Mayo Vs Meath - All-Ireland Quarter Finals

Started by AbbeySider, July 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

I'd never regard Mort as a complete footballer but he is very good at what he can do.
He is neither tall nor aggressive enough to mix it one to one with most defenders. Up to the start of the present championships season, I was honestly convinced that O'Mahony was totally clueless and had lost whatever marbles he used to have.
For me at any rate, his use of Conereen is a case in point. Against Tyrone last year, he was left isolated against Gormley who was let batter him all through the game. McMenamin nearly creased him when he wound up across the Tyrone goal line. The ref continued to turn a blind eye to what Tyrone were doing to him all throughout the game.
Now, I think all of that was outside Mort's control and there's no use in moaning about it now but the manager should have spotted that hoofing high balls in on top of him in a two man ff line was never going to produce dividends.
Those outside him kept this up and Mort got loads of abuse form Mayo fans for having such an ineffective game. This  was most unfair in my opinion; the fault lay elsewhere. There wasn't a semblance of a Plan A, never mind a plan B that day.
JOM appears to be far more with it this year and Mort's style of play doesn't seem to fit in with his game plan.
When Ciaran Mac was there to deliver inch perfect ground passes to him, he could sling points over consistently.  He used to run out to meet the ball and get so low he would slide along the ground to pick it up. No wonder he got his All Star when Mac was there to feed him.
O'Mahony seems to be going for height in his FF line and Mortimer doesn't fit into this plan.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

omagh_gael

It's Mayo v Meath so, does everyone have their boxing gloves??!

moysider

John Maughan seems intent on keeping it lit under Johnno. You have to love it. The ordinary garden supporter in Mayo is cautioned to keep a lid on things and then a man who maybe saw the  negative effects  in the recent past cant help layering it on with a trowel. Here a few of his thoughts from this weeks Advertiser.

How good are Mayo really?
Mayo Advertiser, July 31, 2009.

I am finding it fairly difficult to establish just how good this current Mayo team really are, so I have conducted my own little independent survey among knowledgeable footballing friends from outside the county. Every single person I have spoken to since Mayo's Connacht final victory over Galway has suggested that the Mayo team is in with a serious shout of winning this year's All-Ireland title. They love the fact that this present group of players is big and strong with lots of ball winners particularly in the central positions. They also argue that it is a team that appears capable of scoring goals.

Looking at what is left in the championship I genuinely believe that Mayo are capable of beating any one of the remaining teams. I was hoping that Mayo would avoid Kerry in the quarter-final draw last Sunday and thankfully we did. It appears from afar that all is not well in their camp at present, but I can guarantee you they are, this week, six or seven points a better team than they were this time last week. They overcame the game challenge of Antrim in Tullamore last Sunday and will benefit enormously from that victory. They love Croke Park and produce their best football at HQ. While I accept they are not nearly as formidable as they once were, I still think they are best avoided at this juncture. If we had been drawn to play them next weekend and then beaten them in Croke Park, I feel that the hype would kick off a month too early!

The draw, however, has Mayo paired with the winners of Meath and Limerick. I would love to see Mayo draw Meath, as we owe them one from 1996. Whether it is Meath or Limerick, however, it is generally accepted that this is a fantastic draw from a Mayo perspective. I believe that, deep down, the Mayo management recognise this too but will be most anxious not to convey that feeling to the team. I have a sneaking suspicion that Limerick might be good enough to beat Meath tomorrow for the second year in a row. If you recall Limerick destroyed Meath last year in a 'back door' game that led to the immediate resignation of Colm Coyle, the Meath manager. Limerick are probably a better team this year and I am not convinced that Meath have improved in the last 12 months. John O'Mahony and his management team will almost certainly make their way to Portlaoise tomorrow for the 7pm throw-in to analyse their quarter-final opponents. Management are leaving nothing to chance as I believe they covered every match last weekend before the draw on Sunday evening. That involved taking to the air after training in Castlebar last Sunday to be in time for the Kerry v Antrim match in Tullamore. They almost certainly will take in the big one in Croker on Monday afternoon, as it will be the winners of the Dubs v Kerry that Mayo, should they advance, play in the semi-final. Exciting times indeed!

He might as well be behind the dugout roaring ´no pressure Johnno, no pressure´. Great gas entirely. Almost a subplot to the football itself.
Should be an interesting week now. Fortunately I m away at the moment but I ll miss the build up for this one. Personally I dont mind the hype. Unless the team can deal with all the stuff about 96, and there ll be plenty of it, then there would nt be much point later facing Dubs, Kerry, Tyrone etc.

Eastern_Pride

Luck of the draw eh? The worst provincial winner get the 2 weakest teams left in the championship. Will ease through against meath but will be shown up in the semis.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

ildanach

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 01, 2009, 09:57:17 PM
Luck of the draw eh? The worst provincial winner get the 2 weakest teams left in the championship. Will ease through against meath but will be shown up in the semis.

sure we might as well not bother with the game at all then if we are only turning up to make up the numbers
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Son_of_Sam

Cop yourself on. Shown up in the Semis!  ::) Same thing said to us every time we proceed to yet another All-Ireland Final.

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 01, 2009, 10:01:39 PM

Cop yourself on. Shown up in the Semis!  ::) Same thing said to us every time we proceed to yet another All-Ireland Final.
Where you get shown up......

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 01, 2009, 10:03:48 PM
Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 01, 2009, 10:01:39 PM

Where you get shown up......

Not by a county from Leinster anyways  :D

Rossfan

Luck of the draw eh? The worst provincial winner get the 2 weakest teams left in the championship.

Eejit.
When was that competition held?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Son_of_Sam

Just wondering what a Wicklowman would know about winning provincials anyways  ;D

Eastern_Pride

I don't know now with this team firing on all cylinders and ''luck of the draw'' could be a wicklow mayo all ireland semi come 2011...well wicklow anyway with a young growing team....

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 01, 2009, 10:29:33 PM
I don't know now with this team firing on all cylinders and ''luck of the draw'' could be a wicklow mayo all ireland semi come 2011...well wicklow anyway with a young growing team....

:D

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 01, 2009, 10:34:54 PM

Go on then i suppose mayo would walk through the over 40's all-ireland

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 01, 2009, 10:36:34 PM
Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 01, 2009, 10:34:54 PM

Go on then i suppose mayo would walk through the over 40's all-ireland

Mayo average age is about 23 years old, so its hardly what you would call old.

Ha ha plenty of under-age talent in Mayo, winning more of those Provincial things ya wouldn't know about them either I suppose.

MAYO
All-Ireland Senior Football Championships: 3
1936, 1950, 1951
All-Ireland Junior Football Championships: 5
1933, 1950, 1957, 1995, 1997
All-Ireland Under-21 Football Championships: 4
1967, 1974, 1983, 2006
All-Ireland Minor Football Championships: 6
1935, 1953, 1966, 1971, 1978, 1985
Vocational Schools Championship 4
1971, 1975, 1982, 1999
National Football Leagues: 11
1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1949, 1954, 1970, 2001
Connacht Senior Football Championships: 42
1901, '03, '04, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '15, '16, '18, '20, '21, '23, '24, '29, '30, '31, '32, '35, '36, '37, '39, '48, '49, '50, '51, '55, '67, '69, '81, '85, '88, '89, '92, '93, '96, '97, '99, 2004, '06, '09

WICKLOW
Tommy Murphy Cup - 2007
All-Ireland SFC B 1992
All-Ireland JFC - 1936, 2002