Mayo Vs Meath - All-Ireland Quarter Finals

Started by AbbeySider, July 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

Sadly Mayo confirmed my views of Mayo and indeed Connacht football.

I think JOM has done a decent job - although I'm sure others will jump on him - but I'd like to see him given a longer term role

The backdoor has helped Meath a lot also

Lar Naparka

Quote from: man in black on August 10, 2009, 11:15:19 AM
Fine display by Meath yesterday, can anyone tell me why every year Mayo get hyped out of all proportion (like the dubs really), did Mayo even fancy a crack at Kerry when all is said and done ?
So; what's another year?
Johnny Logan's song could be our county anthem.
Looking at the greater picture, we have become so used to being hit by bad luck, poor referees and shots fated to always hit the post on the wrong side. Yesterday was just another day for me in a long, long list of what might have beens.
It seems the feeling that we are always going to get knocked off the rails somehow is deeply ingrained in our collective psyche and this resignation seems to affect our players as well.
I was worried about Keith Duggan's book when it was published because it provided proof for many that we are indeed condemned to go on and on, always being denied our just desserts by forces outside our control.
I lived in Bective for 12 years and have many genuine friends from that area and some of them are very much involved with county affairs. To a man, they have always maintained that Mayo teams are softies and Meath will always beat them. 
As late as yesterday morning, a few of them I met up with were feeling very confident about their chances; to a man and a couple of women too, they were mighty relieved that it was Mayo and not Galway they were going to face. I'd go further and say that Kerry would have preferred it if Mayo had somehow got over Meath and were to be their next opponents.
Colm O'Rourke summed it up well in one of his first pieces in the Sunday Independent back in the early nineties. His colleagues and he never considered defeat whenever they met Mayo. The football was always going to be pretty to watch but the end would always be the same; when Meath upped the ante, Mayo would knuckle under. How many other counties take the same for granted?
Without doubt, luck wasn't on our side yesterday and the same applied many times in the past. But I wonder at the same time that if we had found ourselves 6 points up with 20 minutes to go, would we have self-destructed.

This malaise doesn't seem to exist at u21 level and yesterday we had lots of lads with medals to prove it. Even a manager with a proven track record made no difference either. For me, the result yesterday will reinforce the "Oh woe is me" mentality and we will now find it even harder to ever get to the Promised Land.
Yep, we sure had our quota of hard luck yesterday and that's for sure but a team with a tougher mindset would never have let Meath back into the game. If the roles were reversed, would Meath have obliged us in the same way and obligingly gone off the boil?
I wish Meath every success and hope they go all the way. They can't be held responsible for Mayo's mental frailties.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

highorlow

QuoteCavan wouldnt particularly like Meath highorlow........

The same can be said for us and Galway but we would take our chances with a Galway ref....
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Greenabovethered

When the dust settles, we will look  back and be satisfied with our season.  We have a full back and full forward that we didn't have last year.  We lacked a midfield partner for R McG and i think Tom Parsons will fit in that role in the years to come. He suffered second season syndrome, part of which is mental fatigue with all the football he has played for club, college, underage and county. Unfortunately we are not aggressive enough around the half back and forward lines (exception Trevor Mort). Delighted to hear that John O is staying on as we need some continuity to allow the young lads develop. Realistically I don't think we are one of th top 3 teams in the country at the moment. I would hope that we will be a more developed team next year.

stephenite

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 10, 2009, 11:57:18 AM
I wish Meath every success and hope they go all the way. They can't be held responsible for Mayo's mental frailties.

Ditto

highorlow

QuoteHe suffered second season syndrome

WTF?

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: man in black on August 10, 2009, 11:51:53 AM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 10, 2009, 11:42:40 AM
Quote from: highorlow on August 10, 2009, 11:20:25 AM
Quotecan anyone tell me why every year Mayo get hyped out of all proportion

I don't think it was hype to expect to beat this Meath team after beating Galway in a close provincial decider in Salthill?

That's this year out of the way...... don't think we were hyped in 07 and 08?

2006 no hype either, in fact we boxed above our weight and in hindsight beating the Dubs that year wasn't as good an acheievement as it appeared at the time (no taking away from the great game it was).

2004 - per 2006.

From 2000 to 2003 i can't remeber any hype?

Mayo were the second best team in the country in both those summers. Who do you think was the second best team in the country those summers if not Mayo?

:D Mayo may have got to the final in 2004 and 2006 but are you seriously suggesting that there wasnt another team in the country that wouldnt have given Kerry a bit more of a game. They got raped FFS.

That's exactly what I'm seriously suggesting. If there was a better team, why didn't they beat Mayo along the way? I mean, that's how the competition works, isn't it? You think Dublin would have done better against Kerry in 2006? When they couldn't sit out a seven point lead against Mayou with fifteen minutes to go? Fermanagh in 2004?

