Tyrone v Kildare AIQF official thread!

Started by cadhlancian, July 26, 2009, 07:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qz

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on August 02, 2009, 11:00:00 PM
Relief!

First off i'm rather bemused at the comments about Tyrone obstructing frees and cynical tactics. Were you at the same game I was at? Kildare's persistant fouling was far more evident. Can't believe Early wasn't shown a yellow card for taking out Mulligan in the first half when he had him beat in front of the goals. Tyrone do this too but its at least punished with a yellow card.

Mc Geeney's tactics were far more evident in the Kildare players running (very close) in front to distract free takers and fouling players to break down attacks. I won't say Tyrone are entirely innocent, I didn't like Cavanagh knocking the ball out of the Kildare player's hands at the end, but jesus talk about pot calling the kettle black.

As for the boos, they were coming from the canal end (mostly) which was full of children, but I didn't like the cheering and flag waving at Tyrone's wides.

And if you want to start talking about missed chances, what about the 3 scoreable frees Tyrone missed in a row. Tyrone should have won by 5. Gormley was my MOTM, he was all over the forwards and as for "dark tactics" ffs Kildare gave as good as they got. What about Justy being dragged and held down before Ricey got blown for overcarrying. Not to sure about SON for MOTM, he had a poor first half, but you can't really argue with 7 points.

...And finally, no harm, lets hope that's Tommy McGuigan's starting place gone, too many bad performances, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is full of dread everytime he steps up to take a free. Brian' has a great head, and never wastes possession. And what about that catch!

you must have been at the same match as me - couldn't agree more. The booing was disgraceful in the canal end & not from a minority, and certainly not because of unjustified frees. I thought the old Armagh tactics came to haunt Kildare in the second half when mcGeeney instilled a circle the wagons mentality instead of allowing them to push on. I don't think Kildare will improve beyond this in the future with the fear of winning mentality they had in the 2nd half. As for an allstar for Earley , no chance.

Bogball XV

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 03, 2009, 11:07:50 AM
That smiling at someone is some tactic if you can be cool enough to do it! I'd have thumped him  :D didnt see much wrong with it to be honest, better than slabbering at him.

All in all a very sporting game, little negativity, great football, great scores and 10/10 for entertainment value.  One thing I admire about Tyrone ( :-\) is their ability to keep their cool at all times. Never did they go searching for a goal, which Kildare did towards the end, when only two kicks of the ball would have drawn it! Tyrone chipped away and eventually their game plan and style of football that would be practised night after night at training, came to the fore and they showed their class.

Still by no means the finished article, we could be in for a cracker of a semi final.
without wanting to start on the timekeeping debacle once again (well i do really), if there had been more than 1 minute injury time, they wouldn't have been forced to go for goal in those last few attacks.

DCR

Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 02, 2009, 10:49:14 PM
The jeering of the free-kicks doesn't really annoy me that much tbh, there is always going to be those idiots in the minority and also those who complain about it on an annual basis, especially when they lose funny enough.
I think that we (Tyrone) won - and jeering wide free kicks still annoys me.

Doohicky

Quote from: DCR on August 03, 2009, 12:03:04 PM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 02, 2009, 10:49:14 PM
The jeering of the free-kicks doesn't really annoy me that much tbh, there is always going to be those idiots in the minority and also those who complain about it on an annual basis, especially when they lose funny enough.
I think that we (Tyrone) won - and jeering wide free kicks still annoys me.

The jeering of the wides was not the worst. It was the constant jeering of the free kick taker that annoyed me most.
Constantly there was an air horn blasted just as the Tyrone kicker was swinging his leg. Absolute disgrace and it's what made me happiest when we won.

INDIANA

Quote from: mc_grens on August 03, 2009, 11:22:36 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 03, 2009, 10:57:46 AM
Enjoyable game- Kildare played quite well. Tyrone probably look a bit more vunerable this year than previous years. Cork have a chance.

If anything Id say they looked alot more vulnerable last year. They only really performed in the Semi and the Final, having been poor up until that point.

Midfield could be a problem for them this year. anyway I'm off now- enjoy the game.

longball

Jonny Curran has no interest in football. He wouldnt be fit to name star players in any other counties. Wasnt able to name any players in Kildare team. FACT!
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 03, 2009, 10:06:36 AM

I thought those where the only words we were allowed to say about tyrone anyway?

