Is the Gaa dying on the GaaBoard?

Started by muppet, June 16, 2009, 03:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why are there more posts on the Cricket thread than on combination of the Munster Final + Derry v Tyrone threads?

Early season apathy, it'll pick up later
26 (40.6%)
Poor quality of gaelic games this year
11 (17.2%)
Cricket is the future
27 (42.2%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Dinny Breen

Muppet here are your posting stats

General discussion       1857
GAA Discussion       670
Hurling Discussion       54
Local GAA Discussion       20

Maybe you need to talk GAA more and we will follow.... ;)
#newbridgeornowhere

cavan4ever

Derry V Monaghan thread has 70 or 80 pages and still going strong.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: cavan4ever on June 16, 2009, 03:32:30 PM

the last 59 pages are all cribbing and crying to be fair  :D

Rois

Time for a re-introduction of the GAA(board) Rule 42?  

C'mon, solutions not problems.  

The two sections of the board are not mutually exclusive.  Have GAA posts really fallen, or have the non-GAA posts increased?

And sure Tyrone don't play challenge matches so I've no interest in them.  

Gnevin

Quote from: longball on June 16, 2009, 03:22:12 PM
Think its about time the board was advertised a bit better get some new fish on board. Im from Tyrone and there is a strong northern group of posters but there are hardly and Munster ones and hardly any Dubs either.
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 16, 2009, 03:16:49 PM

You need to be very thick skinned to be a Dublin on this board.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

muppet

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 16, 2009, 03:30:43 PM
Muppet here are your posting stats

General discussion       1857
GAA Discussion       670
Hurling Discussion       54
Local GAA Discussion       20

Maybe you need to talk GAA more and we will follow.... ;)

You are right, but the question still stands. We have threads on rugby friendlies which I have posted on, Cricket which I have posted on, soccer trivia which I have pointed on. I post on the Gaa threads relevant to Mayo and the occasional other Gaa thread which interests me, but there is a shortage of them. That is my point.
MWWSI 2017

cavan4ever

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 16, 2009, 03:34:20 PM
Quote from: cavan4ever on June 16, 2009, 03:32:30 PM

the last 59 pages are all cribbing and crying to be fair  :D

Thats true  :D

bingobus

I have noted that a lot of Forums be it soccer/gaa/general are not as busy/popular as they where.

Maybe people are working harder or unemployed now!!

I know that the rest of the GAA scene would have little interest to me as regards discussing it. Its probably a weakness of the All-Ireland and provincal set up, that Kildare V Wexford has very little impact outside them 2 counties and Laois who is waiting for them. A match in the EPL will have more interest to others as the result will have a bearing on the league table.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: muppet on June 16, 2009, 03:25:12 PM
This is not meant to join the annual 'the board is dying' threads.

This is about the level of interest in the Gaa on the board.

The Lions thread has as many pages as Cork v Kerry and they are only playing friendlies in the run up to the test match. How many threads have we on Gaa challenge matches?

The Football trivia thread has the same number of pages and it started mid April.

I have to say I agree. Think the GAA talk on the forum has been noticeably quiet this year. We definitely suffer from a lack of geographical balance. Very hard for anyone to have a conversation about a lot of counties because either no one's interested or, in the case of Munster threads, it sometimes gets hijacked by the Tyrone / Kerry thing. There are certainly a number of posters who spend a lot of time on the board but seem to have little interest in discussing Gaelic Games. Now obviously the non-GAA section is an important part of the board and I use it all the time myself but I've never quite understood the mentality of people who seem to be on here to discuss almost exclusively anything except the GAA.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

SLIGONIAN

I cant for the life of me understand Sligo v Galway thread is basically dormant, 2 pages and little interest on either side. Just dont really understand to be honest.

Didnt know you could look at stats of individual members but glad when I seen mine.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Bud Wiser

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

SidelineKick

"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 16, 2009, 04:43:05 PM
I cant for the life of me understand Sligo v Galway thread is basically dormant, 2 pages and little interest on either side. Just dont really understand to be honest.

Didnt know you could look at stats of individual members but glad when I seen mine.

in fairness Sligonian you can't be accused of showing a lack of interest . I'd say if there was no one around to talk football with you would talk to yourself   ;) :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

muppet

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 16, 2009, 04:43:05 PM

Yea, but you voted that Cricket was the Future.
MWWSI 2017

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 16, 2009, 04:45:16 PM
There is not enough rows anymore.

the board members aren't big enough to start a fight with bud  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001