Arrest threat for carring a hurl....

Started by The Watcher Pat, June 27, 2009, 11:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Not the police and their attitudes to the gaa, no.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 27, 2009, 07:32:17 PM
Surely the 50-50 rule will eventually see a change?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gnevin on June 27, 2009, 07:39:43 PM
I doubt it.  Catholics in the police now but still no changes.

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 27, 2009, 07:51:18 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on June 27, 2009, 07:39:43 PM
I doubt it.  Catholics in the police now but still no changes.
Yeah but very few higher up. Anyway as normal I'll assume you know best.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

gawa316

Heard a story (may be a urban myth) from one of my mates who use to work in a New York bar.

An irish fella was heading home from hurling practice in new york when a black man jumped out and attempted to mug him. The irish fella was about to hand over his wallet, when he thought to himself, 'hold on a minute I have a hurly bat here, i may as well make use of it.' So he proceeds to 'defend' himself, when the cops show up.

Both people are arrested/detained and they give statements. Eventually both are released after the cops can't press charges.

The black man is released, followed by the irish lad. However one of the cops who took the statements was from irish decent so decided to share the black mans statement with the irish fella.

Part of it read, 'Hey man, I was just minding my own business, when all of a sudden this crazy irish dude started beating me with a mother-fuckin giant wooden spoon!' :D :D

Well i thought it was funny...

Rossfan

Quote from: gawa316 on June 27, 2009, 08:23:55 PM. The irish fella..... thought to himself, 'hold on a minute I have a hurly bat here,

A strange type of Irishman calling it that  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

fred the red

Quote from: Rossfan on June 27, 2009, 10:50:50 PM
Quote from: gawa316 on June 27, 2009, 08:23:55 PM. The irish fella..... thought to himself, 'hold on a minute I have a hurly bat here,

and hurling practise :D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rossfan on June 27, 2009, 10:50:50 PM

Would be fairly common parlance in Belfast. So there.

Maguire01

All this talk that "nothing has changed" is bull. Back in the bad old days the police wouldn't have been held to account for something like this - now they are. And the fact that this is publicised/reported on surely means it's exceptional, rather than commonplace.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 28, 2009, 12:51:27 AM
All this talk that "nothing has changed" is bull. Back in the bad old days the police wouldn't have been held to account for something like this - now they are. And the fact that this is publicised/reported on surely means it's exceptional, rather than commonplace.

You've a nerve.  I called for the RUC/PSNI lovers to come on to the Kevin McDaid thread, twice, and I had you in mind when I was doing it, but you never appeared. 

Maguire01

Quote from: pintsofguinness on June 28, 2009, 12:58:02 AM

You've a nerve.  I called for the RUC/PSNI lovers to come on to the Kevin McDaid thread, twice, and I had you in mind when I was doing it, but you never appeared. 
I missed that - maybe you should have PM'd me.

I'd have absolutely no problem in criticising the police where they're in the wrong and any of those involved in such incidents (or indeed not becoming involved when they should) should be shown the door, at the very least. The same with this incident - if the Ombudsman finds that the cop was out of order, i'd be more than happy to see him face the appropriate sanctions.

And i've got a nerve? What are you talking about? Am i lying in saying that the police are now held to account - with the Ombudsman and the policing board - whereas in the past they could pretty much have got away with such incidents?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 28, 2009, 01:12:54 AM

I'd have absolutely no problem in criticising the police where they're in the wrong and any of those involved in such incidents (or indeed not becoming involved when they should) should be shown the door, at the very least. The same with this incident - if the Ombudsman finds that the cop was out of order, i'd be more than happy to see him face the appropriate sanctions.

And i've got a nerve? What are you talking about? Am i lying in saying that the police are now held to account - with the Ombudsman and the policing board - whereas in the past they could pretty much have got away with such incidents?
You missed the thread on Kevin McDaid, it was 15-20 pages long and you are normally posting on those threads. The police showed themselves up in that case to be the same as they always were, just like in this case so I'm not sure why or how you can see things have changed. Because there's an ombudsman? that doesnt mean the police has changed. 

Tonto

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on June 27, 2009, 01:36:49 PM
There is stil a lot off scum bags...policing the northern section of our country
I hear ya brother.  Typical Derry Wans - would never happen in Armagh ;)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 28, 2009, 01:12:54 AM

its still the same old attitude and top brass in the psni as the ruc, just less chance to do it nowadays

while I would like it to change, the reports coming in from round the north of Ireland would suggest that there is a long way to go yet.

sinn fein are complicit in allowing this to happen, by not continuing to demand the re-organisation of the ruc and not being content with a name change.
What you keep peddling is nice in notion, but idiotic in reality.
sorry maguire.

Rav67

Quote from: gawa316 on June 27, 2009, 08:23:55 PM
Heard a story (may be a urban myth) from one of my mates who use to work in a New York bar.

An irish fella was heading home from hurling practice in new york when a black man jumped out and attempted to mug him. The irish fella was about to hand over his wallet, when he thought to himself, 'hold on a minute I have a hurly bat here, i may as well make use of it.' So he proceeds to 'defend' himself, when the cops show up.

Both people are arrested/detained and they give statements. Eventually both are released after the cops can't press charges.

The black man is released, followed by the irish lad. However one of the cops who took the statements was from irish decent so decided to share the black mans statement with the irish fella.

Part of it read, 'Hey man, I was just minding my own business, when all of a sudden this crazy irish dude started beating me with a mother-fuckin giant wooden spoon!' :D :D

Well i thought it was funny...

Definitely a racist urban myth as I've heard it a few times!