Donegal vs Derry

Started by Atticus_Finch, July 12, 2009, 07:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

And Ryan McMenamin floundering after him?
Breaking through the Tyrone defence to blaze a ball marginally over the bar?
Scoring 4 points out of 7? ......... While starved of posession?
Sinking one free and a 45?

When no other Derry man apart from O'Kane and Diver were playing near potential?

Yes, saw it.

imtommygunn

With guys like that it's not about one on one. I don't think he'd have done much more damage that day had he been fit.

You mark the space on front of these boys and then when they get it you swarm them. If they make space of one boy you get another boy in the space he goes into so he can't geta  shot off.

Easier said than done I know but if you have the right players it's a system that can work. Tyrone have those players.

The key is you never let forwards like that get isolated.

JMohan

I'm talking about Eoin - you're on about Paddy?

imtommygunn

I am actually. Sorry should read better...

To be honest my thinking still applies... The right system will play him out of it.

McMenamim's man marking ability is nowhere near what it used to be. He's a much better HB now. In 2003 ok but now he's better in the half back line.

Darren O'Sullivan is much quicker.

JMohan

orangeman

One scored 2-8 and the other set up most of them. That's what I call double trouble.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Following their 3 point win over Clare last Saturday, Donegal Senior footballers have been drawn at home again for their 3rd Round Qualifying game against Derry next Saturday in McCumhaill Park.

We would encourage as many people as possible to come and give their support to the team in this vital game. Please note the throw in time is 7.00 pm. No Tickets are required for this game. Entry will be gained by paying at the turnstiles.
Entry to the Stand from the main street is via the Archway beside the Villa Rose Hotel and from laneway beside Jacksons Hotel on the Glenties Road.

Admission Fees

Stand Adult 25 O.A.P. 15

Terrace Adult 15 O.A.P / Students 10
Students must produce valid I.D.
Children U.16 Free
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Happy enough for people on here to write Donegal off.
As Mike S says we have nothing to lose, and you'd be an idiot to say that there isn't alot of talent in the Donegal team.
Certainly have played poorly so far, but one good performance and an off form (or well marked) PB and you never know - remember that no one gave Antrim a chance in the first game.
Tbc....

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 15, 2009, 12:54:06 PM
As Mike S says we have nothing to lose, and you'd be an idiot to say that there isn't alot of talent in the Donegal team.
Certainly have played poorly so far, but one good performance and an off form (or well marked) PB and you never know - remember that no one gave Antrim a chance in the first game.
I'd never write Donegal off, on their day they can beat tyrone and kerry and on other days they could even lose to kilkenny or carlow - they are just that mad.
They will undoubtedly raise their game to play Derry - who are not the most consistent team themselves at the moment either !

tyrone86

This one definitely not on TV?

Main Street

Yes and no.
Yes,  it is definitely not on live tv
No, it is not going to be televised live.

J70

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 15, 2009, 12:54:06 PM

There definitely isn't much optimism about at home. Anyone I spoke to reckoned they'd be surprised if we finish within five or six points of Derry, and I'd feel the same way myself, even more so now that Toye, one of the few bright spots of the past few games, is gone for the season (and BTW there was hardly a word about his bad injury in the media). The only hope is that they sort their issues (whatever they are that is causing the poor morale) out this week and go out and show a bit of guts and leadership and belief in each other. Not holding my breath though!

Oakleafer1993

J70 what is the issue with Donegal - is it John joe? has he not got the support of the players?

J70

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on July 15, 2009, 10:17:57 PM
J70 what is the issue with Donegal - is it John joe? has he not got the support of the players?

Not sure. Tom Comack wrote a piece in the Democrat this week speculating about what might be going on. He thought it might be lingering discontent with the way McIvor was shafted, as well as the banishment of Neil Gallagher, to name two possible issues that might be affecting some players. Also, simple loss of confidence and leadership in the aftermath of relegation and the defeat to Antrim. He also said however that the players had been relatively spoiled over the past seven or eight years in that they had All Ireland winning managers/coaches in charge of them during that entire period, whereas now John Joe and his selectors, while all AI-winning players, are novices when it comes to national level management, so perhaps there is a lack of belief in them.

Winnie Peg