The Greatest Point

Started by ONeill, June 06, 2009, 11:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennistheMenace

Johnny McGurk against the Dubs in 93 is one of the most memorable/important point that springs to mind.

Donnellys Hollow

Maurice Fitz kicked a ridiculous point in the NFL game against Cavan in '97 that was played in New York. Easily the greatest footballer I've seen in my lifetime.

Special mention to Martin Daly's backheeled point for Clare around 11 or 12 years back.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ExiledGael

Colm Bradley v Meath in All-Ireland qualifier in 2004. Meath a point up in injury time and Fermanagh won a sideline on 14 yard line.
Last kick of the game and he sliced it over with the outside of the right boot to take the game to extra time, which we then won.
Game wasn't televised and never even seen highlights of it.

Donegal Danny

Mark Butlers winning point for St Jarlaths against St Pats Maghera in the Hogan Cup final of 1984 played in Croke park and shown live on RTE at the time. Jarlaths won 0-10 to 2-3 with Butler the captain kicking the winner from play from under the old Cusack Stand into the hill with his left foot in injury time.

Over the Bar

Finbarr McConnell's kick out in that sailed over the opposing crossbar bar has to get a mention

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Donegal Danny on June 07, 2009, 07:01:26 PM
Mark Butlers winning point for St Jarlaths against St Pats Maghera in the Hogan Cup final of 1984 played in Croke park and shown live on RTE at the time. Jarlaths won 0-10 to 2-3 with Butler the captain kicking the winner from play from under the old Cusack Stand into the hill with his left foot in injury time.

I was at that game, I cant remember the point though. My cousin was full forward for Jarlaths that day, a great game from what I remember.

muppet

Any debate about 'the best' whatever needs context and in particular there must be high drama and extreme pressure in it's execution. For example if I break into Croke Park and on the 110th attempt I manage to replicate Ciaran McDonald's winning point against Dublin have I equalled his feat? If you agrue that it had to be in a match, what if you replicate it as the last score of a match that you are winning by 30 points? Have you equalled his feat?

My point (I know) is that the significance of the score has to be a huge part of any such debate. A technically brilliant but otherwise meaningless score can't compare with say Derek Duggan's equalising free against Mayo in 1991. Stephen O'Neill's point in Croker against Dublin this year was technically class and probably took greater accuracy than Ciaran McDonald's winning point against the same opposition but if you had the choice of scoring both, which would you choose? I'd say most would plump for the one that won a Championship semi-final.

I also think there should be two categories:

Free/Sideline kick

&

Score from play.

That way I can say Fitzgerald v Dublin 2001 is the best of the former and McDonald's 2006 winner is the best of the latter.
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

Quote from: muppet on June 07, 2009, 08:41:48 PM
Any debate about 'the best' whatever needs context and in particular there must be high drama and extreme pressure in it's execution. For example if I break into Croke Park and on the 110th attempt I manage to replicate Ciaran McDonald's winning point against Dublin have I equalled his feat? If you agrue that it had to be in a match, what if you replicate it as the last score of a match that you are winning by 30 points? Have you equalled his feat?

My point (I know) is that the significance of the score has to be a huge part of any such debate. A technically brilliant but otherwise meaningless score can't compare with say Derek Duggan's equalising free against Mayo in 1991. Stephen O'Neill's point in Croker against Dublin this year was technically class and probably took greater accuracy than Ciaran McDonald's winning point against the same opposition but if you had the choice of scoring both, which would you choose? I'd say most would plump for the one that won a Championship semi-final.

Free/Sideline kick

&

Score from play.

That way I can say Fitzgerald v Dublin 2001 is the best of the former and McDonald's 2006 winner is the best of the latter.

Oh ffs.

Just pick an effing point.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on June 07, 2009, 08:45:23 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 07, 2009, 08:41:48 PM

Free/Sideline kick

&

Score from play.

Oh ffs.

Just pick an effing point.

I did.
MWWSI 2017

rrhf

I think the Gooches effort yesterday was a superb point.

orangeman

Quote from: rrhf on June 08, 2009, 12:59:35 PM
I think the Gooches effort yesterday was a superb point.

I think he fluked it to be honest and should have been blown up for overcarrying.

Was Lynch shaking his head admiring the point or the fact that Deegan let him take so long to get the shot away ?

But I do agree, it was outrageous.

man in black

Quote from: Trevor Hill on June 06, 2009, 11:05:43 PM
Wee James v Derry in 94.

"if this ball goes over the bar Celtic Park will erupt"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O6iTJfrcCc&feature=related

How many steps did the man want ::)
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

Tim Buzaglo

Quote from: up tyrone on June 07, 2009, 04:36:06 PM
Stevie o neills against the dubs in the drawn game in 2005 on the 14yd line with his right foot from the hogan stand sideline to put tyrone up,infact stevie could have 6 are 7 up their.

Yeah, 6 or 7.  If you add in a couple from Cananvan, one from Dooher and then 5 from the right, five from the left, one.......blah blah blah

You lot are the biggest pack of delusional bullshit merchants you could ever meet!
Will we ever see another one?

North Longford

Have to agree with he Longford lads. Never saw anything like Bardens point against Down. He took a fisted pass from his own goalie and actually soloed out towards the sidelline on the press box side in Pearse Park. Where I was on that side of the field with the crowd around me he actually disappeared out of my view (Pre the steps on that side of the field) All I could see was Down players going across to try and intercept him (push him over the line) and then they would disappear out of view. Then out of the blue he re-aapears about 30 yards out with half of Down after him and continued to kick the score.
I think it is genuinely the only time I have seen both sets of supporters applaud a score.

liihb

Didn't John Donnellan score a mighty point in 98? Picked the ball up in his defence and a couple of 1-2s later it was over the bar
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.