Armagh management :Paddy O'Rourke!!!

Started by armaghniac, July 21, 2009, 05:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

I do feel that it is fair to say that county managers seldom if ever have the full support of their playing squad, no matter how successful that a team is. Where it becomes an issue though is when things don't go well, that's when the finger pointing will go on. Players have their own opinions and when you bring 30 fairly talented players together, all with their own opinions on how the game should be played or how a team should be trained, then you are fooling yourself if you feel that they will all be happy campers all the time. Players show their discontent in various ways. Some are lucky enough to be able to shrug their shoulders and say that that is just the way it is; some will cause friction in the camp, some will walk away quietly, while others will cause friction from outside the camp. Had Armagh beaten Monaghan then Peter Mc wouldn't be using the leaking as an excuse and ultimately, what you have to consider was it the only cause of Armagh's demise... probably not. Generally there will be more to it than that. That's not a pop at McDonnell by any means, just the fact of the matter is that had Armagh won that game, then the leaking of the team would never have been made public and everyone would have moved on.

Aoise

I would have to disagree with PMcD there when he says that there was a need for instant success.  I feel he is missing the point entirely and thats why I'm glad he's gone.  People didn't think Armagh were going to have instant success, Armagh people wanted to see a few transitional years where new tactics were created and new personnell drafted in.  Last year could have been forgotten if a new direction had have been implemented this year - it wasn't, and we're not all so daft to believe that a 'published' team as opposed to the 'real' team was going to make a button of difference.  It wouldn't have because it wasn't just the tactics that was wrong with that team that fielded against Monaghan, EVERYTHING was wrong! Peter Makem is totally correct when he says that there needs to be a clear out and a new system brought in.  As we have seen in the last couple of weeks, politics within our structures is very prevalent and I think an awful lot of Armagh Gaels feel very ostracised by this.

We're all left wondering what the hell is going on - this cloak and dagger approach has not helped and I just wish someone would come out and call a spade a spade as all this information holding is just another way to say, we really know whats going on but ordinary Gaels around the County are just the plebs who will complain on their armchairs.  FFS someone sort it out and if someone can't then the ordinary Gaels needs to put a bit of pressure on their clubs for them all to come together and act.  Finally bringing a bit of democracy back into this thing.  Question, why does it always seem to be up to the same individuals as to what happens at county level?  Secondary question, when do any of you remember being consulted as members of your clubs about what we would like to see happening at county level with regard to important decisions?  If the GAA's whole raison d'etre is egalitarianism and equality, it sure is lacking in County Armagh.

Why don't the clubs call together an inter-county congress of sorts with not just administrators, but with volunteers and ordinary members to nominate people for a task force for a 5 year strategic plan for Armagh football?  This task force should undoubtedly identify good administrators, but also people who know about football and are well placed to identify and bring the BEST footballers we have from all over the county and build a new force for us and with that a good tactical and moral building management team which can concentrate on what they should be concentrating on and not internal politics.  I'm personnally embarrassed by our public representatives this week and its just my opinion but Peter Makem is not far off the mark - I would go further and call for a full clear out!!!

Orior

Quote from: Diet Coke on July 24, 2009, 02:10:14 PM
IMHO only one man for the job...Adrian Clarke, currently at Carrickmore.

Other options are:

1) Samuel L. Jackson

2) Emilio Estevez

Both these guys seem to have done well with an average squad.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Diet Coke

Quote from: Orior on July 24, 2009, 03:50:17 PM

Other options are:

1) Samuel L. Jackson

2) Emilio Estevez

Maybe they could form part of the backroom team ;)
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

orangeman

Quote from: irunthev on July 24, 2009, 10:21:30 AM
Re Peter Makem article: firstly well written and enjoyable read, secondly, he would appear to make a lot of sense. I'm no expert on the history of Armagh football, but he certainly appears to be and if what he is saying is true, then his points are worth considering.

Smart fella. Knows his stuff.

slievegullion

Quote from: Orior on July 24, 2009, 03:50:17 PM

Other options are:

1) Samuel L. Jackson

2) Emilio Estevez

I for one would like to see Armagh instigate some sort of 'flying-V' attacking strategy.

corn02

Quote from: Diet Coke on July 24, 2009, 01:24:02 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 23, 2009, 09:12:00 PM
Quote from: Diet Coke on July 23, 2009, 08:06:45 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 23, 2009, 11:37:48 AM
Quote from: Orior on July 23, 2009, 11:32:02 AM
Quote from: Diet Coke on July 23, 2009, 11:21:56 AM
Face facts.......Armagh do not have the quality footballers............how many of the current squad/team would make it onto the Tyrone panel?

