Mayo Vs Meath - All-Ireland Quarter Finals

Started by AbbeySider, July 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

Rumours abound on the St Kilda section of bigfooty website. No detail though.

Link here

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=15224524#post15224524

On the Barry Moran thing, I think he would be a great loss. I thought he played well against Galway, broke any decent ball that came into him, and prevented the full back line from double tagging AOS when high balls were coming in.

Also, I thought he was excellent in stopping the Galway backs coming out with the ball and can remember at least two incidents, once when he robbed the ball and another when he forced a free.
Hasta la victoria siempre

moysider

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 30, 2009, 12:38:35 AM

Link here

On the Barry Moran thing, I think he would be a great loss. I thought he played well against Galway, broke any decent ball that came into him, and prevented the full back line from double tagging AOS when high balls were coming in.

Also, I thought he was excellent in stopping the Galway backs coming out with the ball and can remember at least two incidents, once when he robbed the ball and another when he forced a free.

Wow. Now that Oz link certainly puts the cat among the pigeons. Did nt see this train coming.

moysider

f**k it, this is awful. First Barry Moran injury now this Caf story. Just when things were looking up a bit.

I would go with Parsons as a direct replacement for Moran. He can always be redirected to midfield later in a game. A ff line of Mort the younger - the gloved one- O Sé and Killer would be a bully magnet. Billy Joe next best option to Parsons there. My own preference for the 'small' man would be Ronaldson

mayo51

bad news about moran.will be a loss.i would think tom parsons will be morans replacement with trevor mort going to full forward and parsons in the half forward line. i do not see j.om placing parsons in f.f where he has never really played before. i am hoping the news about caff is not true as it would be a big blow to us,but lets not forget about westports kevin keane who was very impressive in last years minor team

Barney

Kevin Keane certainly is a future senior player but Cafferkey has been brilliant this season.

The only ray of hope that I would have is that it does not appear that he has had a trial with the Aussies. Anybody that has gone down there on contracts appear to have gone through a rigorous trial process both here and there firstly so fingers crossed. He would be a massive loss.

I suppose the biggest problem with keeping players, as alluded to by moysider, is emigration rather than AFL. In Mayo we are acutely aware of this problem from our history.

Tubberman

That Cafferkey deal is a real sickener if true  :(
We finally found a full back who looks comfortable there and could be there for the next 10 years. I hope it turns out to be bull, it seems strange when there was no talk of scouts sniffing around him, or him attending trials.
Kevin Keane looked excellent for the minors last year, but I don't think you can put him down as a certainty for the senior team. He wasn't as commanding for the U-21s this year (which is understandable) and senior is a different level altogether.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 30, 2009, 12:38:35 AM

Link here

Uh oh. Very bad news from a Mayo perspective. A two year rookie contract does seem bizarre. Has there been much communication up to now??
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

venter

Thats bad news about Barry Moran. He is doing a decent job and more importantly is deflecting a lot of the attention away from O'Se. I would go with BJP or Tom Parsons as a direct replacement. It's great having someone like Tom Parsons to come in at midfield but he's well capable and maybe we should be biting the bullet and getting him in from the start.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Bod Mor on July 29, 2009, 11:41:07 PM
That's bad about Barry Moran, fecks up the game plan.

What about bringing in Billie Joe in to replace him? He's no stranger to the full forward line either...

Quote from: moysider on July 30, 2009, 01:53:55 AM
Billy Joe next best option to Parsons there.

No way, Billy Joe has been tried in FullForward line by maughan and M&M to no effect. His best position is on the half forward line.
I never ever want to see that again.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on July 30, 2009, 08:51:56 AM
Kevin Keane looked excellent for the minors last year, but I don't think you can put him down as a certainty for the senior team. He wasn't as commanding for the U-21s this year (which is understandable) and senior is a different level altogether.

Quote from: mayo51 on July 30, 2009, 02:21:59 AM
but lets not forget about westports kevin keane who was very impressive in last years minor team

Quote from: Barney on July 30, 2009, 08:19:11 AM
Kevin Keane certainly is a future senior player but Cafferkey has been brilliant this season.

