The Greatest Point

Started by ONeill, June 06, 2009, 11:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: loughshore lad on June 10, 2009, 11:41:38 AM
Canavan scored so many fantastic points in that 94-96 period.

2 in particular stick in my mind:

1994 Ulster semi final in Breffni against Donegal on a very wet day.  He scored a point out on the right wing with the inside of the right foot after winning a very difficult low ball and skipping past a few players, for the tricky conditions it was unreal.

1995 Ulster semi against Derry in the first half.  He picked the ball up around the half way line beat a few defenders to be faced by Henry Downey who knocked Canavan off his stride, he went down on one knee, bounced straight back up again and kicked it over.  

That was a serious score - seen it on video recently - unbelievable balance.

INDIANA

NO Brainer really Maurice Fitz in 2001. The context has to be taken into account. Last minute, last chance, one point down, wrong side of the pitch for a right footer, 55 yards out from a standing start with a cross breeze to contend with. Unbelievable. Broke my heart that day.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: INDIANA on June 10, 2009, 12:01:47 PM
NO Brainer really Maurice Fitz in 2001. The context has to be taken into account. Last minute, last chance, one point down, wrong side of the pitch for a right footer, 55 yards out from a standing start with a cross breeze to contend with. Unbelievable. Broke my heart that day.

Plus he had Tommy Carr in his face
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

rrhf

1994 Ulster semi final in Breffni against Donegal on a very wet day.  He scored a point out on the right wing with the inside of the right foot after winning a very difficult low ball and skipping past a few players, for the tricky conditions it was unreal.  Meatheamh Ls lad remember it.

I remember a replayed club championship game against Errigal Ciaran, I think Canavan was going through his 'bad" patch in 99 I think and he went throiugh on goals in the first half and the goalkeeper smothered the shot.  At half time the goalie tapped the wee man on the back of the head and said Peter I can rememnber when ye used to score them.  In the second half Canavan took clean out scored 2 goals including one where he took a sideline from 60 yards out took the one 2 and rounded the entire defence before slipping in his second, one of the greatest goals ive seen.  As the goalkeeper picked the ball out for the second time, the wee man ran in and said, "Paddy I can remember when you used to save them."  His famous years were 95 / 2003 etc but to the few who witnessed his feats in 94 he was as unmarkable as he ever was.  

rrhf

Just  a wee story about the legend sorry for going off topic on to goals

muppet

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 10, 2009, 12:04:42 PM

Plus he had Tommy Carr in his face

Plus he had only come on.
MWWSI 2017

stew

One of the best points I ever saw was scored by Collegelands Leo McGeary in a national league game in the athletic grounds. leo got the ball and soloed for about twenty yards, beat two men and from a dead run hugging the right sideline dropped her over from a full forty five yards. my jaw dropped at that score.

Fitzgeralds point was the best i have ever seen given all the variables attached to it. That man quit playing inter county footbal prematurely and I wonder sometimes if kerry would have won sam a couple of times more if he had stuck around, he was that good. he is the best two footed player i ever saw.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stibhan

Quote from: Tim Buzaglo on June 08, 2009, 01:09:34 PM
Quote from: up tyrone on June 07, 2009, 04:36:06 PM
Stevie o neills against the dubs in the drawn game in 2005 on the 14yd line with his right foot from the hogan stand sideline to put tyrone up,infact stevie could have 6 are 7 up their.

Yeah, 6 or 7.  If you add in a couple from Cananvan, one from Dooher and then 5 from the right, five from the left, one.......blah blah blah

You lot are the biggest pack of delusional bullshit merchants you could ever meet!

It's called an opinion, jesus christ. Just because you're from Londonderry doesn't mean you have to cry about it.

Tim Buzaglo

Quote from: stibhan on June 10, 2009, 09:53:34 PM
Quote from: Tim Buzaglo on June 08, 2009, 01:09:34 PM
Quote from: up tyrone on June 07, 2009, 04:36:06 PM
Stevie o neills against the dubs in the drawn game in 2005 on the 14yd line with his right foot from the hogan stand sideline to put tyrone up,infact stevie could have 6 are 7 up their.

Yeah, 6 or 7.  If you add in a couple from Cananvan, one from Dooher and then 5 from the right, five from the left, one.......blah blah blah

You lot are the biggest pack of delusional bullshit merchants you could ever meet!

It's called an opinion, jesus christ. Just because you're from Londonderry doesn't mean you have to cry about it.

Such hilarity
Will we ever see another one?

saffron sam2

Quote from: Main Street on June 09, 2009, 12:45:00 AM
Monaghan people have long memories (out of necessity) for a few sporting achievements.

The Monaghan cast iron entry to an all time top 10 list.
Anyone witness  Eamon McEneaney's last kick of the game equalising point against Kerry in AISF 1985,
a free kick taken from a conservatively measured 65 yards out?

Either

(1) you don't understand what conservatively means

or

(2) the measurement was taken from half way up the Canal End terrace.

A couple of yards outside the 50 yard line directly in front of goal. A run of the mill kick for a free taker of McEneaney's ability.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Main Street

Has such a kick in similar circumstances been bettered since, in Croke Park?

Whether it was a run of the mill kick for such a player, is irrelevant.

rrhf

INDIANA

Must apologise to maurice for suggesting his right foot was better than his left. I'm quite sure he could have kicked it with his left as well.

Main Street

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on June 11, 2009, 01:55:27 PM
Has such a kick in similar circumstances been bettered since, in Croke Park?

Whether it was a run of the mill kick for such a player, is irrelevant.

Ever hear of the equalizer?

Galway have.
MWWSI 2017