Monaghan v Derry

Started by Maguire01, July 05, 2009, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 05, 2009, 08:30:21 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 08:10:23 PM
Quote from: Oak Leafer on July 05, 2009, 08:07:41 PM
Fellas has Clones been confirmed?

I was of the understanding that Derry had a home draw, as they played 'away' last year?
First out get home...

It'll be Clones - shouldn't suit either team much more - well depends on the style of play Derry play.

Actually Derry's biggest worry will be Paddy Bradley

If he's not on song Derry will struggle - and the last day he was annoymous - won't happen two days in a row I'm thinking.

How could first out get home when they were in 2 different pots? Surely that would mean that either all the round 1 winners or all the losing provincial semi finalists were getting a home draw which would seem a bit unfair.

They picked one out from each pot and put them in a third pot. They then drew them out of the third pot to decide who had home advantage.

Our Nail Loney

I was of the understanding that Derry had a home draw, as they played 'away' last year?
First out get home...

It'll be Clones - shouldn't suit either team much more - well depends on the style of play Derry play.

If he's not on song Derry will struggle - and the last day he was annoymous - won't happen two days in a row I'm thinking.

First out was the winners of the qualifiers just I believe

Venues and times tbc tomorrow

JMohan

First out get home...

How could first out get home when they were in 2 different pots? Surely that would mean that either all the round 1 winners or all the losing provincial semi finalists were getting a home draw which would seem a bit unfair.
Ok - you didn't see the draw

One tube was picked from Bowl 1 unopened
One tube was picked from Bowl 2 unopened
Both were put into a third bowl and mixed around
First one out was opened and they got home advantage
Next one out was opened and they did not get home advantage

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 08:32:40 PM

First out get home...

Ah rite - sorry missed the draw. Fair enough I suppose but it seems a bit dodgy having just 2 balls mixed around. You could easily look at them and see which one's which.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Maguire01

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 05, 2009, 08:40:30 PM

First out get home...

Ah rite - sorry missed the draw. Fair enough I suppose but it seems a bit dodgy having just 2 balls mixed around. You could easily look at them and see which one's which.
They all look the same, do they not?

JMohan

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 05, 2009, 08:45:14 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 05, 2009, 08:40:30 PM

First out get home...

They all look the same, do they not?
;D
What year was the 'live' draw after the results had been annouced?

pintsofguinness

Aye I forgot about that, was it two years ago (maybe 3) there were several "live" draws when the country knew what the draw was.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

imtommygunn

JMohan I would have to disagree with you on a few things regarding Cassidy. McCloy would have been cleaned out by Kavanagh. The only game McCloy suits would be one where big high balls are rained down on a defense - like the Monaghan game. I think he's a good bit off the pace to be honest and has been a disaster waiting to happen for a while. I think Cassidy's stance there is the right one. McCloy is a poor second to McCusker and when you have Lockhart in there too I don't think he should be near the Derry team.

With regard to Raymond Wilkinson after last year's championship match(es) we had some serious personal abuse on here of him because he struggled. I don't believe he would have added anything to Derry.

By all accounts on this board Murphy is one of the best club midfielders in Derry so surely with all the injuries he deserved a chance.

Also I wouldn't agree regarding Ballinderry. McGuckin, McCusker and Muldoon should start. Not sure anyone else should. Granted Wilkinson, maybe Collie Devlin and maybe McIvor merit squad places but they have been tried before and haven't done the business.

I'm also a neutral BTW.

JMohan

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 05, 2009, 09:06:02 PM
JMohan I would have to disagree with you on a few things regarding Cassidy.
Let's not personalise it then since I'll be accused of having a vendetta next!  ;D
Let's say 'management' lol!

McCloy would have been cleaned out by Kavanagh.

Possibly, but I meant after 20 minutes when the game had settled ... but it was more the fact once you put O'Kane on him you lost him as a threat.

The only game McCloy suits would be one where big high balls are rained down on a defense - like the Monaghan game.

Absolutely correct!

I think he's a good bit off the pace to be honest and has been a disaster waiting to happen for a while. I think Cassidy's stance there is the right one. McCloy is a poor second to McCusker and when you have Lockhart in there too I don't think he should be near the Derry team.
Well fair enough - but
- He did well against Kerry
- Was MOTM against Monaghan
- McCusker hasn't played this year yet - can't be more 'on the pace' than McCloy? Or maybe he is?

