Players grants to be axed - when will the strike start?

Started by stephenite, June 17, 2009, 07:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: stephenite on June 17, 2009, 10:40:50 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on June 17, 2009, 10:37:16 AM
The 40% tax relief for professional sportspeople is also being axed. This will have a massive impact on professional rugby in particular. So its not just the Gaa.
The tax relief on stud fees/greyhound fees etc ended last July. So again that will hit those industries.
In relation to the grants awarded to these industries , Fianna Fail has  love affair with these industries.
Read the newspapers lads.

Based overseas - don't get a chance to read article online. Cheers Indiana - the tax relief on pro sportspeople is a big indication that the government are targeting the whole range of sportspeople not just GAA players

Only thing is mate- expect a national media whinge on the 40% tax relief scheme - might save it. I know moves are afoot on that one. But the Commissioner of Taxes is holding firm so far. The Gaa players won't get a lot of media support for the grants scheme- as rugby is now allegedly the "heartbeat of the nation" .
As for the grants awarded to the racing industry- have to get rid of fianna fail to end that. They claim they bring in jobs etc- which is all bullshit really.

AZOffaly

I'm willing to trust Dessie when he said that they won't ask the GAA to replace this grant, and by that I am assuming that no scheme of a different name is put in place by the GAA instead. I'm confused by this sentence though'

'but stated it would represent an 'abandonment' of inter-county players by the Government and the GAA.'

Why would this imply the GAA are abandoning the players? If anything it's the Government 'abandoning' the players AND the GAA. I hope it's just a misinterpretation of the statement by the journo. Is there a direct quote anywhere?

In general, I was like Stephenite. I am happy if the players get recognised by the government as being cultural assets, fair play to them, but I am not willing for the GAA to stump up out of GAA funds to pay them.

Zulu

Well if the tax relief for professional athletes is also cut then the GPA don't have a leg to stand on as the grant was justified on the basis that professionals were getting money from the government and that GAA players should also be entitled to something. It must be very frustrating for the GPA to see something they've worked so hard to get, disappear before they actually get any money but if it's happening across the board they can have no complaints and there is certainly no justification for looking to teh GAA to make up the shortfall. By the way I'd be disgusted if there is any weakening on the abandonment of tax relief for professional sports people, on what grounds would that be justified?

INDIANA

On the basis thats its for a select minority of people and not for the general population.  I wouldn't have any sympathy for the Irish international rugby players but for the poor sod of an athlete that scheme had the potential to be beneficial to them.

Zulu

I agree Indiana, athletes put a huge effort into their sport with little recognition or financial reward and I'd have no problem with them getting something but professional soccer or rugby players have no justification whatsoever for getting that kind of tax break.

dublinfella

Quote from: tyronefan on June 17, 2009, 10:03:14 AM
it was never any thing to do with the gaa

it was the government giving grants to amateur sports people the same as they do in all other sports in Ireland

What other team sports were eligible for this grant?

Quote from: Zulu on June 17, 2009, 11:25:18 AM
I agree Indiana, athletes put a huge effort into their sport with little recognition or financial reward and I'd have no problem with them getting something but professional soccer or rugby players have no justification whatsoever for getting that kind of tax break.

The only soccer players entitled to this tax rebate are LoI ones. How are they less entitled to "recognition or financial reward" than intercounty players?

Long and the short of it was that these was an ill concieved scheme and never likely to happen.

Gnevin

Quote from: INDIANA on June 17, 2009, 11:12:00 AM
On the basis thats its for a select minority of people and not for the general population.  I wouldn't have any sympathy for the Irish international rugby players but for the poor sod of an athlete that scheme had the potential to be beneficial to them.

Sport in general and are massive generator of wealth with very little investment. The semi in Croker generated up too 50 million for the local economy with out a set of overseas fans needing hotels.  (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0128/1232923369616.html) . Now the money given in tax relief would be buttons compared to the over all wealth generated by Rugby  in this country. One of the reasons Rugby is this country has managed to be successful is the tax relief has allow the IRFU keep it's best players at home.  So saving the tax relief now will cost us dearly soon .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

tyronefan

Quote from: dublinfella on June 17, 2009, 12:47:19 PM
Quote from: tyronefan on June 17, 2009, 10:03:14 AM
it was never any thing to do with the gaa

it was the government giving grants to amateur sports people the same as they do in all other sports in Ireland

What other team sports were eligible for this grant?

Quote from: Zulu on June 17, 2009, 11:25:18 AM

The only soccer players entitled to this tax rebate are LoI ones. How are they less entitled to "recognition or financial reward" than intercounty players?

Long and the short of it was that these was an ill concieved scheme and never likely to happen.

