Mayo Vs Meath - All-Ireland Quarter Finals

Started by AbbeySider, July 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prewtna

ah here whats the story with setanta?? watching the match on the net is a joke. nothin like the bit of banter in the pub, might have to fly home instead!

stephenite

Quote from: Barney on August 06, 2009, 03:08:21 PM
Quotebad news in that Setanta Australia are showing the f**king FA f**king Charity f**king community f**king shield live instead of the action from Croke Park.

Come back for the weekend - if you were a real supporter...

Yeah, yeah - if you were a real supporter you wouldn't be undermining managers by leaking private correspondence to the Mayo News ;D

Jinxy

I hope to god O'Brien doesn't bring Ward into midfield and push Meade to wing forward to fill the gap left by Bray.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

agorm

Quote from: dodo on August 07, 2009, 02:06:45 AM
Quote from: Maigheo Abu on August 07, 2009, 12:56:53 AM
Personally, I don't think he deserved that

Did you see what he did to be able to say that ? I did not so cannot say whether he deserves it or not.

I saw it and I agree - he definitely did not deserve it. Mark O'Riordan should have been told to get the f*ck up. We all know of situations in which a player stays bdown just to get another sent off. In all my years of watching games, both club and county, this is the first time I have seen it clearly  first hand.

Like, think about it, you are captain of your county team with the team leading and possibly heading for the all Ireland Qtr Finals, you are playing a blinder with a high proportion of the attacks going through you and you have scored 4 points from play, plus you are have a clean record as a footballer. What would possess you t hit your opponent off the ball unprovoked??? He would be stone mad to have done such a thing and it would point to a Jeckyll & Hyde character. He did react to having two hands around his neck and did lash out at o' Riordan but it was more out of frustration because HE wasnt getting the protection that he deserved from the refs and umpires. So the situation (once again ) changes from the targeted player not only fails to get the protection he deserves but HE GETS SENT OFF!! I know there is unfairness in lots of sports but this type of thing does happen a lot in the GAA.

Dont get me wrong, Meath have had a couple of Mark O' Riordans over the years though I never saw as blatant an attempt at getting an opponent sent off as that, just dirty play in cases where it wasnt warranted.

AbbeySider

Video - TV3 -Championship throw in

Heany set for battle Royal
Mayo's David Heaney looks ahead to the All Ireland Football quarter final against Meath.

http://www.tv3.ie/sport.php?request=&tv3_preview=&video=12164

I think David Brady is being interviewed tonight. Its on at 6.30

Hardy

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 07, 2009, 09:41:55 AM

Thanks for the warning.

cornafean

Quote from: Hardy on August 07, 2009, 09:48:31 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on August 07, 2009, 09:41:55 AM

Thanks for the warning.

;D

I had fierce respect for Brady as a footballer, was delighted to see him winning an All Ireland Club medal and was genuinely sorry to see him hang up his boots without winning an All Ireland county medal.  Three months into his career as a pundit, and my regard for him has fallen through the floor. Who was it who said "you should never meet your heroes"  :(
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

kevmy

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Bray situation the appeal was unlikely to work without a) video evidence to clear him or b) Frank Murphy. No way a ref is going to go back on his card when there is nothing to show that he was wrong. Also in fairness to the ref I think it was the umpire who pretty much made that decision.

agorm

Quote from: kevmy on August 07, 2009, 10:06:55 AM
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the Bray situation the appeal was unlikely to work without a) video evidence to clear him or b) Frank Murphy. No way a ref is going to go back on his card when there is nothing to show that he was wrong. Also in fairness to the ref I think it was the umpire who pretty much made that decision.

Agreed, Stephen should have known better than to react and David shouldnt have gone back to pull O'Riordan up. I feel more sorry for Stephen than anything else. Teams often have to play without key players and it is a mark of the maturity of a squad if tey can get over the loss of a player.

AbbeySider

Quote from: cornafean on August 07, 2009, 10:00:39 AM
I had fierce respect for Brady as a footballer, was delighted to see him winning an All Ireland Club medal and was genuinely sorry to see him hang up his boots without winning an All Ireland county medal.  Three months into his career as a pundit, and my regard for him has fallen through the floor. Who was it who said "you should never meet your heroes"  :(

Is that a little bit harsh?
Im not defending him as such as im not sure do I really rate him as a pundit.
But I do enjoy is answers and one liners. He has a certain entertainment value...

