Mayo Vs Meath - All-Ireland Quarter Finals

Started by AbbeySider, July 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Can't believe we've lost the run of ourselves and started posting on threads such as Kerry v Mayo/Meath! We have to win this one first and it will be interesting to see how we do. We should win it but then again I'm never going to predict any football result again. (Apart from the spreads competition where I have to) :)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

If we are within 6 points at the end we'll have done alright.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

An Gaeilgoir

As a mayo man this is ideal preperation for next Sunday. Sured its already been said by our all knowing pundits today on television that who ever wins on Sunday may as well stay at home for the semi-final. Who ever wins on Sunday will not lie-down like the Dubs today. Can kerry put two back to back performances like we witnessed today together? if Mayo come out on top on Sunday next as i'm expecting them to..... it will be all set up like todays game, Kerry favourites and Mayo only turning up to keep kerry amused until September. As for meath, Mayo should be 4 points better than them. We have a nice blend of experience and young lads coming through. Its there for us on Sunday if we want it bad enough.

Tatler Jack

QuoteIts there for us on Sunday if we want it bad enough.

Agree and provided Mayo keep playing attacking football and not revert to the tactics of the last 15 mins of the CF that could have cost them. I have fancied Mayo to go all the way this year and nothing I saw this weekend changes my mind. Mayo are as good as any of the teams left and if they believe in themsleves and are hungry enough for an AI they can win it. Too often Mayo have an inferior complex and hide behind sentiments like "there is an AI in this team bit maybe not this year". Your best chance of winning an AI is the current year - next year brings its own dynamic and circumstances.  Today Kerry were made to look like world beaters by an inept Dublin team that failed to turn up. I can't see Mayyo allowing Kerry to dominate the middle third like Kerry domintaed it today in the first 20 mins. If its close with 10 mins to go then Mayo can win it. As for the game v Meath and taking a line through the games against Roscommon (and allowing for some improvement from the Rossies) I would expect Mayo to win by 5 or 6 points. I know Meath have tradition on their side but I am not convinced that this Meath team are anything out of the ordinary.

MadMayo

ross4life

Believe..................... is so MANCHESTER UNITED 2008 & i don't think you wanna go down that road?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Jinxy

Quote from: MadMayo on August 03, 2009, 11:43:21 PM

Believe.....................

Thought that was Conor Moonwalker for a second.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ross4life

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 03, 2009, 02:37:38 PM
Meath are as good as Wicklow now and Mayo are along the same lines as kerry. It reallt is mayo's game to lose!

Are you sure about that?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Tatler Jack on August 03, 2009, 11:29:19 PM
I have fancied Mayo to go all the way this year and nothing I saw this weekend changes my mind.

You've certainly been pushing Mayo hard all Summer but to be honest I don't think they would live with Kerry on today's display (neither would we before anyone starts). I'm sure the Mayo lads would have preferred the Dubs any day of the week as they have proved they can be a bit flaky down through the years near the business end of the championship. That said Kerry may not reach the same dizzy heights again in the semi-final but even 80% of that performance today would probably still be good enough. Anyway all this is getting a bit ahead of ourselves as Meath are probably feeling slightly overlooked.

RedandGreenSniper

If we're to win an All-Ireland then we should want to do it by beating Kerry en route. Hopefully we'll beat Meath first though!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Lar Naparka

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 04, 2009, 12:00:30 AM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on August 03, 2009, 11:29:19 PM
I have fancied Mayo to go all the way this year and nothing I saw this weekend changes my mind.

You've certainly been pushing Mayo hard all Summer but to be honest I don't think they would live with Kerry on today's display (neither would we before anyone starts). I'm sure the Mayo lads would have preferred the Dubs any day of the week as they have proved they can be a bit flaky down through the years near the business end of the championship. That said Kerry may not reach the same dizzy heights again in the semi-final but even 80% of that performance today would probably still be good enough. Anyway all this is getting a bit ahead of ourselves as Meath are probably feeling slightly overlooked.
I'm 101% with you on this.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

JMohan

This won't go down well - but it's my honest opinion ...

I think Meath are an average team

Mayo should beat them ... with a struggle

Connacht football is not at the same standard as Leinster, Munster or Ulster football and I expect when Mayo meet a good team like Kerry/Cork/Tyrone .... even a Kildare or Dublin ... Mayo (Galway even) will get stuffed

Connacht people will find that their football is behind the rest of the country

Mayo4Sam

3 thoughts. 1. Bray, massive loss. 2. Joe sheridan, am i the only one to think he is the most over-rated footballer ever. 3. Tyrone & Cork are streets ahead of there 2
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

stephenite

Quote from: JMohan on August 04, 2009, 01:15:20 AM

Connacht football is not at the same standard as Leinster, Munster or Ulster football and I expect when Mayo meet a good team like Kerry/Cork/Tyrone .... even a Kildare or Dublin ... Mayo (Galway even) will get stuffed

Yeah - I suspect the same to be honest. It won't surprise me if we beat Meath, but it won't surprise me if they turn us over either.

Croke Park can do funny things to players as we saw yesterday

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: JMohan on August 04, 2009, 01:15:20 AM

Are you sure you have not confused the words Leinster & Connacht, ha ha when will the boys over in the backlands of the East & the Medja realise that its not Connacht football that is miles behind but Leinster, no All-Ireland Finalist since 2001, no Winner since 1995, & feck all Semis in the last decade WOW  ::)