Donegal vs Derry

Started by Atticus_Finch, July 12, 2009, 07:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleafgael

It will be interesting to see what way Cassidy lines the team out next weekend. Whilst the attack has improved since the Tyrone match we wont go to far conceding as much as we did on Saturday. If we get past Donegal we will have McGuckin back but one of the factors that needs to be looked at is that Monaghan where able to deliver the ball into the full forward line completly unchallenged on far to many occasions.

RMDrive

Quote from: thebuzz on July 13, 2009, 10:51:40 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 12, 2009, 11:50:18 PM
Who to play on Paddy and Eoin? To have 1 man marking the two of them would be an improvement on Monaghan's defensive tactics. Donegal need to look at what Tyrone did in Casement. Have men who stick up their holes (literally). Their half back line have to read the game too. If they see a long ball going into them, pile in on top of the Bradleys. Look at the second goal yesterday. That, for me, showed everything that was wrong with Monaghan's defence. How can you let a danger man get free like that and take an easy catch, yards from goal? Pathetic defending. Paddy Bradley also got a point in the second half where the ball was kicked 50 yards and a Derry player caught it, in round his stomach, with 3 Monaghan players around him, just ball watching. Handed it to Bradley, straight over. I'd have taken all 3 off right away. Hadn't a clue. The first goal isn't worth comment. The third, although it looked good, Jesus Christ!! Paddy and Eoin are unreal when given space. Don't give them space and they can be shackled. Of course there will be an arguement that they make their own space. I don't really buy that. Their men have to stick to them even if it hampers their own game. You are a defender. Defend.

There's absolutely no way that they'll get that sort of space with Donegal. Derry will need to be on top form for this one. As I said somewhere else earlier, it's a long time since we won two games in a row in the championship. Donegal have improved since the Antrim game just as Derry have from the Tyrone game. I remember Spillane backing us in the past and it was always the kiss of death. Hopefully it won't be this time. Derry need to learn to handle the favourites tag.

You haven't really been following Donegal have you? Donegal have played at a similar poor level since the Antrim game. A terrible performance against Carlow was followed up by another lifeless victory against Clare. It is only because of a few soft draws that we are still hanging around at all.
Whilst I can understand that Derry people might be uncomfortable with being classed as raging hot favourites, I'm afraid you are just that. Derry will easily overcome Donegal and all I can hope for is that it spurs the GAA community at large in Donegal to raise up and demand better from our Board.

aodhruadh

Yep, Donegal are, simply put, a shambles.
I'll be amazed if we are within 6pts come the final whistle on Saturday.

The only saving grace is that we are at home, I shudder to think what the result would have been if we had been drawn away to Kerry as looked possible at one stage.

JMohan

The other question is will Cassidy have a plan B in case Donegal do like Tyrone and just drop a man back in front of Paddy?

To beat Derry based on the last day you have to ...

1. Break even at midfield - this is very possible. While Derry have good midfielders I think Donegal should be able to break even
2. Stop Mark Lynch running and feeding Eoin Bradley. Lynch was one of the key factors against Monaghan - how often did scores start with him?
3. Man-Mark Eoin Bradley like you're in love with him and force him to kick erratically - because he will do 2 things (a) Shoot (b) Look for Paddy
4. Drop an extra man back in front of Paddy Bradley

If Donegal do that at all they'll be in with a decent shout as the Derry FB line wasn't watertight the last day

sam03/05

derry will win this game by at least ten points. Donegal a joke at the minute

lynchbhoy

Quote from: sam03/05 on July 13, 2009, 04:21:48 PM
derry will win this game by at least ten points. Donegal a joke at the minute
thats a joke

Donegal have huge talent but are a disciplinary mess.
However they are spirited and will never go down without a fight, you can guarantee that.
If they hit form and Derry have a bad day then I'd not rule out a Donegal win - the form book suggests that its a Derry victory but
with these two teams I have often seen the form book ripped up, thrown out the window , go on fire and have its ashes stamped on !

oakleafgael

On all known form Derry should win this handy. That is the exact type of situation that Derry supporters are used to the team shitting in the nest. We will be favorites but it will come down to the players attitude on the day. Confidence should be high but we need to dominate midfield again which I think is possible.

McCloy might actually suit Murphy but you would hope that the full back line in general will be better protected than against Monaghan.

Mike Sheehy

This is all set up for a Donegal win. They really have nothing to lose as they are being totally written off and Derry dont play the favourites role very well.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: JMohan on July 13, 2009, 03:05:01 PM
The other question is will Cassidy have a plan B in case Donegal do like Tyrone and just drop a man back in front of Paddy?

1. Break even at midfield - this is very possible. While Derry have good midfielders I think Donegal should be able to break even
2. Stop Mark Lynch running and feeding Eoin Bradley. Lynch was one of the key factors against Monaghan - how often did scores start with him?
3. Man-Mark Eoin Bradley like you're in love with him and force him to kick erratically - because he will do 2 things (a) Shoot (b) Look for Paddy

If Donegal do that at all they'll be in with a decent shout as the Derry FB line wasn't watertight the last day

why do people keep saying this. Look at Derry's 2nd goal on sat, 5 or 6 yards out, all be it a tight angle, he squared to Kielt for a tap in, great team play. Whilst he is far from the complete player, he is getting there, and as a Derry fan, i would rather cheer for him as against him.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

ONeill

This game will be over at half-time. Derry'll cruise.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tbrick18

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 13, 2009, 11:58:12 PM

why do people keep saying this. Look at Derry's 2nd goal on sat, 5 or 6 yards out, all be it a tight angle, he squared to Kielt for a tap in, great team play. Whilst he is far from the complete player, he is getting there, and as a Derry fan, i would rather cheer for him as against him.

This type of thing annoys me too...I dont think any player deliberately tries to always find another player....I think the more likely reason for this perceived constant play between the two brothers is that when one of them is in a postiion to pass or kick the ball in the player most likely to be in a position to receive that pass or most likely to score is  usually the other brother. What is the difference between this and say Clarke and McDonnell, or Gooch and Donaghy or Canavan and Mugsy.  It just so happens our 2 best forwards are brothers.  Good luck to them and long may it last that they are in the form they were on Saturday past.

JMohan

It's not criticism at all - I was saying that if you force him under pressure that's the two options or two outcomes he'll most likely take.

But again I don't think that will happen as I don't honestly think there is a back in the country can mark him.

I actually think Eoin Bradley is a far more dangerous forward than his brother - and if you look at the number of assists he gave you'd agree.   

JMohan

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 14, 2009, 10:22:55 AM

This type of thing annoys me too...I dont think any player deliberately tries to always find another player....I think the more likely reason for this perceived constant play between the two brothers is that when one of them is in a postiion to pass or kick the ball in the player most likely to be in a position to receive that pass or most likely to score is  usually the other brother. What is the difference between this and say Clarke and McDonnell, or Gooch and Donaghy or Canavan and Mugsy.  It just so happens our 2 best forwards are brothers.  Good luck to them and long may it last that they are in the form they were on Saturday past.

On him being the complete player - I don't think he's far from being the complete forward.

Fastest player in the country arguably
Very strong - never brushed off the ball
Good a shooting from distance
Special 'eye' for a goal

Can't be marked out of a game?

imtommygunn

Did you watch the tyrone game...

orangeman

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 14, 2009, 05:21:07 PM
Did you watch the tyrone game...

To be fair PB was injured that day.