Monaghan v Derry

Started by Maguire01, July 05, 2009, 06:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

Gonna be some shite talk and arguing on this thread... Especially the week AFTER the match...

JMohan

Quote from: SouthDerryGael on July 05, 2009, 07:18:36 PM
I am going to have to shout this because people don't get it... GILLIGAN LEFT THE DERRY PANEL TO TAKE A YEAR OUT VOLUNTARILY
Relax
That's the first anyone heard of that ... a bit doubtful he's on a year out! I'd say he's too old to make a come back.

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 07:16:34 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 05, 2009, 07:14:18 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 07:10:31 PM
Quote from: SouthDerryGael on July 05, 2009, 07:07:22 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 07:05:09 PM
Quote from: Overthebar! on July 05, 2009, 07:02:47 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 07:00:28 PM
Quote from: Overthebar! on July 05, 2009, 06:57:16 PM
you have to be joking mohan. give the man time, he'll be after you. rumour has it he likes posting on this board...

lets see if we can get this thread to go over a 100 pages this time!
;D ;D ;D ;D
Let him ...

I thought the lining out of the team against Tyrone was criminal.

Paul Murphy? Eoin Brown?

Not Inter-County standard at all!

aye but sir there were injuries lets see how he goes with a full panel to pick from. would say monaghan are favourites atm
ive a serious question, who would win in a fight. dick clerkin or patsy bradley?
Patsy

Injuries are a bad excuse - Where was Conleith Gilligan, Wilkinson, McCloy?

???

Wilkinson and Gilligan aren't even on the panel this year! And DC just didn't put Mc Cloy on.

Exactly
Wilkinson was MOTM for Ballinderry last year ... was perfectly suited for the Tyrone game and style of play + lots of experience
Gilligan could have been a great addition
McCloy should have been on after 20 mins (should have started anyway) and gone CB when McGoldrick went to MF

Only agree with you on Mc Cloy.

Wilkinson could have been worth a shout against Tyrone only because the half forward line on that day was in complete disarray.

I think Gilligan despite being given plenty of opportunity has never shown his worth on the intercounty stage. Dont thonk he is worth drafting in.
I think if he had even brought McCloy on to stick to Cavanagh after 20 mins when Murphy came off he could have realised O'Kane who is the best defensive attacking option

Agree completey, O'Kane did an excellent job on what he was assigned to do .... nullify Cavanagh.  The only problem with that was Derry missed his foraging runs up the field which he did so effectively time and again against Monaghan.
Mc Kaigue was left to take up this role agaisnt Tyrone and with all due respect he didnt have much impact, he just ran into trouble too often.
Only thing is .. would Mc Cloy have kept Cavanagh as quiet as O'Kane did ?? O'Kane matched him for pace and was constantly snapping at his heels throughout the game.   I'm not sure Mc  Cloy would have kept him as quiet.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Keyser soze

Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 07:03:48 PM
Quote from: Schkite on July 05, 2009, 06:55:06 PM

And what of Cassidy if Derry lose?
I think he should go ... I've seen enough to doubt he's got anything to offer Derry

Surely you're joking? Even if his first year was a disaster you'd give him more time no? Will yous be looking for Baker to replace him?!
[/quote]
I'm a neutral!
I just don't think he's got much other than passion and heart to bring to the party - you need good football intelligence to win an AI  
Don't think he has it
[/quote]

You're doing a really good job of hiding your neutrality. It's clear you have an agenda against Cassidy. The rest of that post and some of the other stuff you have been posting lately is too unbalanced, not to say ludicrous on occasion, to be anything other than the result of some personall gripe.

Oakleafer1993

Monaghan might have a player or two suspended following last night........ woods was well caught on camera ;)

Rav67

FFS the one draw both teams wanted to avoid.  I cant make this game though so probably would have been more pissed off if I was missing out on a weekend trip to Thurles! Not all that confident from a Derry perspective, Monaghan have the momentum and I can;t see Derry putting back to back wins against them in the same season.

