Players grants to be axed - when will the strike start?

Started by stephenite, June 17, 2009, 07:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

QuoteThe only soccer players entitled to this tax rebate are LoI ones. How are they less entitled to "recognition or financial reward" than intercounty players?

The point I made was that in light of IC players having their grant scrapped then rugby or soccer players are hardly entitled to getting money from the exchequer. You think differently?

Zulu

How anyone can argue that we should continue to give tax relief to rugby players while GAa players get cut is beyond me. Every rugby player in Ireland can earn money by playing here or abroad, if they go abroad the only teams to suffer would be the provinces, are we the tax payer meant to prop up professional rugby teams?

Tankie

Quote from: Zulu on June 17, 2009, 01:27:21 PM
How anyone can argue that we should continue to give tax relief to rugby players while GAa players get cut is beyond me. Every rugby player in Ireland can earn money by playing here or abroad, if they go abroad the only teams to suffer would be the provinces, are we the tax payer meant to prop up professional rugby teams?

I think the fact that the GAA not professional has alot to do with it, if the gaa were not making money hand over fist out of these players there would not be an issue. The main problem people have with the grants is that the gaa take in millions every year but refuse to pay these players - if the gaa made a little less it may not be an issue.

It will be more expensive to go to the All Ireland final this year than it is to go to the Heineken Cup final and all the pool stages tickets would be on par with the gaa championship ticket prices...

If the GAA paid the players then they would be entitled to the 40% tax relief but this is not a professional game and would not survive as one...
Grand Slam Saturday!

Maguire01

Quote from: Tankie on June 17, 2009, 01:47:28 PM
It will be more expensive to go to the All Ireland final this year than it is to go to the Heineken Cup final and all the pool stages tickets would be on par with the gaa championship ticket prices...
I'd imagine the sponsorship and TV rights income from the Heineken Cup would dwarf that of the GAA Championship. I may be wrong.

Zulu

And what has that got to do with arguing that rugby players should continue to get tax relief? The GAA brings as much if not more than any other sport into the Irish economy so they have as a much right to argue that they deserve something back on that basis. So if the government feel they need to cut that, what argument is left to make for rugby players getting tax relief?

bingobus

Quote from: Zulu on June 17, 2009, 01:52:27 PM
And what has that got to do with arguing that rugby players should continue to get tax relief? The GAA brings as much if not more than any other sport into the Irish economy so they have as a much right to argue that they deserve something back on that basis. So if the government feel they need to cut that, what argument is left to make for rugby players getting tax relief?

I'm not in agreement with any relief, it was a daft scheme that was always only going to end in tears.

GAA brings very little to the ecomony. Its generates spending in the country but the money spent on it is basically in the country in the first place/ The GAA may encourage spending but I don;t think it takes money into the economy.

Rav67

Quote from: bingobus on June 17, 2009, 01:55:02 PM

I'm not in agreement with any relief, it was a daft scheme that was always only going to end in tears.

GAA brings very little to the ecomony. Its generates spending in the country but the money spent on it is basically in the country in the first place/ The GAA may encourage spending but I don;t think it takes money into the economy.
And how do you think GDP and economic growth is measured?

INDIANA

Not a lot hence the reason why the 40% relief is going. If munster play leinster in a HEC semi final. How is that bringing money into the economy when the event is only attended by Irish people? Similar to Gaa matches.
Sky owns the TV Rights for the HEC so we get nothing from that either. The 40% relief scheme was only useful in my view for the Olympians who genuinely live on the breadline in pursuit of their sport. Gaa players couldn't be factored in as they don't earn from the sport.
It was  a ridiculous scheme for high earning rugby professionals. Another one of Mc Creevy's self -indulgences. Of which he had many. Hence the mess this country is in.

muppet

Suddenly it is all becoming clear.

The GPA are the fall guys for all sportsmen/women who got tax relief. Now none of them will and the spin will be it's the GPA's fault.

Unless of course all of the various sporting bodies line up together to have a go at the Government...........
MWWSI 2017

dublinfella

Quote from: Zulu on June 17, 2009, 01:21:35 PM

The point I made was that in light of IC players having their grant scrapped then rugby or soccer players are hardly entitled to getting money from the exchequer. You think differently?