I just think he was a better more physcial option

With regard to Raymond Wilkinson after last year's championship match(es) we had some serious personal abuse on here of him because he struggled. I don't believe he would have added anything to Derry.

Well going by club games he was very good.
And I'm thinking his style and energy would have suited better against Tyrone and moreso that Brown/Lynn/Mullan
No?

By all accounts on this board Murphy is one of the best club midfielders in Derry so surely with all the injuries he deserved a chance.

Ok, fair enough - but I don't see him as a real IC county midfielder
Even on the 40 he's suffered for fitness? no?

Also I wouldn't agree regarding Ballinderry. McGuckin, McCusker and Muldoon should start.

Well McGuckian yes, certainly - the others I just think might have been cuter

Not sure anyone else should. Granted Wilkinson, maybe Collie Devlin and maybe McIvor merit squad places but they have been tried before and haven't done the business.

I'm also a neutral BTW.

Well you look at the talent Derry have it's sad to see them capitulate the way they did to Tyrone

That's all - and I think management got it wrong, badly wrong.
And I think there were signs that was going to happen based on the line out.

:)

By the way - great to get someone who took the time to read the actual points and debate the merits.

imtommygunn

QuoteWell you look at the talent Derry have it's sad to see them capitulate the way they did to Tyrone

To be honest I think therein lies the problem and why Cassidy, sorry "management", can't win. I'm not sure I believe that Derry have this so called talent a lot of fans seem to talk about. These players have been about long enough. Last ulster final 2000 isn't it. Paddy Crozier wasn't their manager all that time...

I would agree the Tyrone game was a bad one management wise. I think Cassidy is a "good 'un" though and will learn a lot from it. It has to be said this is an unfortunate draw for him.

Absolutely no way should McCloy have been given MOTM against Monaghan BTW. Ronaghan gave him his fill of it first half and in the second half Monaghan kicked the ball down his throat when he was even possibly a spare man. Nothing against the man - his game against Dublin the other year was as good a full back display as you'd see. I think he's living on reputation now though. I didn't see the league final bit first game against Kerry in the league McCloy was cleaned out.

Wilkinson and Lynn are just copies of each other to be honest. Not sure of any value to one over the other.

Murphy struggles for fitness over the course of a game yes but if he's the best option they have available in midfield then surely he should be started and replaced when he's out of steam.

JMohan

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 05, 2009, 09:29:55 PM
QuoteWell you look at the talent Derry have it's sad to see them capitulate the way they did to Tyrone

These players have been about long enough. Last ulster final 2000 isn't it. Paddy Crozier wasn't their manager all that time...

I don't understand that last point you're trying to make....

We disagree on the other points - I agree with alot of what you say I just think McCloy has something to offer over the others that are there.

With the Murphy thing I still think Cassidy jumped the gun and should have had Conway on from the start ... (another can of worms to be opened!)  ;D

Fair points though - fairly made ...

imtommygunn

I see your points however I think you're a tad premature about Cassidy. He has taken on a much bigger job there than a lot of people realise. Derry to be honest are a long way off where a lot of their supporters think they are. They have some talent but are about 5 or 6 players off a Kerry, Tyrone, Cork or even Dublin. Cassidy will have to compensate with playing a good system so he has a lot of work to do. He's well capable of it though!

My point there was that the manager can't be blamed for the same group of players failing for the last 8 years. Paddy Crozier got stick for last year, Moran before him and it's happening again with Cassidy already! They may not be exactly the same group of players but they're close...

Anyway like you, I think!, I have no personal agenda here. I'd like to see them do well. I'd also love to see them win this game!

TBH you are probably right with the Murphy thing.

seamusthebard

Gilligan did not leave the Derry panel, Cassidy didn't pick him!
Who would you rather have on your team? Raymond Wilkinson or anyone of the following...... Eoin Brown, Enda Lynn, Brian Mullan, james Kielt, Gavin Mcshane, Seamus Bradley.

Maguire01

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 05, 2009, 09:50:03 PM
I wonder if the Monaghan management will use the same trick that Mickey Harte pulled in 2003 w.r.t. Joe Brolly's after-match comments?
Remind us...

imtommygunn

I'd rather have James Kielt. He kicked two points which turned the last Monaghan game so without him you'd not have won it...