Championship - Lie of the Land - How do you see things now?

Started by Barney, July 11, 2009, 08:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Another chunk of teams gone for the year. Things are taking shape and possible to look ahead.

Sligo, Kerry, Derry, Wicklow, Donegal, Meath, Ros/Wexford and Down/Laois all go into the hat to be drawn against each other.

Winners will play the losers of the provincial finals, and subsequent winners go on to play the provincial champions.

Munster/Ulster and Connacht/Leinster is the split this year in the draw.

So what you think? Who will take Sam?

-----------------------------------------------------

My view is that there is nothing of quality coming through the Qualifiers bar Derry if they stay focused, and possibly Kerry but I don't think they are going to get their act together this year. That being said they should stick around until Round 4 at the last unless they were to draw Derry away.

My view is that Galway, Limerick, Antrim and Kildare will be in the hat in Round 4.

Meath, Derry, Kerry, and I have a hunch that Ros will get the luck of the draw. Beat Wexford and then maybe Sligo or Wicklow at home in the next round.
'
My last 8 - Mayo, Dublin, Tyrone, Cork, Galway, Derry, Limerick and Kerry.

Dublin and Cork to be the last two standing in September.

Sam to the Capital.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Tyrone deserve to be strong favourites. Cork and Kerry are certain to challenge as well. Mayo, Galway and Dublin could get themselves going and could easily end up in a final. Derry and Kildare are probably a bit short but shouldn't be entirely discounted - a semi final is probably the height of their ambitions. Can't see any of the rest featuring in the later stages.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

down6061689194

Untill this week I had Cork and Dubs for the final, leaning towards galway now, Though monaghan stood a chance, think our lads can wing a day out at croker yet with the right draw, in fact with the right draw I'd back all 4 qualifiers to beat all 4 provincial loosers.

And starting to believe in Down Minors.

Maigheo Abu

Quote from: Barney on July 11, 2009, 08:53:50 PM
Another chunk of teams gone for the year. Things are taking shape and possible to look ahead.

Sligo, Kerry, Derry, Wicklow, Donegal, Meath, Ros/Wexford and Down/Laois all go into the hat to be drawn against each other.

Winners will play the losers of the provincial finals, and subsequent winners go on to play the provincial champions.

My view is that there is nothing of quality coming through the Qualifiers bar Derry if they stay focused, and possibly Kerry but I don't think they are going to get their act together this year. That being said they should stick around until Round 4 at the last unless they were to draw Derry away.

My view is that Galway, Limerick, Antrim and Kildare will be in the hat in Round 4.

Meath, Derry, Kerry, and I have a hunch that Ros will get the luck of the draw. Beat Wexford and then maybe Sligo or Wicklow at home in the next round.
'

Sam to the Capital.
Where the ocean kisses Ireland and the waves caress it's shores

Maigheo Abu

Where the ocean kisses Ireland and the waves caress it's shores

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Maigheo Abu on July 11, 2009, 11:15:11 PM
So who's going to knock out the Tyrone boys?

if the AI final was tomorrow, nobody. But this time last year they well down the list of peoples favourites. So who knows.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

mannix

kerry are jaded or getting there, not going to win sam in my opinion. the rest will fight it out and not one stands any bit above the rest bar tyrone who will get plenty to think about against a limerick or mayo type effort. Any one of cork,galway,mayo,dublin or limerick can think they will reach the final this year.
And anyone bar kerry in the final against them would not have them quaking in their boots, even tyrone.

carnaross

Munster/Ulster and Connacht/Leinster is the split this year in the draw - so on current form would be Cork v Tyrone and anybody you like coming through from the other half. Cork and Tyrone would have been a great final.
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

SLIGONIAN

'

Sam to the Capital.

You talk some rubbish ::).
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Irenses

I still cant see past Kerry. They remind me of Tyrone last year who were also struggling to impress in the qualifiers in July and could so easily of fallen to Westmeath or Mayo. But we all know what happened come August/September. I suspect Kerry will be the same.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2009, 08:57:43 AM

'

Sam to the Capital.

Or maybe because he said that Sligo would be beaten perhaps?? What's your contribution anyway Sligonian?? I'm not writing Kerry off just yet, but they were shocking yesterday in the second half. Kildare can beat Dublin today and I think that will happen. The loser of Mayo/Galway will be finished as they only have a week to recover, so it's win or bust I reckon. Tyrone SHOULD beat Antrim, I don't know what to make of Cork base on last week's performance either but are in the last eight. I think the last 4 will be, Mayo (provided we win against Galway), Tyrone, Kerry could sneak in as well and Dublin/Kildare.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 12, 2009, 01:02:05 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 12, 2009, 08:57:43 AM

'

Sam to the Capital.

Or maybe because he said that Sligo would be beaten perhaps?? What's your contribution anyway Sligonian?? I'm not writing Kerry off just yet, but they were shocking yesterday in the second half. Kildare can beat Dublin today and I think that will happen. The loser of Mayo/Galway will be finished as they only have a week to recover, so it's win or bust I reckon. Tyrone SHOULD beat Antrim, I don't know what to make of Cork base on last week's performance either but are in the last eight. I think the last 4 will be, Mayo (provided we win against Galway), Tyrone, Kerry could sneak in as well and Dublin/Kildare.

My Contribution to this is change the record. Whats the basis for his hunch? ::). Its pretty hilarious to be honest some of the stuff ye come out with. Im just taking it one game at time and looking at our opponents, definitly not thinking of September yet ;).
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

mc_grens

Tyrone.

As much as I hate to say it.

I dont think Cork can be counted on to beat them. They have yet to play this Tyrone team in championship football and they'll get some shock when they do. Dublin maybe, although I just think that brittleness under pressure is still there, mainly because its mostly the same personnel, and no real new leaders in the Brian Dooher mould have emerged (As I write this Ger Brennan has just been sent off and Kildare have just equalised).

I think the current Kerry team is on a little bit of a down swing, with some key players having too many miles on the clock, although I could be proven wrong. Even if I'm right there is such talent to come through that it probably wont be long til they're back!

Of the others I just don't see a credible challenger.

f**k it hurts to say that!

Trevor Hill

Tyrone have to be favourites, but don't rule out either Dublin or Kildare. Cork have to be up there as well, despite last weeks performance against Limerick. Kerry are an unknown quantity, no one will want to face them because we all know what they can do, wether or not they can raise their game to previous levels remains to be seen.

Farrandeelin

Mayo seem to be the only team that can match Tyrone. :P Kicked last year's match away and also won in 2004...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.