Leinster hurling final - DUBLIN V Kilkenny

Started by orangeman, June 21, 2009, 05:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieMerx

Ticket sales are reported to be very poor, only 7,500 sold to Dublin fans and I'd imagine KK will be lucky to bring 7,000 fans.

Hound

An awful pity the GAA haven't the cop to look at supply and demand and then substantially reduce ticket prices. Would increase both attendance and gate receipts. Also doesnt help that the footballers are playing both the week before and the week after (from both a financial and a getting a pass from herself point of view).

EddieMerx

They know the attendance is going to be poor, why don't the GAA try to make it a family day and offer a special deal while also slashing prices to get bums on seats

INDIANA

be lucky to get 25,000. 35 euro for adults is absolutely ridiculous.  They aren't going to make money on the game so why not run it to boost attendances..If the Gaa were left to market Coca Cola it would be bankrupt within 12 mths.

Tankie

Quote from: EddieMerx on July 01, 2009, 11:21:00 AM
Ticket sales are reported to be very poor, only 7,500 sold to Dublin fans and I'd imagine KK will be lucky to bring 7,000 fans.

awfulynice will be delighted with this news as he only wanted 'real' hurling fans at the game. 20k max at the game i would expect.

Dont think people are interested in watching Dublin taking a pasting in a game that they may not have much interest in as football is the main show in most Dublin clubs
Grand Slam Saturday!

awfulynice

Quote from: Tankie on July 01, 2009, 02:26:28 PM

awfulynice will be delighted with this news as he only wanted 'real' hurling fans at the game. 20k max at the game i would expect.

Dont think people are interested in watching Dublin taking a pasting in a game that they may not have much interest in as football is the main show in most Dublin clubs

I wont take the bait tankie....or no actually I will

No Im not delighted, and of course if you actualy read my points im sure you would be on the same side as me, who wants to sit next to pissheads when youve paid 20 -40 euro to try and watch a game??

As ive said in previous posts, the entry fee's are ridiculous, expecting a family to fork out €100 - €150 for tickets to watch a game is a real shocker. Hopefully the GAA will realise this and slash it to €20 or under for adults for future games im sure there would be much higher attendances.

Tankie

Quote from: awfulynice on July 01, 2009, 03:02:17 PM

No Im not delighted, and of course if you actualy read my points im sure you would be on the same side as me, who wants to sit next to pissheads when youve paid 20 -40 euro to try and watch a game??

As ive said in previous posts, the entry fee's are ridiculous, expecting a family to fork out €100 - €150 for tickets to watch a game is a real shocker. Hopefully the GAA will realise this and slash it to €20 or under for adults for future games im sure there would be much higher attendances.

Nothing to do with bait, just saying that you were hoping the hill would not be blue and you have got your wish..

QuoteI pray the hill isnt full of blue on the day as it will mean a pile of plastic dubs have shown up like they do for the football, they arent true supporters and will more than likely be too locked to even know the score by the end of the game

so if you dont want so-called 'plastic' fans i would say 14k is a good attendance...
Grand Slam Saturday!

INDIANA

A lot of the Dublin football fans have no interest in football either Tankie- its just that its easier for them to understand.
Football is losing ground in a lot of clubs. I've seen the participation numbers especially at juvenile. This is going to take some time before support will build up. Before Offaly made the breakthrough in the leinster final of 1980? - there was 9,000 at that game - 90% of them from kilkenny. I don't expect the dublin hurlers to have big numbers before they win anything. Thats the reality.
But at 35 euro- they've priced those with a passing interest out of the frame on sunday.

awfulynice

Quote from: Tankie on July 01, 2009, 03:23:13 PM
Quote from: awfulynice on July 01, 2009, 03:02:17 PM

Nothing to do with bait, just saying that you were hoping the hill would not be blue and you have got your wish..

QuoteI pray the hill isnt full of blue on the day as it will mean a pile of plastic dubs have shown up like they do for the football, they arent true supporters and will more than likely be too locked to even know the score by the end of the game

so if you dont want so-called 'plastic' fans i would say 14k is a good attendance...

