Started by raisins, June 03, 2009, 08:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: full back on June 03, 2009, 11:08:53 AM
Quote from: Minder on June 03, 2009, 11:06:54 AM
Quote from: full back on June 03, 2009, 11:01:24 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 03, 2009, 10:56:19 AM
Quote from: full back on June 03, 2009, 10:52:53 AM
Very suprised that someone would put Gerrard above Iniesta going on the form of the 2 in the last year or 2, but then the tinted glasses are on

If Barry is worth £12 million, then Kaka is certainly worth £56 million - when you take merchandise, skill, building a team around a player etc etc

Not at all
Its only a list the actual difference between them is minimal  IMHO both World Class players
Messi way out in front though..

Tell me you arent saying Gerrard has been better than Iniesta in the last few years because he won the Writers POTY award??

You have 2 scousers in your top 5. What have they won of note in the last 2 years?

Ridiculous argument, before last week what had Messi and Kaka won in the last two seasons? So your ability is based on how well your team does. That is the old Magpie Seanie argument, that Shearer was s*it because Newcastle never won anything...............To answer your question I believe Torres had a bit part role in Spain winning the Euros last year. Iniesta has been brilliant this year, no doubt, not too many were talking about him last year on a struggling Barcelona team.

I avent mentioned Messi or Kaka FFS  ::)

Seems to create a mjor issue if anyone says anything against a scouser on this board

What has a teams success got to do with a players ability? No major issue if i think your talking bollocks i will flag it up with you.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

full back

A teams success depends on a players ability, if a player(s) hasnt the ability the team wont succeed

bingobus

Could argue all day about the top 5 players in the world...its all opinion.

Best guide would be market value, based on that you could pick any five of Messi, Iniesta, Ronaldo, Gerrard, Torres, Kaka, Rooney imho.

All are key to their team and when the team wins, you'd find them players at the heart of it. John Terry would never make in onto any lists but he is vital to Chelsea. Defenders rarely mentioned in these debates. Lampard could also be up there but his age would probably decrease his value at present.

Second tier would include Fabrages, Robinho (for home games anyway), Xavi, Eto, Giggs  ;)

The Real Laoislad

BTW in answer to the thread title I would say Yes he is worth it
If Rio Ferdinand was worth £30 mill or whatever they paid for him then someone like Kaka is worth twice as much
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: full back on June 03, 2009, 11:19:04 AM
A teams success depends on a players ability, if a player(s) hasnt the ability the team wont succeed

Djimi Traore has a Champions League winners medal....
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ludermor

Would the fact that Xavi and iniesta are so small be a reflection on the different focus of the youth structure of spanish football or just  a fluke that 2 players came through the system at the same time? When you add Messi you have 3 crucial players fro Barca all standing 5'7'' max. In england would they have progressed?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ludermor on June 03, 2009, 11:31:38 AM
Would the fact that Xavi and iniesta are so small be a reflection on the different focus of the youth structure of spanish football or just  a fluke that 2 players came through the system at the same time? When you add Messi you have 3 crucial players fro Barca all standing 5'7'' max. In england would they have progressed?

A bit like the Laois footballers  ;)  :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

full back

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 03, 2009, 11:26:58 AM
Quote from: full back on June 03, 2009, 11:19:04 AM

Djimi Traore has a Champions League winners medal....

Everyone knows Jimi is an exception to the rule

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh4aarbLfeA&feature=related

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 03, 2009, 10:37:44 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 03, 2009, 10:25:24 AM
Knocking on from this, would you rate Kaka as the best player in the world?  Is he better than Ronaldo or Messi?  When I see figures of £75 million mentioned for Ronaldo, its crazy.  Kaka is a better player than Ronaldo, so £62 (is it not £56) million is not that crazy especially if you look at the previous records for Zidane, Crespo and Vieri and those fees were paid basically 10 years ago.

IMHO

1 Messi
2 Kaka
3 Torres
4 Gerrard
5 Iniesta

1 Messi
2 Kaka
3 Ronaldo
4 Torres
5 Iniesta

Gerard would be no 6 for me ok RLL :-\. Great player but Ronaldo scores more, not much difference and tough call.

Honourable mentions to Ribery, Lampard, Casilas, Fabregas.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Minder

I raised this argument a few months ago when there was talk of Ronaldo going to Madrid, people rightly said Madrid were poor but i thought and it looks as if it will be the case that Madrid could turn that team around immediately because of their pulling power and ability to buy any player in the world.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 03, 2009, 11:38:23 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on June 03, 2009, 10:37:44 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 03, 2009, 10:25:24 AM
Knocking on from this, would you rate Kaka as the best player in the world?  Is he better than Ronaldo or Messi?  When I see figures of £75 million mentioned for Ronaldo, its crazy.  Kaka is a better player than Ronaldo, so £62 (is it not £56) million is not that crazy especially if you look at the previous records for Zidane, Crespo and Vieri and those fees were paid basically 10 years ago.

IMHO

1 Messi
2 Kaka
3 Torres
4 Gerrard
5 Iniesta

1 Messi
2 Kaka
3 Ronaldo
4 Torres
5 Iniesta

Gerard would be no 6 for me ok RLL :-\. Great player but Ronaldo scores more, not much difference and tough call.

Honourable mentions to Ribery, Lampard, Casilas, Fabregas.

Thats fine Sligonian  :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

nrico2006

I don't see how Torres is included in the list of best players - he would be one of the best strikers in the world but David Villa would surely rank higher than Torres in any list.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Minder

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 03, 2009, 11:51:27 AM
I don't see how Torres is included in the list of best players - he would be one of the best strikers in the world but David Villa would surely rank higher than Torres in any list.

Not in my list he wouldnt.

nifan

Given a choice id have torres, but it would be close.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Minder on June 03, 2009, 11:43:19 AM
I raised this argument a few months ago when there was talk of Ronaldo going to Madrid, people rightly said Madrid were poor but i thought and it looks as if it will be the case that Madrid could turn that team around immediately because of their pulling power and ability to buy any player in the world.

It seems to be something you hear more and more these days.  Usually from the likes of Shaun Custis on Sunday Supplement and idiots ringing into Talksport -

'Why would Ronaldo join Real Madrid? (for eg).  It seems that if a team has lost 2 or 3 games in quick succession or don't look like winning the league in the next 6 months then they are cast aside as not worth bothering about.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!