Benny Coulter

Started by AAAA, July 15, 2009, 02:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bomber2312

Quote from: Trevor Hill on July 17, 2009, 07:30:03 PM
Clarke and McDonnell on this years performances??? Dooher has barely kicked a ball and Freeman has watched the last 2 games from the stand.

posters have given coulter the benefit of the doubt because he was in a bad down team, think these players should also be afforded similar type of stance

Cúig huaire

Quote from: Bomber2312 on July 17, 2009, 09:29:31 PM
Coulter might get into any team in the country but certainly not an all ireland xv

??????????????
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Cúig huaire

If he is good enough to walk onto any team in Ireland then surely he is good enough to walk onto an Ireland team. Actually he does walk onto the Ireland International Rules team so that nullifies that argument.

Cúig huaire

I see the point you are trying to make, but I don't see it as logical.
Gooch has been dire all year, Donaghy has been on the treatment bench more than he has been on the field, Dooher likewise. Cavanagh has been very off colour and moved to midfield (I think) and O`Neill could throw the dolly out of the pram at anytime and go off in another huff. In saying that he has been good all year, without ever reaching his best.
I cannot comment on Coulter this year as I haven't seen a championship game yet, tomorrow will be my first this year, but I heard he was back to his best last week and we will need him at that level tomorrow if we are to progress. I would have him in any "Ireland team", playing off Donaghy and alongside the Gooch, if they were all on form.
It is all hypothetical though.

Mid Down Gael

i was only trying to point out that i've named 13 forwards there excluding coulter who would stake a claim for a place on an all ireland team. You could add in tommy walsh, conor mortimer and matty forde. Now i'm not saying that all of these are ahead of coulter but i reckon any of the players mentioned could be argued for their inclusion. I'm aware that they all have limitations and dooher and joyce are pushing on. Coulter might get into any team in the country but certainly not an all ireland xv

Is that the Conor Mortimor who cant get a starting place with Mayo? And Matty Forde who has hardly featured this year? Catch a grip.

bcarrier

I had high hopes for Benny. Never really delivered on minor promise for me. Jinxys point that he doesnt score enough  points is valid IMO.

Still he is a very good footballer...possibly 3rd best mayobridge ever produced  :) . Excellent at compromise game and maybe if he had a Star Donaghy to play of might have delivered more.

mournerambler

Quote from: bcarrier on July 17, 2009, 10:41:43 PM
I had high hopes for Benny. Never really delivered on minor promise for me. Jinxys point that he doesnt score enough  points is valid IMO.

Still he is a very good footballer...possibly 3rd best mayobridge ever produced  :) . Excellent at compromise game and maybe if he had a Star Donaghy to play of might have delivered more.

Aren't you lucky it wasn't a major promise he made to you bcarrier :P

fitzroyalty

Clarke and McDonnell on this years performances??? Dooher has barely kicked a ball and Freeman has watched the last 2 games from the stand.
Clarke definitely. McDonnell not so much.

Jinxy

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on July 17, 2009, 10:39:04 PM
i was only trying to point out that i've named 13 forwards there excluding coulter who would stake a claim for a place on an all ireland team. You could add in tommy walsh, conor mortimer and matty forde. Now i'm not saying that all of these are ahead of coulter but i reckon any of the players mentioned could be argued for their inclusion. I'm aware that they all have limitations and dooher and joyce are pushing on. Coulter might get into any team in the country but certainly not an all ireland xv

Is that the Conor Mortimor who cant get a starting place with Mayo? And Matty Forde who has hardly featured this year? Catch a grip.

Matty Forde is injured and he's twice the player Coulter is.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Trevor Hill

Quote from: fitzroyalty on July 17, 2009, 11:46:26 PM
Clarke definitely. McDonnell not so much.

Only if Pat McEnaney is the referee  ;)

goldenyears

There is no doubting that Benny is a class footballer.

He would play on any team in ireland and make them a better team and that says it all for me

His fantastic all action style is so good to watch, its just a shame he came along in an era where Down have been in the doldrums

One slight criticism is that he doesn't kick enough points

But a fair point has been made that he doesn't hit frees which would undoubtedly put him in a different light

Bomber2312

all the down boys getting fierce defensive.

We're dealing with facts mortimer and forde were all stars so they deserve mention.

How much did benny score in division 3 this year?

I'm not having a pop at him or down, the players i mentioned above without checking the stats probably have scored more in their inter county careers than benny coulter.

Farrandeelin

He wasn't worth tuppence today.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

downgirl

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 18, 2009, 06:03:43 PM

But he is still lovely!!  :D :D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: downgirl on July 19, 2009, 07:34:49 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 18, 2009, 06:03:43 PM

But he is still lovely!!  :D :D
If you like ugly men, and in fairness Down is full of them  ;D