AbbeySider

Quote from: highorlow on August 10, 2009, 12:02:21 PM
QuoteHe suffered second season syndrome

WTF?

Parsons is totally burnt out this year.
Here is another one for ya...

Kevin McLoughlan is burnt out too. Take my word for it.

stephenite

Exactly right ICC, there are two teams left standing every September, one is the best (that would be the winner of the All Ireland Championship) the team they beat are, by deafult, the second best.

Rocket science it ain't

royalcountystar

so the dust has settled a little today so I'll put in my 2 cents.

To get the controversial out of the way first. The officials had a big hand in this game. The 45 the first score Meath got wasn't one, the ref was 40 yards away and overturned his umpire. Bad call. That sideline was a Mayo ball and the penalty itself was very soft.
These were vital calls at vital times at both of these times if we had tacked on another couple of scores we may have won the match.

Also the injuries were bad luck Kilcoyne and O'Shea had scored something like 1-4 from play between them before they went off and looked our most threatening players.

The call to replace Moran with Parsons wasn't the right one and I hope this puts an end to the Parsons as a forward brigade. He's a good prospect at midfield and thats it. I think this was the worst call Johnno made all year.

The full back line was a little dodgy and there is a need for proper corner backs but it's not like there's too many lads with their hand up looking to be picked.

I was a bit disappointed with the way our heads dropped for 5 mins towards the end.

typical mayo whining.................

man in black

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 10, 2009, 12:07:02 PM

I don't think it was hype to expect to beat this Meath team after beating Galway in a close provincial decider in Salthill?

2006 no hype either, in fact we boxed above our weight and in hindsight beating the Dubs that year wasn't as good an acheievement as it appeared at the time (no taking away from the great game it was).

2004 - per 2006.

Mayo were the second best team in the country in both those summers. Who do you think was the second best team in the country those summers if not Mayo?

:D Mayo may have got to the final in 2004 and 2006 but are you seriously suggesting that there wasnt another team in the country that wouldnt have given Kerry a bit more of a game. They got raped FFS.

That's exactly what I'm seriously suggesting. If there was a better team, why didn't they beat Mayo along the way? I mean, that's how the competition works, isn't it? You think Dublin would have done better against Kerry in 2006? When they couldn't sit out a seven point lead against Mayou with fifteen minutes to go? Fermanagh in 2004?

So Tyrone or Armagh would have got killed by Kerry as well in 2004 and 2006, somehow i doubt it.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

stephenite

Quote from: royalcountystar on August 10, 2009, 12:14:14 PM
so the dust has settled a little today so I'll put in my 2 cents.

To get the controversial out of the way first. The officials had a big hand in this game. The 45 the first score Meath got wasn't one, the ref was 40 yards away and overturned his umpire. Bad call. That sideline was a Mayo ball and the penalty itself was very soft.
These were vital calls at vital times at both of these times if we had tacked on another couple of scores we may have won the match.

Also the injuries were bad luck Kilcoyne and O'Shea had scored something like 1-4 from play between them before they went off and looked our most threatening players.

The call to replace Moran with Parsons wasn't the right one and I hope this puts an end to the Parsons as a forward brigade. He's a good prospect at midfield and thats it. I think this was the worst call Johnno made all year.

The full back line was a little dodgy and there is a need for proper corner backs but it's not like there's too many lads with their hand up looking to be picked.

I was a bit disappointed with the way our heads dropped for 5 mins towards the end.

typical mayo whining.................

To a man, Mayo lads on here have admitted the better team won and wished ye the best, if you can't be decent in victory you're better off saying nothing.

www.hoganstand.com - this site might suit you a bit more.

Now where's the proper Meathmen that normally frequent this board, I'm interested to hear their take, Hardy, Juice, Agorm???

stephenite

Quote from: man in black on August 10, 2009, 12:17:52 PM

2004 - per 2006.

So Tyrone or Armagh would have got killed by Kerry as well in 2004 and 2006, somehow i doubt it.

Tyrone got beaten by Mayo in 2004, Armagh weren't good enough to make an All Ireland final in 2004 and 2006 - kind of makes a mockery of your argument

highorlow

QuoteNow where's the proper Meathmen that normally frequent this board, I'm interested to hear their take, Hardy, Juice, Agorm???

Probably still in Coppers celebrating...

man in black

Quote from: stephenite on August 10, 2009, 12:21:45 PM
Quote from: man in black on August 10, 2009, 12:17:52 PM

2004 - per 2006.

Tyrone got beaten by Mayo in 2004, Armagh weren't good enough to make an All Ireland final in 2004 and 2006 - kind of makes a mockery of your argument

Ok keep believing Mayo were the 2nd best team in those years. Ye lot seem comfortable in that role.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black