Leinster hurling final - DUBLIN V Kilkenny

Started by orangeman, June 21, 2009, 05:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Delighted with the lads today. Got pissed on on the Hill and had to listen to some insufferable louts from Kilkenny but it was a good day. Hardly got a wink of sleep last night fearing an annilaition but thankfully that never materialised. Think we're beyond that stage now but we still have some way to go before we are winning championships.
We were never going to win the game with the tactics used but going 15 on 15 conventionally is not an option with kilkenny. We're not good enough to beat them yet and I think Daly played a blinder tactically. We gave a very creditable performance, our young lads got great experience, and we proved to the hurling snobs out there - we're no longer a bunch of whipping boys.
Had we got a hiding today, we'd be dreading the quarter final.
Thought 30,000 was a great game for a horrible wet day and a near expected win for Kilkenny.

Reillers

Quote from: heffo on July 05, 2009, 10:45:42 PM
Quote from: Reillers on July 05, 2009, 10:36:20 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 05, 2009, 09:39:24 PM
Quote from: Reillers on July 05, 2009, 09:33:55 PM
Kilkenny though were a bit of the pace. They looked drained and a bit tired to be honest. Not like Kilkenny at all.

Thanks for that Reillers - uncharacteristically qualify the faintest of praise..

What are you moaning about this time?  ::)
What is wrong with what I just said. Absolutely nothing, but you, yet again, are looking to stirr more shite. Not like I should be surprised. Moaning instead of talking about the game..shock horror.

I'm 'moaning' about your continued GPA-Foot-in-mouth syndrome - go and shi&e with your KK are off the pace - the 27 point humilation your bunch of strikers took must still hurt.

If you want to go WUM go off to AFR.

I didn't say a word about the GPA, yet you moaning again, looking for a fight, grow up will ya ffs.
Kilkenny were off the pace, clearly you didn't see, well understand the game, but Kilkenny were off pace anyone, (well apparently not) who knows anything about the game would have seen that.
Dublin were great but ffs would ya grow up or go complain and WUM somewhere else. AFR are full of them, you'd fit in well. Anyone with a pair of eyes could have seen that KK were off pace against Dublin.  But you, yet again, looking for a fight instead of wanting to talk about hurling. Not surprised at this stage.

INDIANA

Maybe they were off the pace because they weren't let play Reillers. Maybe that never occurred to you.  Or maybe Kilkenny are sliding a tad. I think they will win the all-ireland this year- but I actually can see a few cracks in their team for the coming years.

orangeman

Quote from: INDIANA on July 05, 2009, 11:36:23 PM
Maybe they were off the pace because they weren't let play Reillers. Maybe that never occurred to you.  Or maybe Kilkenny are sliding a tad. I think they will win the all-ireland this year- but I actually can see a few cracks in their team for the coming years.

The cracks are definitely starting to appear.

Cody was doing his damndest today to beat Dublin by as many as he could and kill the game as a contest but Dublin refused to lie down.

The writing is starting to appear on the wall for this great KK team. Wterfotd in the league, Tipp in league final and Galway a few weeks back and now Dublin.

Ok only Waterford of those 4 games beat them, but it's nearing the end for them.

Cork to re-emerge !  ;)

Reillers

I never said any of that wasn't an option, but Kilkenny were off pace, for whatever reason. Same way Dublin were excellent like I said, theit determination, their heart, their attitude, the way they were willing to die on the ball and not sit back in awe, and something that's different from other years, they weren't afraid of Kilkenny, they didn't go in with a, lets keep the score down, attitude, they didn't fear Kilkenny so they shouldn't fear anyone else. And there was an impressive Dublin crowd at the game roaring them on which was great.
And a lot of people, myself included (and that's a lot coming from Cork) hope Dublin do well this year..just not against Cork.
It'd be good for them and the game in general, clearly they'll be around in the future and I wouldn't fancy, if we get there, coming up against Dublin at all in the quarters. I can see them taking a few scalps yet. Just hopefully not Cork's. ;)

And I do think Kilkenny are slidding a bit, well in that match anyway, or just haven't aimed to peak for that match, whichever, but they made some sloppy, uncharacteristic mistakes. But it's the start of July, and no doubt Cody will have them running well come the serious days out. And also, it doesn't matter how many "cracks" appear in certain areas of the field, or how many players have off days, Kilkenny have such a strong squad that someone will always pull it out of the bag for them, they might have been a bit off it today, but as long as they can score goals they'll win matches.