No offence, but I dont think Kevin Keane will ever make it at Senior level for Mayo.
I have watched him in club games this year and especially U21 last year and he is very average.
Granted, he had a good campaign for the minors last year but saying that he is a cert for Mayo Senior team is way off the mark.

AbbeySider

AbbeySider

Mayo News Exclusive;

If its only a broken finger, its not as bad...
But he is a doubt against Meath/Limerick...

BARRY Moran is considered a major doubt for Mayo's All-Ireland Quarter-Final against either Limerick or Meath on Sunday week, August 9.
The Castlebar Mitchels man suffered a broken finger at county training last night (Tuesday) and now faces a race against time to be fit for the Croke Park showdown.
Moran has started all three of Mayo's opening championship fixtures – against New York, Roscommon and Galway – but this is the latest in a long line of injuries that has hampered his career.
Meanwhile, Mayo players and management will meet the press after training on Thursday night.

Didnt Aidan O Shea play with a broken finger last year for the minors?

Tubberman

QuoteMayo News Exclusive;

If its only a broken finger, its not as bad...
But he is a doubt against Meath/Limerick...

BARRY Moran is considered a major doubt for Mayo's All-Ireland Quarter-Final against either Limerick or Meath on Sunday week, August 9.
The Castlebar Mitchels man suffered a broken finger at county training last night (Tuesday) and now faces a race against time to be fit for the Croke Park showdown.
Moran has started all three of Mayo's opening championship fixtures – against New York, Roscommon and Galway – but this is the latest in a long line of injuries that has hampered his career.
Meanwhile, Mayo players and management will meet the press after training on Thursday night.

Didnt Aidan O Shea play with a broken finger last year for the minors?

Broken finger - that won't keep him out for long thank God.
As you said Abbeysider, Aidan O'Shea played last year (was it the final?) with a broken finger. He got injections before and after the match, but it didn't seem to impede him too much when he was playing.
We had McGarrity back earlier than expected, hopefully we'll be lucky enough to get Barry Moran back on time for the q-final.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

GBXII

If its just a broken finger then thats not so bad even though I heard it was his wrist aswel. Still I seriously doubt he'll play.. Barry is a big loss. He hasn't been getting enough credit for the way he has been playing and the point about him deflecting attention away from O'Shea is certainly a valid one.

In that sense, I have to say I'm liking this idea of Tom Parsons at FF. If he doesn't work out I feel we are interchangable enough to bring him out to midfield and bring in Ronladson or someone like that. But at least it keeps the game plan the same and it means that all the attention won't be focused on O'Shea. Also, I think Pasrons has an eye for goal. Definitely agree with keeping C Mort on the bench. He seemed really hungry the last day coming on, which is a good asset to have, and anyway Kilcoyne is playing pretty well.

AbbeySider

Quote from: GBXII on July 30, 2009, 12:21:12 PM
If its just a broken finger then thats not so bad even though I heard it was his wrist aswel. Still I seriously doubt he'll play.. Barry is a big loss. He hasn't been getting enough credit for the way he has been playing and the point about him deflecting attention away from O'Shea is certainly a valid one.

In that sense, I have to say I'm liking this idea of Tom Parsons at FF. If he doesn't work out I feel we are interchangable enough to bring him out to midfield and bring in Ronladson or someone like that. But at least it keeps the game plan the same and it means that all the attention won't be focused on O'Shea. Also, I think Pasrons has an eye for goal. Definitely agree with keeping C Mort on the bench. He seemed really hungry the last day coming on, which is a good asset to have, and anyway Kilcoyne is playing pretty well.

I know Ronnie played corner forward before but he looked out of his depth in Tralee against Kerry earlier this year in the league. I thought he had a terrible game but it was very early in the season.
Would you throw Austie in there? He works very well 'on the loop' and hooking it over the bar off either foot... I know people will be harping on aout pace and not being up to championship, but with O Shea there to break and win ball it could work for AOM and killer each side.
With MJ Mort in reserve as an impact sub.