Tour de France 2009

Started by ONeill, July 02, 2009, 01:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Aerlik on July 20, 2009, 05:42:07 AM
Quote from: gallsman on July 19, 2009, 09:23:02 PM
Quote from: Aerlik on July 19, 2009, 08:41:15 AM

I well remember Phil Liggett commenting on Stephen Roche (and I paraphrase for the benefit of the "i-dotters" and "t-crossers") after his historic win in 1987:   Stephen Roche, the first English-speaking rider to win the tour. 

You sure? 'Cos LeMond won it the year before...

Whaow, you beat the usual typo-police to it, Gallsman.  I included the bit about the Giro, post your reply.

Nothing to do with being petty, just questioning whether you got your dates mixed up or something. It seems odd that a knowledgeable broadcaster such as Phil Liggett would forget about Greg LeMond a year later.

orangeman

Contadoe showed Armstrong who was boss yesterday.
Still hope that Armstrong will finish in the top 6 though. He is currently 2nd and I notice his odds of finishing in the top 6 six have really lengthened. Has he given up ?

Hound

Bradley Wiggins is an interesting story. To go from track cyclist to Tour contender is quite the leap. He can definitely time trial and it looks like he can climb. This is the first time he has taken a big tour really seriously and he may well be holding something back. I think he'll test himself more in the mountains in the stages to come.

gerry

Great ride my nick the other day to finish second, its a pity he is not given a free rain by his team so that we see more of him.  going by todays article in the indo he got a bit of hassle by the other breakaway riders.

'They called me every name under the sun'
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ONeill

That's some insight into the tour.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DuffleKing

Armstrong was very defeatest after contadore's mountains win the other day. said he gave it everything but he's just not a on a par with those guys.

Contadore is some climber. schleck will be a serious challenger after this year

orangeman

Great racing today. Amazing scenery. Some magnificent climbs.

Nicholas Roche going very well so far.

General classification will probably be the same after today.

ONeill

Another great by Roche.

4th today.

orangeman

Roche really went hard to chase down the breakaway.

Lance Armstrong seemed to get dropped off the group but somehow found his legs again to get back into the group again. He's not finished yet and has apparently said he's coming back next year again.

orangeman

Roche just misses out in frantic finish
Tuesday, 21 July 2009 16:44
Nicolas Roche just missed out on Tour de France glory for the second time in a row, finishing fourth behind Euskaltel-Euskadi's Mikel Asterloza in Monday's 16th stage.

Roche was second in Sunday's stage and with Monday a rest day found himself at the head of affairs again today.

After a tough day in the mountains, he was one of eight riders who took part in a 10km frantic downhill sprint for the line after clearing a massive climb, the Col-du-Petit St Bernard, the final part of a 159km trek from Martigny to Bourg St Maurice.

The Irishman was part of the second group of four, and they eventually overhauled three of those.

But Euskaltel-Euskadi rider Asterloza had flown by the time they arrived and Roche finished eight seconds behind. He put in a burst with just over 2km to go and staying clear to the line to win by six seconds.

Pierrick Fedrigo finished in third.

Alberto Contador retained the yellow jersey, controlling the main chasing group from the front with his Astana team although his general classement second placed team-mate Lance Armstrong had to work hard to stay with him.

Armstrong briefly became slightly detached from Contador but got back to the yellow jersey before the end of the final climb and is 1'37 behind the leader with another big mountain stage to come on Tuesday.

Bradley Wiggins also finished in Contador's group and is 1'46 back

gallsman

The two Schlecks and Contador finally cracked Wiggins today. Will be very close in the time trial if he can get himself back onto the podium. Thor Hushovd made a very brave move earlier in the day to win the two intermediate sprints and all but secure the green jersey.

Overall standings:

1. Contador
2. A Schleck
3. F Schleck
4. Armstrong
5. Kloden
6. Wiggins

orangeman

Contador's to lose now. Wiggins got a lesson today. Armstrong in 4th postion now and looking good for a top six finish.

ONeill

Roche 24th overall now (out of 158). Another couple of decent stages and he could break the top 20.

ONeill

Stage 20 -  Montélimar  to Mont Ventoux on Saturday is going to be a clinker.

orangeman

Quote from: ONeill on July 22, 2009, 05:19:59 PM
Roche 24th overall now (out of 158). Another couple of decent stages and he could break the top 20.

Went very well yesterday and is showing a lot of grit. Doing very well.