To me they are two entirely seperate arguments.

1: Should the state be entitled to tweak with taxes to encourage certain industries, from IFSC status to artists? I think there is a merit in giving a capped tax releif to encourage professional athletes to base themselves here.

2: Should elite GAA players get a grant? I do not think that is an appropriate use of taxpayers money and is professionalism in everything other than name.

Gnevin

Quote from: INDIANA on June 17, 2009, 02:02:10 PM

Not a lot hence the reason why the 40% relief is going. If munster play leinster in a HEC semi final. How is that bringing money into the economy when the event is only attended by Irish people? Similar to Gaa matches.
Sky owns the TV Rights for the HEC so we get nothing from that either. The 40% relief scheme was only useful in my view for the Olympians who genuinely live on the breadline in pursuit of their sport. Gaa players couldn't be factored in as they don't earn from the sport.
It was  a ridiculous scheme for high earning rugby professionals. Another one of Mc Creevy's self -indulgences. Of which he had many. Hence the mess this country is in.

It's keeping money in the Economy and generating wealth.

I buy a 200 phone from ebay  money to the local economy 0, taxes and duties 0
I go to a match spend 200, money to the local economy , 40 taxis , Drink, food , a percentage or all of the ticket,  money to the government directly 21% + duties .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

orangeman

Quote from: Gnevin on June 17, 2009, 09:59:33 AM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 17, 2009, 09:32:03 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on June 17, 2009, 09:21:40 AM
Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on June 17, 2009, 09:16:27 AM
You live by the sword...

In what way are they living by the sword?

... you die by the sword.  Aimed at the GPA rather than players

You can't whinge like feck for a slice of the pie in the good times, then whinge like feck when the pie is all eaten.  Dessie sounds a bit malcontent.

I know the expression I just can't see how it applies here . The GAA generates far more money for the economy that these grants cost. Look at all the money the greyhounds get off the government where are the cut backs there?
[/b]

Bord na gCon are suffering severe cutbacks as well - redundancies are being made throughout Ireland - Horse racing money is also being severely cut back. It's not as if they are picking out the IC players. But I'd argue that the GAA contributes more to the economy than both of those sports.

Gnevin

Quote from: dublinfella on June 17, 2009, 02:20:56 PM
Quote from: Zulu on June 17, 2009, 01:21:35 PM

To me they are two entirely seperate arguments.

1: Should the state be entitled to tweak with taxes to encourage certain industries, from IFSC status to artists? I think there is a merit in giving a capped tax releif to encourage professional athletes to base themselves here.

2: Should elite GAA players get a grant? I do not think that is an appropriate use of taxpayers money and is professionalism in everything other than name.
So you'd give money too a paid professional before an amateur?   ???
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Zulu

QuoteI go to a match spend 200, money to the local economy , 40 taxis , Drink, food , a percentage or all of the ticket,  money to the government directly 21% + duties .

Which occurs at GAA games as well so why should rugby players and not GAA players get something back?

QuoteTo me they are two entirely seperate arguments.

Why should we encourage professional athletes stay here, if the top, for example, 50 rugby and soccer players left to play in England, they would be replaced by other players so the only real loser would be our clubs who would be weaker. But why should tax payers help keep professional sports teams strong (relatively) yet do nothing for a sports organisation that has used the money saved from paying players to provide hundreds of thousands of kids sports facilities the length and breath of the country? By the way I'm not arguing for the grants if they are gone they are gone but why should, already well paid athletes, get a tax break when everyone else is having to take a hit?

Gnevin

Quote from: Zulu on June 17, 2009, 02:54:08 PM
QuoteI go to a match spend 200, money to the local economy , 40 taxis , Drink, food , a percentage or all of the ticket,  money to the government directly 21% + duties .

Which occurs at GAa games as well so why should rugby players and not GAa players get someting back.

I'm not arguing  GAA players or Rugby players should have to give something back. I'm arguing it's moronic policy to "save" x million which will indirectly or directly lead to the lose of  many times x.