Mayo Vs Meath - All-Ireland Quarter Finals

Started by AbbeySider, July 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: AbbeySider on August 05, 2009, 12:13:39 PM
Quote from: Chef on August 05, 2009, 06:52:41 AM
Hello all,

Long time lurker, I've enjoyed the banter over the years here and the helpful info provided by the dedicated Gaels out there. I had to jump in, couldn't resist now that we face Meath once again in the championship. My first trip to Croker was in '88 as an 11 year old, memory is a little hazy but can remember leaving early with the old man to beat the crowd home as Meath pulled ahead. Little did I know at the time that this would become a common occurrence for the Mayo supporter for the next 2 decades.
Well, for the first time, I think that Mayo have finally turned a corner and look like a team with a bit of bite in them instead of the gun-ho chancers that have been traveling to Dublin for the past 17 years. A lot of work has been done at underage level since '96 that's starting to bear fruit and I think the introduction of JOM was the right move. We finally have someone in charge who has 'been there and done that', someone who can install a belief and confidence in the team, something that has been missing from Mayo management for many years.

I think that this team is on a learning curve and is improving with each game, unfortunately, there haven't been enough to get a proper run going. But I feel that Meath should provide a good warm-up for the Kerry game, and barring a complete disaster, we should come through this one on Sunday. My only concern is Meath's slow pace as shown in their last 2 games, which if repeated, will not be appropriate preparation before going up against Kerry. Hopefully they will come out all gun's blazing and put it up to us as I feel that is what we need if we are to have any chance against Kerry.

I predict a scoreline of Mayo 2-14 Meath 0-12, all going well; a close first half with Mayo pulling ahead in the second half.

There, I said it !

Hope ur right Chef! Welcome to the board!

Well Chef, Welcome to the board, Every year we have pisreogs, that in 51 this happened and that happened so its our year, unfortunately they have proven to false dawns. I certainly hope your right, but  at the end of the day its all down to are our lads good enough? Having said all that i think we are close to all the top teams this year.

Barney

QuoteThe Meath county board have confirmed they will appeal the straight red card issued to Stephen Bray in last Saturday's All-Ireland qualifier win over Limerick.

The Meath captain is facing the prospect of being suspended for Sunday's All-Ireland quarter-final against Mayo after he was sent off in the closing stages for an off-the-ball incident involving Limerick's Mark O'Riordan. However, there was some confusion afterwards as to whether Armagh referee Padraig Hughes erred in not issuing Bray with a second yellow card before that.

Meath manager Eamonn O'Brien has given his full backing to an appeal and said that he felt the dismissal was harsh.

"If he is reported for a striaght red card offence we will be appealing," confirmed the Meath manager.

"In the absence of video evidence he is entitled to the benefit of the doubt. I think the defender made a meal out of it."

Ah.. in the absence of video evidence the referees decision is final!

Meath are going all out on this one - especially with Colm O'Rourke taking advantage of Mayo taxpayer's money to make a personal plea for Stephen before the matches on Sunday.

Will be a huge loss for Meath if he doesn't get off. Mr Hughes strikes me as the kind of ref that won't be reviewing anything.

stephenite

Quote from: Barney on August 05, 2009, 12:43:47 PM
QuoteThe Meath county board have confirmed they will appeal the straight red card issued to Stephen Bray in last Saturday's All-Ireland qualifier win over Limerick.

The Meath captain is facing the prospect of being suspended for Sunday's All-Ireland quarter-final against Mayo after he was sent off in the closing stages for an off-the-ball incident involving Limerick's Mark O'Riordan. However, there was some confusion afterwards as to whether Armagh referee Padraig Hughes erred in not issuing Bray with a second yellow card before that.

Meath manager Eamonn O'Brien has given his full backing to an appeal and said that he felt the dismissal was harsh.

"If he is reported for a striaght red card offence we will be appealing," confirmed the Meath manager.

"In the absence of video evidence he is entitled to the benefit of the doubt. I think the defender made a meal out of it."

Ah.. in the absence of video evidence the referees decision is final!

Meath are going all out on this one - especially with Colm O'Rourke taking advantage of Mayo taxpayer's money to make a personal plea for Stephen before the matches on Sunday.

Will be a huge loss for Meath if he doesn't get off. Mr Hughes strikes me as the kind of ref that won't be reviewing anything.