JMohan

Quote from: Keyser soze on July 05, 2009, 07:32:34 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 07:03:48 PM
Quote from: Schkite on July 05, 2009, 06:55:06 PM

And what of Cassidy if Derry lose?
I think he should go ... I've seen enough to doubt he's got anything to offer Derry

Surely you're joking? Even if his first year was a disaster you'd give him more time no? Will yous be looking for Baker to replace him?!
I'm a neutral!
I just don't think he's got much other than passion and heart to bring to the party - you need good football intelligence to win an AI  
Don't think he has it
[/quote]

You're doing a really good job of hiding your neutrality. It's clear you have an agenda against Cassidy. The rest of that post and some of the other stuff you have been posting lately is too unbalanced, not to say ludicrous on occasion, to be anything other than the result of some personall gripe.
[/quote]
LOL!
Nothing personal at all I think it's perfectly reasonable to suggest that Murphy should never have started at midfield.  
Is it ludicrous to suggest Derry lined out wrong?
That Kevin McCloy should have started?
That Ballinderry should have had more players on?
I think there's a few more would agree ...

We'll not even go down the Conway route ...

Quote from: SouthDerryGael on July 05, 2009, 07:27:26 PM
Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 07:21:34 PM
Quote from: SouthDerryGael on July 05, 2009, 07:18:36 PM
I am going to have to shout this because people don't get it... GILLIGAN LEFT THE DERRY PANEL TO TAKE A YEAR OUT VOLUNTARILY
Relax
That's the first anyone heard of that ... a bit doubtful he's on a year out! I'd say he's too old to make a come back.

He took a Sabbatical to spend time with his family. I think he is only about 29 or so, that's not old, still another 3 or 4 years left in him yet. Also regards Wilkinson, due to the circumstances this year and our severe lack of forwards he could possibly have been drafted into panel, however there is a gulf of difference between a good club player and a good county player. Paul Bradley is excellent for Slaughtneil but makes little impact for Derry, also aside the Fermanagh game last year I have yet to see Wilkinson do well in a Derry shirt.

I thoguht he was alot older - suppose he's been around a while

You're right about the club vs county thing - Murphy is another example.

Is Conway back on the panel?

JMohan

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on July 05, 2009, 07:34:37 PM
Monaghan might have a player or two suspended following last night........ woods was well caught on camera ;)

It'll never happen

Oak Leafer

Fellas has Clones been confirmed?

I was of the understanding that Derry had a home draw, as they played 'away' last year?

JMohan

Quote from: Oak Leafer on July 05, 2009, 08:07:41 PM

I was of the understanding that Derry had a home draw, as they played 'away' last year?
First out get home...

It'll be Clones - shouldn't suit either team much more - well depends on the style of play Derry play.

Actually Derry's biggest worry will be Paddy Bradley

If he's not on song Derry will struggle - and the last day he was annoymous - won't happen two days in a row I'm thinking.

Main Street

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 05, 2009, 07:49:46 PM

If applied to this thread,
that would just leave the Monaghan posters and the odd Derry veteran.

jodyb

Bring it on!! Two hours after being pissed off when Doire came out of the hat, my mind is changing. I love championship days in Clones. We get far too few of them. Doc and Mullan back, questions over cartin, mccloy and mccusker. Will Enda be fit? Will Woods get suspended? Will Tommy appeal again? Will it be a shit fest or a whitewash? All the hype, all the questions, Spillane and O' Rourke whinging like two fcukin children. I love the championship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jus hope we're still in it this time next week :P

Maguire01

Quote from: JMohan on July 05, 2009, 08:10:23 PM

First out get home...

It'll be Clones - shouldn't suit either team much more - well depends on the style of play Derry play.
Clones may not give Monaghan a massive advantage, but Celtic Park would definitely have given Derry one.

TacadoirArdMhacha

First out get home...

Actually Derry's biggest worry will be Paddy Bradley

If he's not on song Derry will struggle - and the last day he was annoymous - won't happen two days in a row I'm thinking.

How could first out get home when they were in 2 different pots? Surely that would mean that either all the round 1 winners or all the losing provincial semi finalists were getting a home draw which would seem a bit unfair.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

JMohan

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 05, 2009, 08:28:57 PM

First out get home...

Clones may not give Monaghan a massive advantage, but Celtic Park would definitely have given Derry one.
Yes, I'd agree with that ... in fact Derry having to go to Monaghan might be even a slight advantage in a weird way