The Greatest Point

Started by ONeill, June 06, 2009, 11:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: muppet on June 11, 2009, 03:43:32 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 11, 2009, 01:55:27 PM
Has such a kick in similar circumstances been bettered since, in Croke Park?

Whether it was a run of the mill kick for such a player, is irrelevant.

Ever hear of the equalizer?

Galway have.

is that the nick name of a referee in galway ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Main Street

I thought he was talking about an act of retribution.

ONeill

What was the point that bounced over the bar involving Meath in the 1990s?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on June 11, 2009, 09:26:40 PM
What was the point that bounced over the bar involving Meath in the 1990s?

We do not speak of such a point in Mayoland.

I was thinking 1987 semi final in response to the McEneaney comparison.
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

You're right Muppet, Larry Tomkins get the draw for Cork in 1987. it was a last ditch free kick from way past the 50yd line.

He must have noted McEneaney's line a couple of years previous..

Frank Casey

For THA free kick by Maurice in 2001 - no argument. It showed the complete footballer. He kicked for a similar position in the 97 AIF against Mayo with the left foot. Best goal for me was him against Armagh in the 2000 semi final replay - soloed with the right, drop kicked (me jesus) with the left. GENUIS
KERRY 3:7

muppet

Quote from: Frank Casey on June 12, 2009, 07:32:29 PM
For THA free kick by Maurice in 2001 - no argument. It showed the complete footballer. He kicked for a similar position in the 97 AIF against Mayo with the left foot. Best goal for me was him against Armagh in the 2000 semi final replay - soloed with the right, drop kicked (me jesus) with the left. GENUIS

See all three http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gFJVotAoNk&feature=related

The kick against Mayo was with his right though he did score a 20 metre free from near the sideline, off the ground, with his left in the first half. 
MWWSI 2017

Shamrock Shore

Barden's point agin Wexford too was special. I remember Tony Davis on Da Sundah Game almost melting looking at it in replay.

And it was special - Jazes the rain was shocking that day. Meself and Auld Shamrock were soaked.

But for sheer WTF   :o and the applause of the Down supporters around me and the warm 'I was there' feeling it gave us, Paul's point against Down will never be topped (in my opinion)

rrhf

When I watched that link above 2 things:
Maurice point is probably the best free kick or line ball I have seen but it isnt within a hounds goul of the top 3 points I have seen on a gaelic football field, thats no disrespect to the great man it is a placed kick and he had time to compose himself regardless of carr. He had a punt and Id say a good placekicker would hit 5 out of 10 of them if they had to go for it. Gooche point last week was a much superior score for example.
secondly at 1 30 mins in the Aussi rules fight video that is offered after the maurice shrine K Mc Donald walks away watching an Irish man getting hammered on the ground...

muppet

Quote from: rrhf on June 13, 2009, 11:01:55 AM
Maurice point is probably the best free kick or line ball I have seen but it isnt within a hounds goul of the top 3 points I have seen on a gaelic football field, thats no disrespect to the great man it is a placed kick and he had time to compose himself regardless of carr. He had a punt and Id say a good placekicker would hit 5 out of 10 of them if they had to go for it. Gooche point last week was a much superior score for example.
secondly at 1 30 mins in the Aussi rules fight video that is offered after the maurice shrine K Mc Donald walks away watching an Irish man getting hammered on the ground...

So your point on the Greatest Point thread is that K McD is a coward. And of course you say this anonymously.

You ignore of course that McDonald had 3 Australians on top of him punching the head off him at the start of that game. Good man. Heroic stuff.
MWWSI 2017

rrhf

Come on, where did I say that in my observation Muppet, undoubtedly its a snapshop and possibly out of context.  Ill ask you your opinion if you wish, and Ill reserve mine if thats ok. 

INDIANA

Quote from: rrhf on June 13, 2009, 11:01:55 AM

A good placekicker wouldn't have scored it- I'd put a mortgage on it. And I'd go as far to say at that time there wasn't a player in the country who would have had the range to kick that under that sort of pressure. That is fully 55-60 yards into a crossbreeze- I was behind that goal. Never seen anything like it since.

rrhf

I watched it live on TV and dont get me wrong it was an outstanding placed kick, and so was mc enaneys and much less so Canavans against Armagh(not in the same ballpark) but to me what Gooch done last weekend showed much more Gaeliic Football skill and instinct in an impossible environment getting aggressively and legitimately tackled wheras Maurice had the chance to compose himself, and have a go.  Much in the same way O Gara /Wilkinson / Barry Hall or Ronaldo might have a go.  Free takers are "paid" to take frees - thats what they do and practice till the cows come home.  Gooch had to invent and create every aspect of his point, in fact Maurice who was one of the greatest ever in my opinion scored bucket loads of points better than that.   

muppet

Quote from: rrhf on June 13, 2009, 11:46:46 AM
I watched it live on TV and dont get me wrong it was an outstanding placed kick, and so was mc enaneys and much less so Canavans against Armagh(not in the same ballpark) but to me what Gooch done last weekend showed much more Gaeliic Football skill and instinct in an impossible environment getting aggressively and legitimately tackled wheras Maurice had the chance to compose himself, and have a go.  Much in the same way O Gara /Wilkinson / Barry Hall or Ronaldo might have a go.  Free takers are "paid" to take frees - thats what they do and practice till the cows come home.  Gooch had to invent and create every aspect of his point, in fact Maurice who was one of the greatest ever in my opinion scored bucket loads of points better than that.   

We may have jokingly rubbished Canavan's against Armagh but that is because you would have bet your house on Canavan or for that matter Fitzgerald. There are many class players though who I wouldn't have put my house on. Poor Dessie Dolan famously missed an easier one.

You say a good place kicker would have scored it 5 out of 10. Maybe, but Fitzgerald only had one go, it was his first touch of the match and he had to score (not merely have a punt as you say). He kicked it from off the pitch, rather than stealing a few yards as most players will do (the ref had given a lot to Kerry towards the end of that game and he didn't want to risk being pulled for encroaching) and Semple is probably the widest pitch in the country. Notice that it goes over the black spot, just as Canavan's did against Armagh. I personally never doubted either of them.
MWWSI 2017

Carmen Stateside

1 min 30sec  Mc Geeney gives the Aussie a nice rib tickler, f**k me  :D