Luimneach Vs An Mhí, Satharn, 1ú, Lúnasa,

Started by thejuice, July 26, 2009, 10:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wherefromreferee?

They didnt confirm (nor show the incident) involving Stephen Bray.  Certainly looked like (the referee just issued) a straight red card?
In your Endo!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The GAA on August 01, 2009, 08:37:41 PM

How was there only 2 mins of injury time? it took hughes 2 mins to send bray ffs, not to mention about 8 subs and meath wasting time for the last 15 minutes.

As we know only too well in armagh hughes is a bit of a joke anyway. with kinneavy appointed to do kildare and tyrone tomrrow is there some one in croke park having a bit of a laugh?

Agree. Every game that lad refs we end up talking about him as much as the game. In general he was ok but there should have been at least 4 mins injury time. Sure meath took about 30s to take the last free and he blew the whistle when it was taken, crazy.

Lawrence of Knockbride

Did he do either of the two games I mentioned Myles or what other ones was he involved in? It's getting to be a pet hate of mine. I've seen it in the local club championships too. It's the easiest of all the things the ref has to do surely.

Eastern_Pride

I don't know how you can tear him to pieces considering the performance Marty Duffy gave last Saturday. He didn't cost us the match but he stopped us getting a way back into it!
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Bogball XV

Quote from: Lawrence of Knockbride on August 01, 2009, 09:36:40 PM
Did he do either of the two games I mentioned Myles or what other ones was he involved in? It's getting to be a pet hate of mine. I've seen it in the local club championships too. It's the easiest of all the things the ref has to do surely.
In intercounty games and probably club championship games, there should be a timekeeper, the ladies have had the hooter system for years now - all major stoppages should be accounted for - did you see the one where the meath half back when down with a sore hand after a tackle with about 3 minutes left.  As was pointed out above, the free out for meath at the end was called with about 30 secs left, it was kicked 30 secs later and the ref blew the whistle.  This goes on time and again, and there seems to be no will to do anything about it, in fact it's never even commented on by the analysts - tv scheduling isue??
It would have been better for limerick if the bray incident hadn't happened as time was more valuable to them than numbers at that stage and the ref would have played 2 minutes anyway. 
There's normally a default time of 2 minutes in a hurling game and 3 in a football game. 

corn02

Quote from: The GAA on August 01, 2009, 08:37:41 PM

How was there only 2 mins of injury time? it took hughes 2 mins to send bray ffs, not to mention about 8 subs and meath wasting time for the last 15 minutes.

I near choked on my cornflakes. Four minutes was a minimum there.

Jinxy

Just back from the game.
Happy with the win but it should have been a lot more comfortable.
We are still very cumbersome when we try to work our way out of defense.
We'll be massive underdogs against Mayo but who knows at this stage.
I thought the ref was shocking by the way.
Dunno what it looked like on TV.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Carbery

Was it not the two umpires who told the referee to issue the Meath player with a red card?

Jinxy

Not specifically talking about the sending-off.
I didn't see it so as far as I know it could have been 100% justfied.
Moreso his general decision making and allowing the 2 goals to stand (although the umpires should have spotted the square ball).
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Hardy

On mature reflection - we're in the quarter final and Mayo will be thinking they only have to turn up. Who knows what could happen? I haven't a clue anyway.

Eamonn O'Brien has managed us to the quarter-final and the team has beaten anyone who showed up to stop us getting there, so well done to him and them.

Great stuff from the half backs, the corner backs and the midfield. Crawford pulling them out of the sky. He's only 29 but has delivered 10 years of quiet commitment to the county and is now having his best year. Never a word from him, never a demand for anything, never a man of the match. But an All-Ireland medallist midfielder at 19 and still not in anyone's top 100 Meath players. What does he have to do to claim his place among the county's heroes? And mine?

But I hate this twelve men behind the ball.

But at the same time I love our corner back scoring two points and our half backs playing like half forwards and I can't figure the whole thing out.

But I really hate this hand passing game.