Boxing team, hockey teams, 4 x 400 relay team, 4 x 100 relay team..................................... and so on

INDIANA

Quote from: Gnevin on June 17, 2009, 12:48:41 PM

Sport in general and are massive generator of wealth with very little investment. The semi in Croker generated up too 50 million for the local economy with out a set of overseas fans needing hotels.  (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0128/1232923369616.html) . Now the money given in tax relief would be buttons compared to the over all wealth generated by Rugby  in this country. One of the reasons Rugby is this country has managed to be successful is the tax relief has allow the IRFU keep it's best players at home.  So saving the tax relief now will cost us dearly soon .

Well thats tough for professional rugby in my view. The likes of BOD for example do very nicely without an estimated 2m tax rebate at the end of his career. That rebate would cover a lot of salaries in the job centre. I would say professional rugby has done well due to the time invested into training and coaching these players to the required standard. Wonder what tax rebates the coaches get?
They can't jutsify giving millions back to guys who are already earning millions due to sponsorship deals alone.
It should be means tested- so that the poor athletes and the average rugby player or average LOI player doesn't get screwed. But the international rugby players needn't be looking for any sympathy of me. I know in detail exactly what one of them earns and even I was shocked.
If they want to retain the scheme -it has to be means tested.

dublinfella

Quote from: tyronefan on June 17, 2009, 12:50:10 PM

Boxing team, hockey teams, 4 x 400 relay team, 4 x 100 relay team..................................... and so on

Interesting interpretation of team, but I'll play along.

Hockey teams? Do you want to phone a friend?

The intercounty players were tacked into a scheme for Olympians. No other amateur sportsmen at the elite of their team sports are entitled to the grant in the manner GAA players were. It was an Irish solution to an Irish problem and was thankfully pulled.

If we want GAA players getting paid, the GAA should pay them. If we don't, then they shouldn't. Quite simple really.

Tankie

well said Gnevin - good post!
Grand Slam Saturday!

stephenite

Quote from: dublinfella on June 17, 2009, 01:04:32 PM

The intercounty players were tacked into a scheme for Olympians. No other amateur sportsmen at the elite of their team sports are entitled to the grant in the manner GAA players were. It was an Irish solution to an Irish problem and was thankfully pulled.

What other amateur sportsmen/women do you think should be entitled to receive these grants, given the huge spin off boosts to local economies and huge interest these players generate, are there other teams that should've been included in this scheme also?

bingobus

Quote from: INDIANA on June 17, 2009, 01:00:52 PM

Well thats tough for professional rugby in my view. The likes of BOD for example do very nicely without an estimated 2m tax rebate at the end of his career. That rebate would cover a lot of salaries in the job centre. I would say professional rugby has done well due to the time invested into training and coaching these players to the required standard. Wonder what tax rebates the coaches get?
They can't jutsify giving millions back to guys who are already earning millions due to sponsorship deals alone.
It should be means tested- so that the poor athletes and the average rugby player or average LOI player doesn't get screwed. But the international rugby players needn't be looking for any sympathy of me. I know in detail exactly what one of them earns and even I was shocked.

I agree with you but I took it that the original point on the IRFU was to counter that claim that the GAA is of massive economic benefit to Ireland and therefore the GAA should be giving back something to reflect this.

The argument was then the IRFU was also having a big impact on the ecomony. They have reached the level of competitioniveness as they are able to retain th best players due to the relief in place and this has also "helped the country".

In summary the argument that the GAA has a claim to releif because of the role it plays in Irish society and economy is nonsense.

INDIANA

Quote from: bingobus on June 17, 2009, 01:09:55 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on June 17, 2009, 01:00:52 PM

I agree with you but I took it that the original point on the IRFU was to counter that claim that the GAA is of massive economic benefit to Ireland and therefore the GAA should be giving back something to reflect this.

The argument was then the IRFU was also having a big impact on the ecomony. They have reached the level of competitioniveness as they are able to retain th best players due to the relief in place and this has also "helped the country".

In summary the argument that the GAA has a claim to releif because of the role it plays in Irish society and economy is nonsense.

Very difficult to integrate anything into current tax law for amateur sportspeople. The grants scheme was probably the best idea. The 40% scheme was one of Mc Creevy's babies. Funny enough he was lambasted by the opposition for bringing it in at the time. So if FF do get rid of it which they say they are going to do then its highly unlikely FG will bring it back in when they get the reins.

tyronefan

Quote from: dublinfella on June 17, 2009, 01:04:32 PM
Quote from: tyronefan on June 17, 2009, 12:50:10 PM

Interesting interpretation of team, but I'll play along.

Hockey teams? Do you want to phone a friend?

If we want GAA players getting paid, the GAA should pay them. If we don't, then they shouldn't. Quite simple really.

http://www.arts-sport-tourism.gov.ie/publications/release.asp?ID=149

Anyway why should there be a difference between teams and individuals