The Greatest Point

Started by ONeill, June 06, 2009, 11:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: ONeill on June 06, 2009, 11:19:00 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 06, 2009, 11:07:49 PM

The context (Kerry down by 1 with time almost up), on top of the huge skill factor make it easily the greatest point I've ever seen.

Maybe that's an example of revisionism. It was in normal time and Dublin had 2 chances to win the game from placed balls after Maurice's point.

How is that revisionism?
If he missed, they lost.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Carmen Stateside

cavan4ever

Quote from: the green man on June 06, 2009, 11:18:26 PM
Damian O Reilly Cavan v Donegal (1991ish). Also Eamonn Burns v Down 1991. It started a generation sliceing kicks

That was the drawn match in Breffni the year Donegal went on to win All-iIeland i would love to see it again.

mannix

macdonalds siedline point against dublin was great,likewise fitzgeralds one against dublin from sideline and colm macmanamon scored a ridiculous point against galway,it should have been a mile wide but bent in something crazy.

mackers

For me it is Eamon Burns' point in the Athletic Grounds against Down, dummy solo and over the bar off the outside of the boot. Superb!
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

rrhf

Mauric Fitz was an outstanding moment and certainly the best placed ball kick I have seen in any sport ie rugby,  soccor Australian rules or GAA.  We must remember also that Kerry werent all Ireland stuff that year so it was a good punt from a footballer with hope in his heart but ultimately going nowhere against a team who were worse again.    I think Doohers last years will do me for a while in terms of an -  in play point, as the finest illustration within Gaelic football as to how sheer drive / determination / composure / athleticicsm / audacity and copious skillsets  are so crucial to ultimates success in Gaelic football,  If you can score a point as good as that then you will win all ireland medals - its as simple as that.   

SLIGONIAN

The best point i ever seen was Derek Duggan for ros against leitrim in hyde park in 94. He is right footed, on the right hand side i was directly behind it aged 12 and i just will never forget how he did it, he curled it to perfection with the side foot near corner and sideline.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Fuzzman

Like with all these it tends to be hard to impartial & you usually choose scores that mean more to you individually.

Some of Canavan's scores over the years have been breathtaking with him often beating several men before scoring from crazy angles.

In 05 SON had some crackers but with my obvious bias I too would say Donher's from last year. Almost knocked over the line twice & after such a long road on his wrong side did amazing to get it over from there

corcaioch

CiarĂ¡n McDonald booking a place in the All Ireland final for Mayo by beating Dublin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6sM-_XKXLY

it's high ....it's OVER!!!

Billys Boots

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 06, 2009, 11:17:04 PM
Longford's Paul Barden v Down in AIQ in, 2002, in Longford.

Got the ball in the Longford square, soloed the length of the pitch, dodged about 12 tackles and scored a marvellous point out on the left.

Even the Down contingent applauded.

I don't think I will ever see a better point (but Dooher's in the AIF last year almost matched it....almost)

That's mine too - closely followed by Barden's point in the rain against Wexford in New Ross, or his impossible point in the O'Byrne Cup Final against the Mini-Metros.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Over the Bar

O'Neills ability to hit outswingers from the right-hand side of the field off his right foot which makes tight angles even more difficult is breath-taking at times.    You'd think kicking an in-swinger with the left boot would make it easier for him.  Strangely he prefers to kick them off the left foot from the LHS if the field.

omagh_gael

cooper's last score today was pretty special!

up tyrone

Stevie o neills against the dubs in the drawn game in 2005 on the 14yd line with his right foot from the hogan stand sideline to put tyrone up,infact stevie could have 6 are 7 up their.

Oakleafer93

GG v the Dubs from a ridiculous angle a few years back he was standing on the end line kicked it over the bar.

Rav67

Johnny McGurk AI semi-final 1993.

Stevie Ah'Nail v the the Dubs in the League this year was an outrageous effort too.