If we could buy John Galvin and coach him to use his talents and the team to use him, we'd win the All-Ireland for sure.

Zulu

Just back in and I'm desperately disappointed with the result. Limerick needed to get over this hurdle and it's going to be a long road back for them. A few thoughts on the game;

1. I thought it was quite a good game and I'm surprised to see some lads say it was poor fare.

2. The second Limerick goal seemed to be a clear square ball.

3. I thought Meath were very cynical and took turns to pull down Limerick players at the 45'.

4. Limerick got some very soft frees in the scoring zone.

5. Lucey may or may not have over carried by rule but he didn't over carry on the basis of what was left off previously.

6. The ref was very poor for both sides and was far too whistle happy

agorm

Just home from the game.

Happy overall with the performance. There was an excellent level of committment shown and we are starting to look like a team again. As mentioned previously players like Crawford, O'Connor, McGuinness, Meade, Byrne and Stephen showed a high level of workrate and they looked tonight like a team that people are proud to represent Meath. They dont have the marquee names of teams from previous years and that is the difference between this team and an All-Ireland.

Positives: Workrate, improved ball winning at midfield, better at getting breaking ball, good point taking from some of the forwards.

Negatives: Moyles is out of position at full back and could well be exposed at this stage of the championship. Joe had a poor first half and improved in the second. farrell quiet. Not putting away teams and allowing them back into it quite easily. BHack line dont seem to be working as a unit defensively.

I was very very disappointed at how Mark O'Riordan cheated by going to ground after the slightest of touches and in so doing got Stephen Bray sent off. He and the goalie had been at Bray immediately prior to the incident and O'Riordan had his two hands around Bray in a choking fashion and Bray just held his hands up as if to say what can I do. O' Riordan was at Bray again just afterwards and that was when Bray pushed him away and he fell like a sack of spuds. It was unbelievable! It is the most blatant example I have seen of cheating in many years. I hope he is ashamed watching the little footage of him on the ground with obviously nothing wrong.
I very rarely see these incidents as I usually follow the play but on this occasion I saw it all. For a player to be training all year with both codes and go down for so long for so little an impact is laughable and pathetic. Looking forward to seeing how he fares out when he goes head to head with the Tipp guys next weekend. The red cross will need to be on duty.

Overall, hopefully the loss of Bray wont put too much of a dampener on a good evening. Our team is improving and has done well considering where we were last year nad earlier in the year and the management and players deserve great credit for that. Hard luck to Limerick, they have some great footbllers and hopefully they will bounce back next year.

Hound

Found myself cheering on Meath, whatever the feck it is thats wrong with me. Their jerseys were a quare shade of urine - disgusting yokes!

Chris O'Connor is a great bit of stuff. Was just thinking that I hadnt noticed him against the Dubs, when the commentator said he wasnt picked  ???  . Midfield did very well, though the Limerick 8 did his best to turn the tide when he came on. I thought Meath played very well in the second half. First to build the big lead, then to come back with 3 points in a row straight after the first Limerick goal. Forwards linked well together, though I would have taken Farrell off a lot earlier. Panic did set in for the last 5 minutes, and they did some stupid things, although Limerick did too.

Pulling up Lucey for taking 5 steps at the death was harsh, but the 2 minutes of injury time was just ridiculous.

If Meath can get Bray off (assuming he did get a straight red), then they will give Mayo a game.

Barney

There is only one reason why Hughes (who must be the worst and most bizarre ref in the GAA) didn't give Limerick a free at the end, or allow more injury time - he was under strict instructions that there was to be a winner on the day. I know there would have been extra time - but the chances then increase of the ridiculous game planning being fecked up even more.

As for the game Meath were by far the better team and the two fortuitous goals kept Limerick in touch. I thought Limerick were very poor - in defence they left Meath men free on numerous occasions, and the amount of mis-placed hand passes, dropped balls etc. were fatal.

Meath showed in spells against Dublin that they are capable of some very good football and will push Mayo to the brink. I don't think they would compete with any of the other provincial winners though.