Not talking with you anymore as you refuse to take my points and just use small quotes to try and exaggerate and twist my points, if youre going to counter my posts at least show the full post so that it can be shown in context.

On your post, it is clear we are talking about two different fans, you seem to think im talking about any fan that has a passing interest in the game being unwelcome as they are not "real" hurling fans, this is untrue. I was stating that I hoped that the stadium would not fill up with a pile of pissheads who couldnt tell a sliothar from a cricket ball.

On your second point saying that if i only wanted "real" hurling fans there that 14k is a good attendance. Now even as you wrote that you must have been having a little chuckle to yourself. There are 90 clubs in dublin with give or take 1000 people involved in each at a gestimate, making it 90k in dublin alone, and possibly another 60 - 70k in KK, so there are plenty of hurling fans that could fill the stadium, the problem is that the GAA seems to want to screw anyone that wants to go see a hurling/football match, especially in croker!!

If they were proactive, give say 1000 free tickets to each leinster county to get at least some footfall going, this could easily be distributed between clubs, also if they slashed the adult rate to maybe €20 per adult i would envisage you would at least double the attendance. All this would probably result in an attendance of 40 - 50,000 people.

Its too much to ask someone to fork out approx €100 on 70 minutes of hurling, then also have the hassle of traveling to and from dublin.

Tankie

QuoteOn your second point saying that if i only wanted "real" hurling fans there that 14k is a good attendance. Now even as you wrote that you must have been having a little chuckle to yourself. There are 90 clubs in dublin with give or take 1000 people involved in each at a gestimate, making it 90k in dublin alone, and possibly another 60 - 70k in KK, so there are plenty of hurling fans that could fill the stadium, the problem is that the GAA seems to want to screw anyone that wants to go see a hurling/football match, especially in croker!!

but you seem to suggest in previous posts that most of teh people at big Dublin games are 'plastic' fan but in fact they are members of clubs who are only interested in going to big games like in every other county.

You talk about giving 1000 tickets to 'football' fans as if you are doing them a favour and showing them a foreign sport to them, these people are GAA people too and if they are interested or want to goto the game they should not be judged.

Yes there is a bandwagon of 'non GAA' people who go to inter-country games from all counties when success is there but we can hardly refuse them...I am not trying to wind you up or anything but some gaa people have little interest in hurling like 99% of Kilkenny has no interest in football but that does not mean if we want to attend a match we are piss heads or plastic fans.

Also the prices of the tickets is rediculous, the gaa are priceing the game as a final but have not realised that people are not very interested in it to pay that money....
Grand Slam Saturday!

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Tankie on July 02, 2009, 09:53:02 AM
99% of Kilkenny has no interest in football

what is the source of this assertion?

Its completely untrue. A lot of people in Kilkenny are very interested in football. Their championship is very competitive at its own level. Just because it doesn't translate to the county setup doesn't mean people aren't interested. Certain areas have a very strong football tradition with 2 clubs being football-only.

99%? Thats sounds like a very definitive statistic so if you'd care to share the source, I'll happily leave myself open to correction.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: INDIANA on July 01, 2009, 03:50:48 PM
Football is losing ground in a lot of clubs. I've seen the participation numbers especially at juvenile..

happily this is very true. Kids are far more interested in taking up hurling than football. My own club is traditionally a football club but over the past 5/6 years our underage setup in hurling has put football in the ha'penny place. I'd say thats typical of a lot of clubs, particularly the bigger ones.

INDIANA

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on July 02, 2009, 10:00:34 AM
Quote from: Tankie on July 02, 2009, 09:53:02 AM
99% of Kilkenny has no interest in football

what is the source of this assertion?

Its completely untrue. A lot of people in Kilkenny are very interested in football. Their championship is very competitive at its own level. Just because it doesn't translate to the county setup doesn't mean people aren't interested. Certain areas have a very strong football tradition with 2 clubs being football-only.

99%? Thats sounds like a very definitive statistic so if you'd care to share the source, I'll happily leave myself open to correction.

