Armagh management :Paddy O'Rourke!!!

Started by armaghniac, July 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Funny how everyone is throwing names around like confetti but the one obvious candidate within the county hardly getting a mention is Donal Murtagh. A young manager, who has won 3 Ulster clubs, one AI and another AI final appearance, in the space of 4 years. Managing Crossmaglen for me is pretty much equivalent to managing a county team. 

Strange that. Maybe we don't always see something that's straight in front of our eyes.
That's just, like your opinion man.

The GAA

Have to say i like the o'rourke suggestion. team him up with marsden and maybe someone like Jim McCorry and let them at it. Bright, young and hungry.

Don't know donal murtagh myself but that htere isn't a big push for him from cross is quite telling, is it not?

The GAA

While i take your point (pardon the pun) generally, McCorry has done very well with Kilcoo with very limited resources. He is also well spoken about by those who were involved with him at minor level. His role in that scenario is one of an older advisory capacity given the youth of the names i'd put out front.

no disrespect to donal but if the cross players do not consider him county management material then they know better than us. Also, i didn't want to go down this line, but who wouldn't have won what he did with that cross team?

The Pundit

Quote from: Logan on September 18, 2009, 08:28:20 AM
Maybe Aidan O'Rourke is the man?
Yes especially since his retirement from county duty (a fact not mentioned on here.)  He is a young bright hungry manager with already a good track record.  He had done well with queens and is highly regarded by anyone who has worked with him.  Who else is there really? donal murtagh? maybe. The only thing regarding AOR would be the situation with trying to manage his own brothers which could be difficult and the kernans because there might only be one or two there if he was the manager. Anyway lets all get behind the minors tomorrow ans sort this god forsaken mess out next week!
Quote from: The GAA on September 19, 2009, 07:56:39 AM

Have to say i like the o'rourke suggestion. team him up with marsden and maybe someone like Jim McCorry and let them at it. Bright, young and hungry.

Don't know donal murtagh myself but that htere isn't a big push for him from cross is quite telling, is it not?
Jim mc corry? Roman Abramovich wouldnt have the money to pay him. ;)

irunthev

Is Malachy O'Rourke not a potential option here lads? Won a Dublin SFC with UCD a couple of years back. Young, intelligent and knows his football. Managed Dromintee for a while too I believe.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: The GAA on September 19, 2009, 09:32:44 AM

While i take your point (pardon the pun) generally, McCorry has done very well with Kilcoo with very limited resources. He is also well spoken about by those who were involved with him at minor level. His role in that scenario is one of an older advisory capacity given the youth of the names i'd put out front.

no disrespect to donal but if the cross players do not consider him county management material then they know better than us. Also, i didn't want to go down this line, but who wouldn't have won what he did with that cross team?

Packie McConville and Ollie Short? (no disrepect meant to either man but just illustrating that good as that Cross team was, they weren't so far ahead that success at Ulster and All Ireland level was a given)
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: The Pundit on September 19, 2009, 01:29:41 PM
Quote from: Logan on September 18, 2009, 08:28:20 AM
Maybe Aidan O'Rourke is the man?
Yes especially since his retirement from county duty (a fact not mentioned on here.)  He is a young bright hungry manager with already a good track record.  He had done well with queens and is highly regarded by anyone who has worked with him.  Who else is there really? donal murtagh? maybe. The only thing regarding AOR would be the situation with trying to manage his own brothers which could be difficult and the kernans because there might only be one or two there if he was the manager. Anyway lets all get behind the minors tomorrow ans sort this god forsaken mess out next week!

Jim mc corry? Roman Abramovich wouldnt have the money to pay him. ;)

Record with Queens is fairly unremarkable although he took them over at a bad time. Think Aidan is far to close to the current panel as a player. The same reservations exist with regards his brothers as would there with Joe for his sons. Bound to have been a bit of agitation amongs the panel at him starting against Monaghan as well.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

armagh leg-end

Thats because cross want to keep him!
Ard Mhacha Abu

Cúig huaire

I hear Lofty Larkin is looking for a job at the minute. He is off the drink and has been sighted around his old haunts in Newry over the last couple of weeks. He would be an ideal man for the job and lets face it he would probably be at the front of the queue at the minute. Apparently Marty Bogroll has already refused to take the job.  ;)
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

full back

Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 21, 2009, 12:50:56 PM
I hear Lofty Larkin is looking for a job at the minute. He is off the drink and has been sighted around his old haunts in Newry over the last couple of weeks. He would be an ideal man for the job and lets face it he would probably be at the front of the queue at the minute. Apparently Marty Bogroll has already refused to take the job.  ;)

Would be afraid to involve Lofty in the process or to even interview him incase he went whingeing to the press after it ;)

DuffleKing

The new down management team might have ticked all the boxes for armagh?

Have to say i don't like the thought of Pete McGrath being involved at all at all.

Given the situation i'd take a gamble on someone like aidan o'rourke too.

DownFanatic

Aidan O'Rourke is your man.

Ive never heard so many Sigerson players that played under him have such high praise for his managerial capabilities.

Cúig huaire

Quote from: full back on September 21, 2009, 12:55:50 PM
Quote from: Cúig huaire on September 21, 2009, 12:50:56 PM

Would be afraid to involve Lofty in the process or to even interview him incase he went whingeing to the press after it ;)

Word is Lofty turned the job down last week, so he may well go running to the Newry Reporter this week. Apparently now that lofty is on the wagon even he can see that only a fool would take the job on.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: DuffleKing on September 21, 2009, 07:08:24 PM

The new down management team might have ticked all the boxes for armagh?

Have to say i don't like the thought of Pete McGrath being involved at all at all.

Given the situation i'd take a gamble on someone like aidan o'rourke too.
I would go for Kermit the Frog over McGrath
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Cúig huaire

Has Kermit won 2 All Irelands? Then again did Big Joe?  :D