I thought it was a hanging offence to say anything else?

The thing that grates Pints is thats its invariably the same posters making the same hackneyed comments immediately after every Tyrone game. Strangely they dont pick up on these traits when they are seen in the games of other sides not do they seem capable of saying anything positive about Tyrone. It makes these posters look rather petty, small minded and somewhat obsessed. But everybody is entitled to an opinion.

As for the criticism from some quarters for Jordan and Tommy thats pretty harsh. How many bad games has Jordan had over the past decade? Tommy's place on the starting team was well earned and well deserved. Even if he doesnt start the next day he will be back to make a contribution. Delighted to see the brother doing so well yesterday, many players would have called it quits after the injuries in the realisation they probably couldnt play the same role in the team again. Instead through sheer hard work he has returned and is still able to have a huge influence on games in a slightly different role. Inspirational.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on August 03, 2009, 12:53:50 PM

I thought those where the only words we were allowed to say about tyrone anyway?

The thing that grates Pints is thats its invariably the same posters making the same hackneyed comments immediately after every Tyrone game. Strangely they dont pick up on these traits when they are seen in the games of other sides not do they seem capable of saying anything positive about Tyrone. It makes these posters look rather petty, small minded and somewhat obsessed. But everybody is entitled to an opinion.

As for the criticism from some quarters for Jordan and Tommy thats pretty harsh. How many bad games has Jordan had over the past decade? Tommy's place on the starting team was well earned and well deserved. Even if he doesnt start the next day he will be back to make a contribution. Delighted to see the brother doing so well yesterday, many players would have called it quits after the injuries in the realisation they probably couldnt play the same role in the team again. Instead through sheer hard work he has returned and is still able to have a huge influence on games in a slightly different role. Inspirational.

LDA,  you're only wasting your time ;)
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Aaron Boone

Just in from the game. Tyrone won it by a whisker. Good decisions by Tony Donnelly & M Harte on the sideline.

tyroneman

Mcgeeney had tongue firmly in cheek when he said kildare didnt have that streak of badness necessary to win. From the 08 meeting in healy it was quite clear he was building kildare in his own image. The comments about how kildare should have won save for missing those last 3-4 chances also dont add up. Tyrone missed 3 v easy frees and overall had 31 scoring chances to kildares 24 

tyssam5

Quote from: ross matt on August 03, 2009, 11:13:36 AM
Credit to both sides for providing a great contest. Very physical with plenty of quality football thrown in. Heart goes out to Kildare but Tyrone deserved their victory. Their mental strength is incredible. They also have defenders who are so comfortable on the ball going forward and attackers that are so adept at tackling and defender. They were cleaned out in the middle of the field today. I hope to God Early gets an allstar. Kinneavy is utterly incompetent. Of course Tyrone were cynical in their closing out of the match. All winning sides are. But its the ref's job to pull them up for this and he didnt. Early was consistently fouled in posession.... Hughes holding is hand behind his back for the kick out... Ricey trying to get his sent off when diving for a harmless finger tip contact but Kinneavy never acted on any of it until he booked Dermot for finally lashing out himself in frustration. In the last 10 minutes a number of poor ref decisions  went against Kildare (why was the kildare defender penailised for being on all fours on the ground yet executing a perfect pick up and rising to his feet despite being surrounded by 3 tyrone forwards? ) and there should have been more time added on.

That being said Tyrone missed very scoreable frees that would have put them out of sight. And if there was more time added on I think they were in the ascendancy and would have hung on. Their next match v Cork should be the game of the year. Cork were awesome yesterday but Donegal were poor and Kerry have been proven to be poor. It's also worth nothing Limerick only narrowly failed to beat Cork in the munster final. On top of this the Kildare match gave the Tyrone the massive contest they needed to get through to identify their own weaknesses and correct them. Impossble to call this result...

:D :D Oh dear you should have held off on that post for another 4 hours or so!!

cadhlancian

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on August 03, 2009, 12:53:50 PM

I wasn't talking about him over the last decade, I was talking about YESTERDAY! ::) Him staying on U believe could have gotten us beaten

sandwiches_in_the_boot

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken