Arrest threat for carring a hurl....

Started by The Watcher Pat, June 27, 2009, 11:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Watcher Pat

http://www.irishnews.com/searchlog.asp?reason=denied_empty&script_name=/pageacc.asp&path_info=/pageacc.asp&tser1=ser&sid=621183

THE Police Ombudsman has been asked to investigate the PSNI's attitude to Gaelic games after it was claimed an officer told a Derry teenager a hurl was an offensive weapon.

What's going on now with our great new police service? Complete joke!!
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Maguire01

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on June 27, 2009, 11:52:37 AM
http://www.irishnews.com/searchlog.asp?reason=denied_empty&script_name=/pageacc.asp&path_info=/pageacc.asp&tser1=ser&sid=621183

THE Police Ombudsman has been asked to investigate the PSNI's attitude to Gaelic games after it was claimed an officer told a Derry teenager a hurl was an offensive weapon.

What's going on now with our great new police service? Complete joke!!
Will be interesting to see what comes out of this. May well be PSNI attitudes. Or it may be that the hurl wasn't being used for our traditional sporting games...

Tony Baloney

What's someone in Derry doing with a hurl? Something stinks about this.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 27, 2009, 12:00:13 PM
What's someone in Derry doing with a hurl? Something stinks about this.

That was my first thought...But according to the article he was practicing a cut....There were no nails in it!!

longrunsthefox

I remember there was a case in London of Irish boy going to training and finishing in ciourt for possesion of offensive weapon.. a hurl. He gave a demonstartion in court of how to use it etc to bemused magistrate. He was aquited. Derry man will have difficuty doing that.

pintsofguinness

I know a lad at Uni in Coleraine who was stopped walking home from practice carrying a hurl and read the riot act, told what would happen if he was seen with it again and all this shite. 

His parents made a complaint to the ombudsman and I can't remember the outcome now but I'm sure he got an apology, they definitley came down on his side anyway. 

That was 3 or 4 years ago. 

Nothing has changed, or ever will.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

milltown row

during the late 70's and right through the eighties i was never told off for carrying a hurl to the club. living on the Falls road we were always stopped and had to show what was in our kit bag but nothing ever said about the hurl.

Overthebar!

chap looks innocent enough!typical- would need to get an apology...

Maguire01

Quote from: Overthebar! on June 27, 2009, 12:43:24 PM
On the basis that he doesn't look like a spide?

longrunsthefox

What about someone carrying a snooker cue? Seems to be an agenda here alright

Overthebar!

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 27, 2009, 12:53:20 PM
Quote from: Overthebar! on June 27, 2009, 12:43:24 PM
On the basis that he doesn't look like a spide?

pretty much aye. and the fact he was playing outside his house....thak ok maguire?

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: longrunsthefox on June 27, 2009, 01:05:50 PM

Or a set of golf clubs? 14 offensive weapons..

A offensive weapon is only a offensive weapon if you use it "offensively" so basically anything could be a offensive weapon...

Overthebar!

a baseball bat is hardly offensive? sure its a popular sport over here always see boys carrying them and wearing ny yankees hats round belfast....

Square Ball

maybe with all the guns being decomissioned there has been a reclassification of offensive weapons.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on June 27, 2009, 01:11:20 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on June 27, 2009, 01:05:50 PM

Or a set of golf clubs? 14 offensive weapons..

A offensive weapon is only a offensive weapon if you use it "offensively" so basically anything could be a offensive weapon...

Like your hands, head, feet etc?