Ulster Semifinal- Derry v Tyrone 21/6/09 Casement Park

Started by Oakleafer93, May 31, 2009, 03:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser soze

Quote from: JMohan on June 23, 2009, 11:32:11 AM
s work with Derry last year, anyway he also went for the managers job but didn't get it, didn't he?

I agree with all of the above, though I'm not as confident as you about the qualifiers ... The Derry record in the back door is abysmal to say the least.

I just raised the fitness thing as another question - but I agree McCusker, Muldoon & Doherty missing were factors - but the bigger question I have is over player selection like I said above ... Murphy, Brown, Lynn. I don't think I'm being unfair to suggest that most people would have known that half forward line and midfield wasn't going to compete with Tyrones, I don't see how Cassidy didn't.

I thought Derry have one of the best records of any team in the qualifiers?? We have been there more than most TBH!!!  I agree with the posters who think Crook should have been on before any of our HF line, i'm amazed he's not on the panel, one of the top forwards in Derry IMO.

talktothehand

Quote from: Onion Bag on June 23, 2009, 11:49:14 AM
To be honest i didnt see the game, was doing a bit of DIY and got held up, had to listen to it on the wireless,

was talking to a chap who said that Colm Cavanagh came on as Blood sub for Brian Dooher, think he threw his weight about a bit and maybe hit someone on the back of the head or neck well anyway what he was asking was, can he be sent off with a straight red? and if so would Dooher be allowed to come back on?

he threw baby mcgoldrick to the ground when the coleraine man started making himself busy. absolutely nothing in it

JMohan

Quote from: Keyser soze on June 23, 2009, 12:02:41 PM
Quote from: JMohan on June 23, 2009, 11:32:11 AM
s work with Derry last year, anyway he also went for the managers job but didn't get it, didn't he?

I agree with all of the above, though I'm not as confident as you about the qualifiers ... The Derry record in the back door is abysmal to say the least.

I just raised the fitness thing as another question - but I agree McCusker, Muldoon & Doherty missing were factors - but the bigger question I have is over player selection like I said above ... Murphy, Brown, Lynn. I don't think I'm being unfair to suggest that most people would have known that half forward line and midfield wasn't going to compete with Tyrones, I don't see how Cassidy didn't.
I thought Derry have one of the best records of any team in the qualifiers?? We have been there more than most TBH!!!  I agree with the posters who think Crook should have been on before any of our HF line, i'm amazed he's not on the panel, one of the top forwards in Derry IMO.
We'd better not get carried away with him - he's no Sean Cavanagh - but he's certainly one of the hardest working forwards in Derry and would have been suited very well to the half forward line and the type of game Tyrone (and Monaghan) play - though against bigger teams I don't see a place for him.

Onion Bag

Ok then, lets be Hypothetical here, say he slapped Mc Goldrick in the mouth, If he were sent off with a straight red, can Dooher come back on
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

supersarsfields

Dooher would be fit to come on but they would have to take someone else of to replace him with, ie Tyrone would still be down to 14 men.

Onion Bag

Keyser soze

Quote from: Onion Bag on June 23, 2009, 12:11:20 PM
Ok then, lets be Hypothetical here, say he slapped Mc Goldrick in the mouth, If he were sent off with a straight red, can Dooher come back on

I wondered if no-one else saw this, a real dirty slap!! Glad to see Barry got straight up again and didn't roll around like themmuns letting on to be hurt. Cavanagh should get an 8 week suspension, with four weeks for Dooher, which they should appeal and get it extended to 11 weeks and reduced to 2 weeks respectively.!!

Bensars

ziggysego

Quote from: Bensars on June 23, 2009, 12:53:12 PM
Jasus yous derry ones do some cryin !

Should have known, after reading the Monaghan thread.
Testing Accessibility

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 23, 2009, 11:25:23 AM
Sorry if its already discussed but what did people think of the ref on Sunday.

I know he's not suppose to but he definitely seemed to favour the losing team with most of the 50/50 decisions but there were three incidents in particular which I couldn't believe.

1. The time in 2nd half when Stevie O looked like going to shoot on his left but then turned inside SML who clearly held him with one hand but alas no free.
2. In 2nd half was it Tommy and someone else was on the break and Tommy tried to pass but the Derry defender held his arm and so the pass fell short. Looked a blatant free. I think Tommy laiughed at the ref as not long left in it.
3. The time SON got injured, high ball in and as SON jumped to punch it back in play SML clearly drags him down to the ground by holding his arm.

Its as if Refs make exceptions for players that are stronger than others and so give the defender more leaway than others.

He was giving so many soft frees in the 1st half to both teams but I just thought in 2nd half he wanted to even it up a bit.

We rarely slag off the ref when we win the game but had Derry got a late goal or 3 it could have been fun.  ;D

On the plus side for Tyrone you have to factor in the fact that Sean Cavanagh is allowed to take 14 steps without playing the ball ;)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

JMohan

Ah God be with the days of Wee James and the 14 steps to heaven ...

seamusthebard

You are right there OK Bensar. That is why we are the laughing stock of the country!

Onion Bag

Quote from: seamusthebard on June 23, 2009, 01:04:45 PM

You are right there OK Bensar. That is why we are the laughing stock of the country!

What?

Maguire01

Quote from: Onion Bag on June 23, 2009, 01:07:18 PM
Quote from: seamusthebard on June 23, 2009, 01:04:45 PM

What?
I don't understand it either.