Fastest GAA Player Over 100 Metres

Started by Bud Wiser, July 20, 2009, 10:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

I would say only Antrim fellas will remember this chap, but Paul Donnelly of St Pauls and formerly Antrim was the fastest player I have seen in the flesh, he was like a greyhound. There can't be too many quicker than Tony Scullion at present.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

No way ref

for anyone with a good memory Kevin Mc Cabe was a superb athlete

Reillers

The young Cork lad Cathal Naughton might be up there, he's electric pace.

moysider

Quote from: muppet on July 20, 2009, 10:14:24 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 20, 2009, 09:33:39 PM

James Nallen.

I would think Peadar Gardiner is the quickest on the Mayo squad although I was impressed with Cafferkey yesterday twice catching Micheal Meehan after giving him a 5 yard start.

Gardiner is quick too. First cousin of James N so its in the genes. Cafferkey is really fast alright. Keith Higgins too. Mayo have a lot of athletic lads now. As well as those already mentioned Trevor and Vaughan can move too.

JMohan

Over 100m it must be a half back or midfielder which is why I'd have Sean Cavanagh, Darren Hughes, Graham Canty, Barry Cahill all up there

INDIANA

Quote from: JMohan on July 21, 2009, 08:13:02 AM
Over 100m it must be a half back or midfielder which is why I'd have Sean Cavanagh, Darren Hughes, Graham Canty, Barry Cahill all up there

I'd lay any odds Stephen Kelly is the fastest. Seen him play winger for Shannon last season. I think he'd beat all of the above.

JMohan

Possibly up to 60m.
After that I doubt it.
100m is a hell of a sprint.
Joe Diver would be another candidate.

nrico2006

The O'Connors from Cork and Eddie Brennan have serious pace, also the Sligo fella who won the penalty on Saturday seemed to be electric.  Other quick players would be Penrose, Cavanagh, Darren and Declan O'Sullivan.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

5 Sams

For all youse oul timers out there....

I give you the fastest man ever over 10 yards....

The Aristocrat Years

Bud Wiser

Nice to see a few hurlers mentioned lads, unlike the press statement.  I wonder how they are going to select the runners?  Ideally each county board should have to notify each club and each club nominate their fastest player over the one hundred meters, otherwise we could end up with someone like John Gardiner and then the GPA not allowing him to run on the day.  

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzus, I can't help myself with this Cork thing, I know, I know I need help, but can you imagine the headlines in the paper on the Munda when a well known Cork hurler is pictured beside Gillick or Dervla and the headlines say, Spot The Difference between the two runners pictured side by side and it says:

The one on the right represents her country in the Olympics and has/had  the benefit of 5,000 euro a year funding from thge Sports Council.
The one on the inside track so to speak has a free car, opens more supermarkets than defences, has more miles clocked up in expenses than an Appollo astronaut and all in all is much faster when it comes to creating a higher profile for himself and earning more money and perks than anyone who ever represented Ireland in any sport.

Anyway, ye have named a good few names but how do we put them in the correct order?  Maybe if ye all named 3 players/runners out of what has been named so far and I will take out my Proportional Representation calculator?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

INDIANA

Quote from: JMohan on July 21, 2009, 08:25:38 AM
Possibly up to 60m.
After that I doubt it.
100m is a hell of a sprint.
Joe Diver would be another candidate.

Wouldn't agree- most rugby wingers are former 100m runners. Habana for instance has done 10.5 for the 100m.
Kelly has done sub 11 seconds when he trained with munster. Cavanagh maybe- wouldn't see the rest in that league.

DuffleKing

well trained gaelic players would not be natural 100m runners. good 100m runners are accelerating to 60m and sustaining that for the final 40m. gaelic players shouuld be train for 20-25m accelerations.

Andrew mallon would be armagh's fastest over any distance. absolute rocket.

AAAA

dodo

Never seen anything as quick as Cathal Naughton, going about his man still gets there first when his marker runs in a straight line.

Logan

Quote from: INDIANA on July 21, 2009, 10:29:40 AM
Wouldn't agree- most rugby wingers are former 100m runners. Habana for instance has done 10.5 for the 100m.
Kelly has done sub 11 seconds when he trained with munster. Cavanagh maybe- wouldn't see the rest in that league.
Just one or two questions/points on this ...

- I don't think most rugby wingers were 100m sprinters 
- Habana is a full time pro
- Times are very often exaggerated
- Never knew Kelly played with Munster
- A sub 11 sec 100m with a rugby team is a completely different thing to a sub 11 sec 100m track meet
- A smaller guy like him would struggle with the full 100m pace - taller guys have a huge advantage
- There is no way I believe that he ran a 'proper' sub 11 sec track 100m