Tour de France 2009

Started by ONeill, July 02, 2009, 01:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

I used to be glued to the Tour years back in the day of Martin Earley, Stehen Roche and Sean Kelly, but haven't watched it in years.

So to you experts has young Roche the pedigree to win it someday?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

orangeman

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 22, 2009, 07:11:58 PM
I used to be glued to the Tour years back in the day of Martin Earley, Stehen Roche and Sean Kelly, but haven't watched it in years.

Hard to say. The differnce between being in the first 20 and winning is massive.

gallsman

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 22, 2009, 07:11:58 PM

In a word, I'd have to say no. Some of the top guys at the minute (Andy Schleck for example) are younger than him.

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: orangeman on July 22, 2009, 05:02:19 PM
Contador's to lose now. Wiggins got a lesson today. Armstrong in 4th postion now and looking good for a top six finish.

Lance still has a good chance to finish second and i think he will

Aerlik

Great finish today.  Nice work by Contador...he could have won that stage had he really wanted but the reaction of the two Schleck brothers was fantastic.  Maybe sportsmanship is not dead.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

magpie seanie

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on July 23, 2009, 06:37:48 AM
Contador's to lose now. Wiggins got a lesson today. Armstrong in 4th postion now and looking good for a top six finish.

Yeah, he should pull back time on the TT (is that today?). Incredible performance really.

orangeman

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 23, 2009, 10:52:27 AM
Quote from: anportmorforjfc on July 23, 2009, 06:37:48 AM

Yeah, he should pull back time on the TT (is that today?). Incredible performance really.

TT is today. Armstrong desperately wants on that podium on Sunday evening.

gallsman

Simply stunning performance from Contador today to win the time trial. His improvement in the discipline over the last few years is incredible. Without doubt the strongest overall rider in the world. He's only 26 and could very conceivably break Armstrong's record as long as he stays healthy.

orangeman

Contador was savage today. Blew them all away today. 48mins 30sec. Has developed into a serious TT rider.

Armstrong came in 50mins exactly - and is now 3rd in GC and will want to stay in a podium position. Not the rider of old but that was always too much to expect.

Contador is set to dominate for years.

stew

Quote from: orangeman on July 23, 2009, 04:42:53 PM
Contador was savage today. Blew them all away today. 48mins 30sec. Has developed into a serious TT rider.

Armstrong came in 50mins exactly - and is now 3rd in GC and will want to stay in a podium position. Not the rider of old but that was always too much to expect.

Contador is set to dominate for years.

I cant see Armstrongs feats ever being eclipsed. There are so many variables in the tour, weather, strength of teams, doping and crashes etc to contend with, Contador is a brilliant rider however to simply say he will dominate for years to come is a stretch, you never know with the tour and there is a ton of talent out there who will want what he has and do what it takes to get it.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

DaUmpire

lads,ne1 know were i could pick up a decent road racing bike for a good price?been doing a lot of looking about but most prices more than what i can afford.

imtommygunn

how long has wiggins been doing road racing?

if he were to concentrate on it would be not make a serious impact?

anportmorforjfc

Armstrong to launch new US team 

Seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong will quit Astana and form a US-based team for 2010.

The new outfit will be known as Team RadioShack and sponsored by the American electronics retail giant.

Armstrong said: "To compete for an American team with the world's top cyclists, supported by the best coaches and staff - I couldn't be happier."

The Texan returned to competition with Astana after a four-year retirement and lies third overall in this year's Tour.

In a statement, the RadioShack Corporation said: "Lance Armstrong will compete for Team RadioShack as a cyclist, runner and triathlete in events around the world, including the 2010 Tour de France."

Earlier this year, doubts over the financial situation of Astana - which is bankrolled by an arm of the Kazakh government - led to fears the team would be barred from the Tour.

Armstrong's Astana manager Johan Bruyneel, who guided him to his seven Tour wins, has made it clear he will be leaving the team after this season.

Armstrong, who successfully battled cancer in 1998 to return to cycling and win the first of seven consecutive yellow jerseys in 1999, said the fight against the disease through his Livestrong Foundation would remain a priority.

"This has been a great season so far - the response in the countries we've been to has been amazing and it's clear now that this was the right choice," he said.

"Utilising the massive media attention that the sport receives has been the perfect vehicle to help spread the Livestrong message around the world.

"We have an incredible opportunity to leverage RadioShack's connection to tens of millions of people to spread the Livestrong message."

RadioShack's chief marketing officer Lee Applbaum said: "As one of the greatest athletes of our generation, a father, a cancer survivor, and a tireless advocate in the fight against cancer, Lance understands the power of keeping people connected, and that's why we feel he's the perfect partner for our brand."

The announcement was made immediately after the 18th stage of the Tour de France, won by Armstrong's Astana team-mate and race leader Alberto Contador.

Asked whether he would be part of the project, the Spaniard, who has not always seen eye-to-eye with Armstrong, said: "I heard that Lance was launching a new structure. But I just want to concentrate on winning the Tour and we'll see afterwards."

Armstrong's new team have submitted an application to the International Cycling Union (UCI) for a ProTour licence, which is needed to race in road racing's top events.

UCI president Pat McQuaid said: "They delivered it to us on Monday, it then goes through a process of evaluation and eventually the license commission takes a decision based on a variety of criteria."

ONeill

I still think there's a twist in the tail. Saturday's race is a tough one. I can see Armstrong, knowing AC is safe, launching one last attempt. However, I hear today took a lot out of Armstrong so maybe he hasn't it in him.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stew

Quote from: ONeill on July 23, 2009, 09:28:38 PM
I still think there's a twist in the tail. Saturday's race is a tough one. I can see Armstrong, knowing AC is safe, launching one last attempt. However, I hear today took a lot out of Armstrong so maybe he hasn't it in him.

Contador will not be caught now, unless he gets injured, what Armstrong has accomplished so far this year is amazing, and he couldnt even prepare properly given the dislocated shoulder.

I hope he finishes in a podium spot, he will do well to finish in the top three and Saturday will put him to the test severely.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.