Wicklow v Down. Aughrim 3pm Saturday. Live on RTE

Started by Trevor Hill, July 12, 2009, 06:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgegael

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Trevor Hill

The GAA have confirmed the times and venues for next weekend's championship matches in both hurling and football.

On Saturday the All-Ireland Round 3 Football qualifiers take centre stage with Down's visit to face Wicklow in Aughrim opening proceedings at 3.00pm.

Mourne Rover

RTE has just said that Wicklow/Down is its live tv match for Saturday. Happy days for those of us on holiday,who can look forward to a busy afternoon in an Irish bar.

Trevor Hill

corn02

Quote from: Trevor Hill on July 13, 2009, 05:56:46 PM
RTE always get the big games.

I believe TV3 had the big pick and with no other big teams involved in any meaningful game they prbably went for the game which will be closest.

I expect the odds to be Wicklow 6/5 Down 5/6.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: corn02 on July 13, 2009, 06:02:44 PM

I believe TV3 had the big pick and with no other big teams involved in any meaningful game they prbably went for the game which will be closest.

Wrong way round. Wicklow are 5/6, Down 6/5. The outsiders won't be troubled though.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Our Nail Loney

If only there was an Armagh match to show... oh thats right.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 13, 2009, 06:30:34 PM

Indeed ONL, fortune did not favour your home county this year.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 13, 2009, 06:32:28 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 13, 2009, 06:30:34 PM

Indeed ONL, fortune did not favour your home county this year.

True, that and an inept management team, which would ultimately nullify any fortune given.

supersub

Quote from: Mourne Rover on July 13, 2009, 05:39:37 PM
RTE has just said that Wicklow/Down is its live tv match for Saturday. Happy days for those of us on holiday,who can look forward to a busy afternoon in an Irish bar.

Where you headin MR?

Caid

Wicklow should win this game.  I fancy them to reach the quarters.  First year they have had a crack at the qualifiers and they have a point to prove.  A real strong second half team (partly due to Micko's motivating team talks).  They have, in my honest opinion, the best set of forwards that a suspect Down defence has faced this year in league and championship (better than Tipp / Offaly / Louth / Roscommon / Cavan / Limerick / Longford / Fermanagh / London / Laois) and regularly score around 15-20 points in a game (not to mention an impressive goals tally).  Wicklow will be difficult to beat in Aughrim.  Their record over the last two years in League/Championship/Tommy Murphy is pretty impressive (although Micko doesn't pay any heed to the NFL in order to approach the Championship low key).  As shown by some of the posts on here, the Down "tradition" may allow a misguided confidence to seep in and result in their downfall.

Forget about Antrim - Wicklow will be the fairytale story of 2009.
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

nrico2006

I see Ross has started his jibberish talk about Fortress Aughrim - he would rather play Kerry in Newry than Wicklow in Aughrim.  Keep her lit lad.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

western exile

Quote from: Caid on July 13, 2009, 09:17:05 PM

Wicklow should win this game.  I fancy them to reach the quarters.  First year they have had a crack at the qualifiers and they have a point to prove.  A real strong second half team (partly due to Micko's motivating team talks).  They have, in my honest opinion, the best set of forwards that a suspect Down defence has faced this year in league and championship (better than Tipp / Offaly / Louth / Roscommon / Cavan / Limerick / Longford / Fermanagh / London / Laois) and regularly score around 15-20 points in a game (not to mention an impressive goals tally).  Wicklow will be difficult to beat in Aughrim.  Their record over the last two years in League/Championship/Tommy Murphy is pretty impressive (although Micko doesn't pay any heed to the NFL in order to approach the Championship low key).  As shown by some of the posts on here, the Down "tradition" may allow a misguided confidence to seep in and result in their downfall.

Forget about Antrim - Wicklow will be the fairytale story of 2009.

I see the point you are making.  But when applied to both sides it does not look  so good.   Wicklow played the league in Division 4 and only won 3 out of 8 games against ( Antrim / Sligo / Leitrim / Waterford / Clare / Carlow / London / Kilkenny ).  Hardly the best defensive teams in Ireland.  They failed to get promoted from Div 4 after playing these teams, whereas Down did gain promotion to Div 2 after playing the teams you mentioned above!   And Wicklow scored 108 points in 8 league games, that is an impressive 13.5 per game, but less than the 15-20 you claim!   And in the  Championship they scored 1-10 (aet) v. Westmeath, 1-11 v. Fermanagh, and 1-12 v. Cavan. 
Also, how many of Wicklow's opponents to date have a set forwards that are vastly superior to Down's? Not many I would suggest.

Having said all that, I think they are evenly matched teams. And a Wicklow victory is by no means a certainly as you claim.

Down to edge it.

Caid

I didnt say it was a certainty - merely stating that Wicklow should be favourites.  In one of the last league games O'Dwyer brought on a goalkeeper at FF much to the surprise/dismay of everyone. They reckon he doesn't want the league form to be too good going into the championship...

Out of 16 contests in the Championship and Tommy Murphy Cup over the last three years they have won nine, drew three (twice with Louth in 08) and lost four times (once after extra time).

They score a lot from play, they score a lot of goals and they have decent free takers to boot. Mervyn Travers is my shout for goalkeeper on this years Allstar team (you heard it here first)

In this years Championship they have 2-12 (18 points), 1-10 (13 points), 0-17 and 1-12 (15 points).

In the National League this year they scored 153 points in 8 games which I make an average of 19 points (goals / points) a game (http://www.gaa.ie/page/allianz_gaa_football_national_league_roinn_4.html)  which sits towards the upper end of my stated range
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

CĂșig huaire

I would have Wicklow as slight favourites against this ever improving Down side, though a win certainly isn't beyond us. Good to be playing football at this time of year again and with a bit of luck and a favourable draw we could be playing football in August.
Has Micko ever been part of a winning side against Down?

Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.