That is a myth I'm afraid. The clubs in kilkenny never train for the county football championshiip. It represents the same standard as 5 aside soccer in Dublin - I've  seen it firsthand. There are no strong football clubs anymore. As as example of the regard for football in Kilkenny- in recent years the county football final has been subservient to the county minor final- in the sense that both teams turned up to  at a pitch for a county final only to be told someone esle was playing a minor hulring match there!
To suggest football in Kilkenny is treated with any seriousness is incorrect. No other county gets away with promoting the other code at such a mickey mouse level than Kilkenny. Thats plain wrong IMO.

bottlethrower7

Quote from: INDIANA on July 02, 2009, 10:43:04 AM
That is a myth I'm afraid. The clubs in kilkenny never train for the county football championshiip. It represents the same standard as 5 aside soccer in Dublin - I've  seen it firsthand. There are no strong football clubs anymore. As as example of the regard for football in Kilkenny- in recent years the county football final has been subservient to the county minor final- in the sense that both teams turned up to  at a pitch for a county final only to be told someone esle was playing a minor hulring match there!
To suggest football in Kilkenny is treated with any seriousness is incorrect. No other county gets away with promoting the other code at such a mickey mouse level than Kilkenny. Thats plain wrong IMO.

It is treated with seriousness. Maybe not relative to other counties, but those clubs in contention are all out for the championship. And it is completed before the hurling starts in order for the hurling not to prove a distraction. A lot of games are played midweek under lights, and most of the current senior hurling panel play football with their club. Muckalee, Erins Own, Railyard, Glenmore and Dunamaggin, to name a few, treat their football seriously.

The football panel was making decent progress last year. They had a great victory over London in the league and had a couple of close run things in other games. Their sights were set on the Leinster junior championship which didn't go so well for them. This year they lost 2 of their best players to the hurling panel - Micheal Grace and David Herity.

Yes, its very much second fiddle to hurling. I wouldn't deny that for a second. But is that any different to hurling in most other counties? Is hurling in Donegal, Leitrim or Louth, better treated than football in Kilkenny? Remember also, they have  tieried championships to compete in in hurling. No such facility is available to weaker teams in football. A senior team competing in the junior championship isn't the most inspiring thing in the world for its players, so if anything, extra kudos should be afforded the Kilkenny football panel than hurling panels as mentioned.

People have this perception that the Kilkenny football panel is made up of hurlers with spare time. To an extent thats true. I doubt theres a single player on the panel who doesn't play hurling. Several players are star hurlers for their  clubs. But why is that so wrong? No other county encourages dual stars. Kilkenny is actually one county that facilitates lads playing senior hurling and football (at club level anyway). Yep, the standard is poor, but as said before, is it any poorer than hurling in most counties? The thing about football is that Kilkenny are out there on their own in how poor they are. In hurling there are several weak counties, so there isn't the same spotlight on any single county as there is on the Kilkenny footballers. And, tell me the name of any other county whose football team is populated by even a small number of lads from hurling clubs? It doesn't exist. Every other county has a definite split between hurling and football clubs. Their football team is made up of lads (with the occasional exception admittedly) from football clubs, and likewise the hurling team with lads from hurling clubs. Kilkenny is unique in that it doesn't have such a clear-cut split.

Incidently, the Kilkenny football panel has more all-Ireland medals among its ranks than most football teams. Yep, they're hurling medals, but still........

INDIANA

Read the local papers in  Kilkenny because I do regularly. And there have been several controversies regarding Kilkenny football and the laughable treatment of it by the county board. Last year there was a huge row over it.
The Leinster junior championship didn't go well because the hurling clubs wouldn't release players for training.
Hurling in those counties has more of a standing than Kilkenny football but thats not saying much- but at least its better than Kilkenny football.
Kilkenny doesn't facilitate any of thier footballers.
That doesn't bother me- what bothers me is that every other county is pressurised by HQ to promote both codes- but Kilkenny aren't because of the political power they have in the GAA. That does annoy me.