Wicklow v Down. Aughrim 3pm Saturday. Live on RTE

Started by Trevor Hill, July 12, 2009, 06:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hill

downgirl

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on July 18, 2009, 07:49:21 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on July 18, 2009, 07:20:29 PM

A few points...

No1. I have to give our boys credit for playing football today. They were unlucky. They really did play some fabulous football.

No 2. Why was Timmy Hanna taken off????

No 3. It nearly choked Pat the Bollix to say that both teams played football today.

No 4. WHY WAS TIMMY HANNA TAKEN OFF?????????

I really cant believe his substitution. Thats some way to give one off our most promising talents confidence. After how good he was last week. Really annoyed for the lad.

Yea where I was sitting when this was called out the few Down supporters around me were all like 'What?!!!' and he was only after scoring a point wasn't he??  IMO definitely the wrong decision.  Especially when his replacement did not seem to play that well at all....

That punch on Rafferty happened right in front of me and the linesman was right there and ref was looking over and not one of them said a word...wtf like????

Mid Down Gael

I think Damian Rafferty deserves great credit. He lost possession for the goal, got punched and no action taken but he played the shirt off his back. He remained very disaplained and put some great blocks in. Aidan Carr was poor alongside Murphy IMO. Timmy Hanna is a far better player, Carr gives possession away too cheaply. Why did Ross not start him if he couldnt wait to get him on. He made a fool off himself taking timmy off just to get Aidan on.

Mourne Rover

Unless Hanna had an injury which no one has spotted, the only logical explanation is that he did not follow specific instructions in the early stages. The problem is that most of the Down defence were struggling at the time, and Aidan Carr had a poor game when he came on. Someone will surely be able to tell us whether or not this was an enforced or a tactical switch, even though it is all a little academic now.

No1

Nothing to add on the match, it's all been said already.  Congrats to Wicklow and best of luck in the next round.

Caid, I think your gloating is poor form and out of order.  I am sure you have had as many bad days out in the championship as the rest of us.  Fair enough, you got your prediction correct and well done but fer fucks sake just leave it at that.  Yer near as bad as those Armagh hoors.   :-[

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: No1 on July 19, 2009, 12:09:34 AM
Nothing to add on the match, it's all been said already.  Congrats to Wicklow and best of luck in the next round.

Caid, I think your gloating is poor form and out of order.  I am sure you have had as many bad days out in the championship as the rest of us.  Fair enough, you got your prediction correct and well done but fer f**ks sake just leave it at that.  Yer near as bad as those Armagh hoors.   :-[

Nah, no way, He couldnt be ::)
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Delighted for Cill Mháintain, great display of grit and no little determination and skill. The Micko legend grows and grows.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Town Gael

Ross has proved to be tactically inept, I've no idea what was going on in his mind yesterday. Kevin Duffin sitting on the line cost us as we had 3 scoreable frees that would been chipped over by Duffins left foot. Why take off Hanna as well?  Aidan Carr was awful against Fermanagh and just as bad yesterday.
The ref too was a disgrace- he shouldn't even be allowed to take charge of an u-8 game

bcarrier

The timekeeping issue was a disgrace and refereeing in general had a hometown quality. Still wicklow took their chance to win while Down bottled theirs. Fitzpartick's continued absence was baffling.

norabeag

Still cannot believe that Kinneavy still gets games on the national stage. He is only concerned about being the centre of attention with his big demonstrations of eccentricity in aplying technical fouls but missing the blatantly obvious.
That said we cannot take away from Wicklow's performance.
They battled to the end and their midfield were immense, particularly for the first 3/4 of the game.
Would not be one to have a major issue with Carr but the subs were baffling yesterday and thought Hanna and McArdle were very baffling calls.
However our big players were the ones who let us down yesterday. McKernan and Murphy were dreadful.
Micko read it very early that McKernan was struggling and you could se that Wicklow were going route 1
Ambrose was as Ambrose is, he is not he finished article for county football, with so many handling errors and incomplete passes. No-one can doubt his heart and commitment but this continual deifying of him is odd.
Dan was there in fits and starts and Benny though starved of decent ball was way off the pace.
Anyone who has watched Down over the years would note that when Hughes starts fumbling and "footering" like he did yesteray then he only ets worse as the game goes on and that was borne out yesterday.
Rafferty despite his early fluff was outstanding but there could have been a case at anytime for bringing in Turley and Duffin into a defence that was bullied all afternoon.
Was also impressed as I have been for some time with Maginn. He will be around for a long time along with McComiskey who tried all afternoon.
Can only look forward now to next year with a team that in all honesty is very young and will get better

Highlander3

Norabeag i think that you are being a bit hard on Ambrose, he is only just getting back from a  serious injury and i think that impacted on his ball play, but he still added a physicial present for use, something that we need. Kearney also gives us this but i think he should be a wing half forward for us next year with Fitzpatrick into midfield. Duffin should be given a chance next year and McKernan should be moved out the field he is just not a full back

charlie stubbs

thought the hanna change was a joke had been doing ok and scored a great point i thought,  was obvious this sub was made before the game started. 
rafferty recovered well after a terrible mistake for the goal though think garvey could have done better initially, didnt think he had best of games, murphy was also bad in defence and nothinh went for aidan carr gave the ball away a few times missed a few frees and made substuitution of hanna seem even worse.  in mf thought gordan did well though that ankle knock prob didnt help!kearneys tackle when your man was in 4 a goal was great i thought.  mcardle didnt do 2 much wrong, scored the opening point and could have did the job taking frees that carr was taking from the right.  thought rodgers did well and maginn showed some of the promise he has shown at underage and for qub.  coulter was an annonymous,hughes and mccomiskey did well inside though think mccomiskey could have caught the ball and rounded keeper in 1st half.  think ross carr a horrible manager and should go. 

Cúig huaire

At the time of the substitution I thought we need a midfielder, we weren't winning any clean ball and Kearney was anonymous. I thought Ross was going to bring on Jackie Lynch, but he took off Hanna who had just scored and brought on Aidan. On the subject of Aidan I would prefer to see him playing as a half forward. Thought Paul Murphy had a bad game yesterday, I would prefer to see him on the wing, with McKernan as a centre half back. Cannot believe that we lost that game, it was there for the taking and we had more than enough chances to win it, but we over complicated things too many times and took too much out of the ball. Also think Coulter was pulled back when Sextons shot was blocked, a stone wall penalty in my eyes.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Caid

Quote from: No1 on July 19, 2009, 12:09:34 AM

Caid, I think your gloating is poor form and out of order.  I am sure you have had as many bad days out in the championship as the rest of us.  Fair enough, you got your prediction correct and well done but fer f**ks sake just leave it at that.  Yer near as bad as those Armagh hoors.   :-[

Where in my post was I gloating? I reposted that comment as it was still applicable and Down fans will continue to think they are among the top 10 teams in the country.

Being from Fermanagh I have had lots of bad days out (I am not from Wicklow nor have I anything to do with the County) but I have struggled to fathom a lot of the comments by Down posters this year.

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written