The Greatest Point

Started by ONeill, June 06, 2009, 11:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

What's the best inter-county point you've seen scored in the flesh?

For me, probably Canavan's v Kerry in the 2005 final, followed by Maurice's in 2001.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ardmhachaabu

Championship, league or both?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Yes I Would

Wee James, Celtic Park 94

Trevor Hill

Wee James v Derry in 94.

"if this ball goes over the bar Celtic Park will erupt"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O6iTJfrcCc&feature=related

Jinxy

Well, I don't remember the Canavan point you're talking about ONeill so I think that answers your question! :D
Every person who's ever watched gaelic football will instantly know what you're talking about when you say Maurice Fitz from the sideline versus the Dubs.
The context (Kerry down by 1 with time almost up), on top of the huge skill factor make it easily the greatest point I've ever seen.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lar Naparka

I'd go with Ciaran McDonald's late, late winner against the Dubs in 2006. (But then I would say that, wouldn't I?)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Gaffer

Stephen O'Neill's point from a ridiculous angle in the floodlit game v the Dubs in January this year.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Shamrock Shore

Longford's Paul Barden v Down in AIQ in, 2002, in Longford.

Got the ball in the Longford square, soloed the length of the pitch, dodged about 12 tackles and scored a marvellous point out on the left.

Even the Down contingent applauded.

I don't think I will ever see a better point (but Dooher's in the AIF last year almost matched it....almost)

the green man

Damian O Reilly Cavan v Donegal (1991ish). Also Eamonn Burns v Down 1991. It started a generation sliceing kicks

ONeill

Quote from: Jinxy on June 06, 2009, 11:07:49 PM

The context (Kerry down by 1 with time almost up), on top of the huge skill factor make it easily the greatest point I've ever seen.

Maybe that's an example of revisionism. It was in normal time and Dublin had 2 chances to win the game from placed balls after Maurice's point.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Brian Phelan against Cushendall in All Ireland Club Semi this year in injury time from a sideline about 60 yards out to put it to extra time. It brought a smile to my face.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 06, 2009, 11:11:02 PM
I'd go with Ciaran McDonald's late, late winner against the Dubs in 2006. (But then I would say that, wouldn't I?)

You're not the only one.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

north down

Dooher's first (from under the Cussack) in last years all-ireland final wasn't a bad one.

5 Sams

In the flesh it was wee James in Celtic Park ...but its unfair to restirct this thread to "in the flesh"...

Have a look at this...

Take your pick ... this lad is a genius..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gFJVotAoNk&feature=related

The Aristocrat Years

Sandy Hill

Fitzgerald's point v Dublin in 2001 was incredible; I could hardly believe it when I saw it! Was reminded about it again tonight on TG4's All Ireland Gold.
"Stercus accidit"