He was asked on News talk about what would have happened if Mayo drew or lost againt Galway:
"Well, I think there would be 30 Mayo players in the psychiatric ward today if they didnt win it"

On Conor Mortimors Celebration:
"The only thing Michael Jackson and Conor Mortimor have in common is that they are both away with the fairies"

About the demolition of Dublin, and did anyone see it coming:
He got into a stutter and said "...Stevie Wonder saw it coming..."

Priceless stuff.

highorlow

O'Mahony denies Moran mind games
Aug 07, 2009

Friday, August 8.

Mayo boss John O'Mahony insists that he was not indulging in mind games by including Barry Moran in his team for Sunday's All Ireland quarter-final encounter with Meath.

Moran was named at full-forward in the Mayo team despite breaking a bone in his hand in training just last week.   

However, O'Mahony is adamant that the target man has every chance of making the game, although he admitted that Moran remains 'doubtful'. 

"He looked very doubtful last week, but he got the cast off earlier this week and actually played 20 minutes of football at training on Wednesday night," O'Mahony said.

"We will give Barry every opportunity to make it, but if he doesn't we have lots of options."

It is the second time this summer that O'Mahony has caused surprise with his team selection.

There was widespread scepticism prior to the Connacht final clash with Galway when midfielder Ronan McGarrity was named in the team having suffered multiple fractures to his face in a club match.

However, McGarrity passed a late fitness test and played from the start in the one-point win over the Tribesmen. 
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

INDIANA

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 07, 2009, 12:06:33 PM

But I do enjoy is answers and one liners. He has a certain entertainment value...

He was asked on News talk about what would have happened if Mayo drew or lost againt Galway:
"Well, I think there would be 30 Mayo players in the psychiatric ward today if they didnt win it"

"The only thing Michael Jackson and Conor Mortimor have in common is that they are both away with the fairies"

Priceless stuff.

Totally agree it is collectors item stuff.

David Kelly has  a penalty in the 69th minute. Sligo are 2 points down. He goes for goal and misses.

Matt Cooper "Well David , he was unfortunate there"
David Brady "He should have taken his point Matt, that was the mistake he made"

I mean with punditry like that who needs an encore. I've a good mind to apply to TV3 myself- lets face it if thats the standard- we all have a chance.

AbbeySider

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2009, 12:15:41 PM
I mean with punditry like that who needs an encore. I've a good mind to apply to TV3 myself- lets face it if thats the standard- we all have a chance.

They would be looking for someone who knows a tiny bit about football.
You wouldnt make the cut.  ;)

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2009, 12:15:41 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on August 07, 2009, 12:06:33 PM

Priceless stuff.

Totally agree it is collectors item stuff.

David Kelly has  a penalty in the 69th minute. Sligo are 2 points down. He goes for goal and misses.

Matt Cooper "Well David , he was unfortunate there"
David Brady "He should have taken his point Matt, that was the mistake he made"

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2009/0718/kerry_sligo.html

He took it in the 67th minute. I know some (certainly not the majority but some) managers who would say take the point and you have 3 minutes + injury time to level it.

Remember 2002? The Sligo player was though 1 on 1 with the Armagh keeper, in injury time, and took his point to level it. I would have gone for goal as I think the penalty taker was right to go for goal, but it is not as ridiculous as you suggest to leave just a point in it with a few minutes to go for an equaliser, especially away from home with a 21 year penalty taker.
MWWSI 2017

AbbeySider

Quote from: muppet on August 07, 2009, 02:05:23 PM
He took it in the 67th minute. I know some (certainly not the majority but some) managers who would say take the point and you have 3 minutes + injury time to level it.

Remember 2002? The Sligo player was though 1 on 1 with the Armagh keeper, in injury time, and took his point to level it. I would have gone for goal as I think the penalty taker was right to go for goal, but it is not as ridiculous as you suggest to leave just a point in it with a few minutes to go for an equaliser, especially away from home with a 21 year penalty taker.

He wont even answer Muppet. Not only does he not have a clue, he doesnt even back up what he says  :D
Not only that but he will completely ignore correction.

He has a problem with Brady because he believes Brady doesnt like the Dubs. 
boo hoo ::)

I got another video from TV3. Brady predicted a one point game, with Mayo winning against Galway.
Nothing new I suppose as I thought it would be close too, but he didnt stay on the fence and predicted it all the same.

There is a few funny comments thrown in there too  :D
http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=316&locID=1.3&page=21