Brendan Donaghy
Andy Mallon
Ciaran McKeever
Charlie Vernon
Stevie McDonnell
Ronan Clarke

Just the panel? You can throw in McEvoy, Aaron Kernan, a fit Marty O'Rourke, Kieran Toner, Brian Mallon, Kevin O'Rourke, Stephen Kernan - all of these would undobtedly make the panel for me. Starters, however, would be very low.
Of the lads mentioned only Clarke is capable of kicking the ball over the bar from outside the 21  ::)

The only ones unable to would be Martin O Rourke, McEvoy - the keeper - and Toner - the midfielder.

So dont talk shit chap!
When was the last time Mallon, S Kernan scored for Armagh from outside the 21?
My point is all of Tyrones players are capable and often do score from all over the park.....Jordan and D Harte feature regularly on Tyrone's scoresheet, so the only shit talk is coming from yourself!! :D

Both reguarly do. Mallon got two points in his last game ffs while SK has choipped in with a couple of scores in almost every Championship game he has played.

So quit talking shit.

corn02

Quote from: orangeman on July 24, 2009, 08:27:25 PM
Quote from: irunthev on July 24, 2009, 10:21:30 AM
Re Peter Makem article: firstly well written and enjoyable read, secondly, he would appear to make a lot of sense. I'm no expert on the history of Armagh football, but he certainly appears to be and if what he is saying is true, then his points are worth considering.

Smart fella. Knows his stuff.

No disrespect to him, but anyone could say we need a new system. Just isn't as easy as stating it.

slievegullion

Quote from: corn02 on July 25, 2009, 02:51:10 PM
Quote from: Diet Coke on July 24, 2009, 01:24:02 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 23, 2009, 09:12:00 PM
Quote from: Diet Coke on July 23, 2009, 08:06:45 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 23, 2009, 11:37:48 AM
Quote from: Orior on July 23, 2009, 11:32:02 AM
Quote from: Diet Coke on July 23, 2009, 11:21:56 AM
Face facts.......Armagh do not have the quality footballers............how many of the current squad/team would make it onto the Tyrone panel?

Brendan Donaghy
Andy Mallon
Ciaran McKeever
Charlie Vernon
Stevie McDonnell
Ronan Clarke

Just the panel? You can throw in McEvoy, Aaron Kernan, a fit Marty O'Rourke, Kieran Toner, Brian Mallon, Kevin O'Rourke, Stephen Kernan - all of these would undobtedly make the panel for me. Starters, however, would be very low.
Of the lads mentioned only Clarke is capable of kicking the ball over the bar from outside the 21  ::)

The only ones unable to would be Martin O Rourke, McEvoy - the keeper - and Toner - the midfielder.

So dont talk shit chap!
When was the last time Mallon, S Kernan scored for Armagh from outside the 21?
My point is all of Tyrones players are capable and often do score from all over the park.....Jordan and D Harte feature regularly on Tyrone's scoresheet, so the only shit talk is coming from yourself!! :D

Both reguarly do. Mallon got two points in his last game ffs while SK has choipped in with a couple of scores in almost every Championship game he has played.

So quit talking shit.

He did what now?

corn02

Quote from: slievegullion on July 24, 2009, 01:26:33 PM

A large family yawn bucket with 4 sides of beans a bottle of pepsi.

Sorry, I forgot you were the King of the Keyboard.

Orior

Any chance that the backstabbers might be outed and Peter McDonnell invited to take up the post again?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Diet Coke

Quote from: Orior on July 25, 2009, 04:59:26 PM
Any chance that the backstabbers might be outed and Peter McDonnell invited to take up the post again?

About as much chance as Corn talking sense :D
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 25, 2009, 04:24:37 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 25, 2009, 02:52:29 PM

No disrespect to him, but anyone could say we need a new system. Just isn't as easy as stating it.

Exactly, I think everyone on the Board has been asking for and suggesting new systems.  

Yes I agree, but while we know that a new system is needed, Peter Makem might have a better idea about what that system might be; he's a shrewd football man.
"Stercus accidit"

orangeman

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 25, 2009, 05:28:21 PM
Quote from: Orior on July 25, 2009, 04:59:26 PM

The most likely scenario. 

Can't see that personally. Too much said / implied.