Hopefully - Meath owe us a bad referee's decision, we might as well take it before the game

Farrandeelin

There is fierce anger about the price of the tickets for the game on Sunday.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Terry Tate

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 05, 2009, 12:23:54 PM
They all looked very fit, relaxed and focussed in fairness. A big enough team as well.

I read an article in the western people where Jim Kielty was saying that he has never seen a team as fit as Mayo are at the moment. I suppose he would say that seen as he developed the training programs

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 05, 2009, 01:26:46 PM
what price are they?
35euro for the games last sunday
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

An Gaeilgoir

I was told that ticket master are doing a QF and SF double for 65 euro. lower Cusack, seemingly its on their web-site. Mayo teams were always quite fit, but i have to say that this year their Physical size and bulk is impressive. Its what we lacked for quite a while. But our main problem was always between the ears, especially in the big battles.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 05, 2009, 01:26:46 PM

Tickets are 45 f**king euro for the stand

omagh_gael

I'm heading myself to this game with my uncle from mayo, so if u hear someone with a thick Tyrone accent roaring on mayo it'll probably be me! Also looking forward to seeing the cats in action afterwards, never been to a top class hurling game. Would be disappointed myself having to pay €45 for this game but the old student card comes in handy some days!

AbbeySider

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 05, 2009, 01:42:26 PM
I'm heading myself to this game with my uncle from mayo, so if u hear someone with a thick Tyrone accent roaring on mayo it'll probably be me! Also looking forward to seeing the cats in action afterwards, never been to a top class hurling game. Would be disappointed myself having to pay €45 for this game but the old student card comes in handy some days!

Did you get in as a Juvenile for €5 ?
Im sickened  ;)

agorm

Quote from: Chef on August 05, 2009, 06:52:41 AM
Hello all,

Long time lurker, I've enjoyed the banter over the years here and the helpful info provided by the dedicated Gaels out there. I had to jump in, couldn't resist now that we face Meath once again in the championship. My first trip to Croker was in '88 as an 11 year old, memory is a little hazy but can remember leaving early with the old man to beat the crowd home as Meath pulled ahead. Little did I know at the time that this would become a common occurrence for the Mayo supporter for the next 2 decades.
Well, for the first time, I think that Mayo have finally turned a corner and look like a team with a bit of bite in them instead of the gun-ho chancers that have been traveling to Dublin for the past 17 years. A lot of work has been done at underage level since '96 that's starting to bear fruit and I think the introduction of JOM was the right move. We finally have someone in charge who has 'been there and done that', someone who can install a belief and confidence in the team, something that has been missing from Mayo management for many years.

I think that this team is on a learning curve and is improving with each game, unfortunately, there haven't been enough to get a proper run going. But I feel that Meath should provide a good warm-up for the Kerry game, and barring a complete disaster, we should come through this one on Sunday. My only concern is Meath's slow pace as shown in their last 2 games, which if repeated, will not be appropriate preparation before going up against Kerry. Hopefully they will come out all gun's blazing and put it up to us as I feel that is what we need if we are to have any chance against Kerry.

I predict a scoreline of Mayo 2-14 Meath 0-12, all going well; a close first half with Mayo pulling ahead in the second half.

There, I said it !
Welcome to the Board!

I have to say that most Mayomen like yourself on the board dont have any grudges against Meath which is welcome.

I would like to say, however, that the reference to using Meath as a warm up team took me aback a little. I can only hope that this is the attitude of the management and the team. However, with JOM in charge, I reckon the management wont look at it that way.

macdanger2

On ticktmaster there's a Q/F & Semi combo for €65 for section 308 in Lower Cusack. A bargain if the Q/F tickets are €45.

ludermor

where is this combo? cant find it on ticketmaster.

macdanger2

Just had a look there, it's now closed.

It was actually from the GAA website - click on the top left hand corner of gaa.ie "purchase tckets". Then click on "GAA Ticket Pacakages".

Tubberman

QuoteJust had a look there, it's now closed.

It was actually from the GAA website - click on the top left hand corner of gaa.ie "purchase tckets". Then click on "GAA Ticket Pacakages".

Got mine last week before it closed   :)
It's good value and would have been even more worthwhile if the Dubs had won at the weekend, because you wouldn't have to join the scramble for tickets.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."