awfulynice

Quote from: orangeman on July 05, 2009, 11:56:28 PM

The cracks are definitely starting to appear.  Ammm no anyday you can win a leinster final with your best player (henry shefflin) not scoring from play is a good day

Cody was doing his damndest today to beat Dublin by as many as he could and kill the game as a contest but Dublin refused to lie down. True dublin showed great fighting spirit, not sure if we can be certain Cody was looking to beat dublin by as much as possible, might be looking to lose the certain favourites tag

The writing is starting to appear on the wall for this great KK team. Wterfotd in the league, Tipp in league final and Galway a few weeks back and now Dublin. What a really ridiculous comment,they lost one game in the league, and missing some vital players managed to overcome the other contenders by 5 - 6 points, Rather I would say the writing is on the wall for the rest of the teams

Ok only Waterford of those 4 games beat them, but it's nearing the end for them. As above, no basis in this argument, and believe me id love to believe it aswell, but this KK team definately has another 2-3 years at the top

Cork to re-emerge !  ;)

Were you at the match last night?? Cork certainly wont be re-emerging this year unless they make a massive improvement, and i certainly cant see them being within an asses roar of kilkenny this year

Declan

Hats off to the lads yesterday - great effort and the fact that they kept hurling until the 72nd minute is great. The goals killed us and Comerford's finishing was top drawer. I got the "ah sure Kilkenny weren't really trying stuff" last night as well. Utter nonsense in my opinion. The Dubs gave it their all and just came up short. A pity that Dotsie had such an off day but the 5 man forward line had a lot to do with the lack of scores. Great to hear the support as well especially at the end of the match.
Quotehad to listen to some insufferable louts from Kilkenny
- There was a couple of right yokes beside me in the Cusack as well. Jaysus talk about ungracious winners but anyway didn't let them spoil my enjoyment of the match- Hope we can kick on from here and good to see Anto's obvious disappointment in the interview after the game

Bud Wiser

QuoteKilkenny though were a bit of the pace. They looked drained and a bit tired to be honest. Not like Kilkenny at all.

Well I hope to sweet jesus they don't peak when they meet Cork again.

Yesterday was a great day for Leinster Hurling, a fact that was clearly acknowledged by all of the Kilkenny players when the final whistle was blown and almost every one of them to a man went to their opponents and took the time to appreciate the effort the Dubs have put in.  Dublin have now raised the bar for Laois, Offaly and Wexford and this is a young team, one only 18yrs, who are still in the championship in July and who would have thought that two years ago.

Had a smile at Cody's reply to the journalist in the Tribune or Indo yesterday when asked "Did he think that Tommy Walsh was hurling too close to the edge" with regard to him being close to getting a second yellow against Galway.     Cody's reply was, "No, but I'd be fairly worried if he was not hurling close to the edge". !
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

awfulynice

Quote from: Declan on July 06, 2009, 07:31:24 AM
Hats off to the lads yesterday - great effort and the fact that they kept hurling until the 72nd minute is great. The goals killed us and Comerford's finishing was top drawer. I got the "ah sure Kilkenny weren't really trying stuff" last night as well. Utter nonsense in my opinion. The Dubs gave it their all and just came up short. A pity that Dotsie had such an off day but the 5 man forward line had a lot to do with the lack of scores. Great to hear the support as well especially at the end of the match.
Quotehad to listen to some insufferable louts from Kilkenny
- There was a couple of right yokes beside me in the Cusack as well. Jaysus talk about ungracious winners but anyway didn't let them spoil my enjoyment of the match- Hope we can kick on from here and good to see Anto's obvious disappointment in the interview after the game

Yeah it was a good effort from dublin, their workrate was immense, probably the one real thing that kept them in the game at stages yesterday. On Dotsie, he was very dissapointing at times aswell yesterday, especially when he drifted out to the midfield area, there was 2 - 3 occasions inside 5 minutes where he took on the KK defence when there was no need, a simple pass was 5 yards away and a chance of a point, but he went alone, gets dispossed and i think 2 of the 3 occasions resulted in scores. A brilliant player yes but he seems to have a tendancy to want to do everything himself, he needs to learn to be a little less selfish imo. It will be very interesting to see who Dublin get in the quarter final and how they would fare against the likes of Tipp. I could see them giving them a right game, Tipp are probably more gifted but Dublin will be able to stay with Tipp when they try one of their flying starts, and probably more than stay with them tempo wise for the rest of the game should give them a chance.

