.

If something gives you an edge, are you telling me you would not utilise that to your advantage?  That's potentially the difference between winning and loosing, and I would be near certain that it's the attitude of the like of Conor Gormley that has resulted in him walking off the pitch a winner alot more often than a loser.  He does not do anything that lots of other players are involved in now or in the past.  His ability of a footballer will stand up there with the best of them, what exactly has he done that is so terrible that his legacy will be tarnished - I would say that a player who was clearly witnessed swinging an elbow (Dermot Earley) at an opposition player would have a greater chance of being remembered for the wrong reasons, if remembered at all.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Zapatista on August 04, 2009, 11:37:48 AM
I admire him.

You see, that's the problem, people like you who actually admire the man.

Don't you remember the good old days when no one criticised us for that type of thing? When we rained on no one's parade, so that Kerry, Meath, Dublin, Down, etc., could win without worrying about the white and red; when we were universally admired for the great sports we were; when we never tired of the fruitless pursuit; and when we never won a bloody thing.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 04, 2009, 11:56:00 AM
I admire him.

Don't you remember the good old days when no one criticised us for that type of thing? When we rained on no one's parade, so that Kerry, Meath, Dublin, Down, etc., could win without worrying about the white and red; when we were universally admired for the great sports we were; when we never tired of the fruitless pursuit; and when we never won a bloody thing.

A bit like us these days then  :(
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 04, 2009, 11:58:48 AM
A bit like us these days then  :(

Except that the admiration isn't quite universal in your case  ;)

yellowcard

I admire him.

Who says you have to resort to these antics to win All-Irelands. Surely you can win All-Irelands AND play the game in the right manner?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: yellowcard on August 04, 2009, 12:15:40 PM
Who says you have to resort to these antics to win All-Irelands. Surely you can win All-Irelands AND play the game in the right manner?

There's the ideal, and then there's the reality. The simple truth is that you'll play to your maximum advantage, and more often than not that will involve pushing at the boundaries of the legalities of the game, but that's just the way it works. And there are no (successful) teams without their boundary pushers.

Rick O Shea

i have great admiration for someone like conor gormley

he's always developing as a player and willing to try new things even if they don't become popular - like bringing the headed clearance into gaelic football in 2004 i think...  ;)

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: yellowcard on August 04, 2009, 12:15:40 PM
I admire him.

sorry, i'm still struggling to see the issue you have with tyrone on sunday.
the game wasnt played in a bad spirit, although it had that slight edge that all good games have.
No one commited a really bad tackle, struck or did anything else that i would deem particularly dirty.(closest thing to this was Earlys swing at ricey)
both teams were physical,but again nothing overly untoward.Is your main problem really Gormleys smirk at his opponent?

I'd be quite happy for Tyrone to continue playing in the manner they did on sunday and keep winning all irelands, just as i would have no issue with Kerry , cork mayo or meath winning the AI the same way
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Fuzzman

Its not nice yellowcard but its the way of the world.

It would be lovely if everyone played fair all the time and nobody stretches the rules but if you've watched Gaelic games in the last 100 years at all you'll not so many AI winners that have went through the whole season without a cynical foul. Even look at Kilkenny last year in the final

Speaking of this can anyone tell me when was Tyrone's last red card in a championship match.
Can anyone give me any stats on red cards for the past 5 or 6 years?

I'd say its very few.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Rick O Shea on August 04, 2009, 12:23:19 PM
i have great admiration for someone like conor gormley

he's always developing as a player and willing to try new things even if they don't become popular - like bringing the headed clearance into gaelic football in 2004 i think...  ;)

:D :D very good rick!
think he near knocked himself out that day!