On the couple of louts, All you can do is ignore them, then hope you meet them to prove them wrong in september!!

heffo

Quote from: Reillers on July 05, 2009, 11:22:50 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 05, 2009, 10:45:42 PM
Quote from: Reillers on July 05, 2009, 10:36:20 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 05, 2009, 09:39:24 PM
Quote from: Reillers on July 05, 2009, 09:33:55 PM
Kilkenny though were a bit of the pace. They looked drained and a bit tired to be honest. Not like Kilkenny at all.

Thanks for that Reillers - uncharacteristically qualify the faintest of praise..

What are you moaning about this time?  ::)
What is wrong with what I just said. Absolutely nothing, but you, yet again, are looking to stirr more shite. Not like I should be surprised. Moaning instead of talking about the game..shock horror.

I'm 'moaning' about your continued GPA-Foot-in-mouth syndrome - go and shi&e with your KK are off the pace - the 27 point humilation your bunch of strikers took must still hurt.

If you want to go WUM go off to AFR.

I didn't say a word about the GPA, yet you moaning again, looking for a fight, grow up will ya ffs.
Kilkenny were off the pace, clearly you didn't see, well understand the game, but Kilkenny were off pace anyone, (well apparently not) who knows anything about the game would have seen that.
Dublin were great but ffs would ya grow up or go complain and WUM somewhere else. AFR are full of them, you'd fit in well. Anyone with a pair of eyes could have seen that KK were off pace against Dublin.  But you, yet again, looking for a fight instead of wanting to talk about hurling. Not surprised at this stage.

You continue to post off a badly-rehearsed script.

I'm not 'looking for a fight' - you posted that Dublin's performance was due to KK being 'tired' and KK not playing well - your standard refrain for anyone who disagrees with you is 'You know nothing about Hurling' - it's funny how no one else be it analyst or journalist has commented on this KK tiredness at the start of July - so I'll re-iterate my point that it was an ungracious comment from you - same as your comment about Offaly on Friday..

All I want to do is talk hurling - if you continue to talk shi*e though, I'm going to call you on it

Bud Wiser

QuoteOn the couple of louts, All you can do is ignore them, then hope you meet them to prove them wrong in september!!

Without using the old cliche, every county has them and Kilkenny have very few of them.  However, they have a small problem with the few they have and in recent years this crowd, about twenty five or thirty of them congregate up at the back wall of the Cusack side of Hill 16 and they were trying to cause trouble against Waterford and Cork last year.  On the last occasion the stewards dealt with them but as we all know, they do not represent Kilkenny supporters.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

EddieMerx

It was great to see the Dubs play with heart and passion, the result was never in doubt but unlike most counties the heads never went down and they stuck to the task of playing for 70 mins. Leinster hurling is alive and kicking

AZOffaly

Well done Dublin, and congratulations to the Cats again. In 20 years time we'll only be able to look back and shake our heads at what this team is doing at the moment. I know this may be lazy analysis but did anyone else see a touch of the Clares in Dublin? Every ball on the ground became a scrum, which obviously helped slow the Kilkenny forwards down. Conditions may have been a factor, but I thought Dublin had a real intention of committing men to the 'ruck', to borrow a rugbyism.

Kilkenny usually come away with those balls before it has a chance to develop, but yesterday they were getting tied up in the close quarters stuff. Again with Kilkenny, the goals at vital times were the real difference. Comerford's second was a real game winner at a time when they looked like they were at least a bit rattled.

I hope Dublin kick on from this now. I don't think there's any reason why they can't go to a semi final at least.

AZOffaly

I don't think Kilkenny will win the All Ireland this year. I have no real rationale behind that statement, but I just get the feeling that perhaps they are a little bit off the boil. Maybe they will find another gear in August and September, but I think they are primed for the right team to take them. It could be Tipp, if Tipp learn the ruthlessness that you need to put teams away when you are on top, or it could well be Cork. Galway and Waterford will also suddenly be sniffing the air.

INDIANA

Not so sure- I think Cody will make several changes for the SEMI FINAL. I think hIckey will be back at full back which will release JJ to wing back. Cha will come in as well. I think TJ may come in come front and Richie Hogan may also get a shot at it. he has the capacity to make changes. A lot of teams don't. Being on the road for quite a stretch does catcup eventually.
But I don't see any team out there this year good enough to beat them.