Ulster Semifinal- Derry v Tyrone 21/6/09 Casement Park

Started by Oakleafer93, May 31, 2009, 03:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeysteve

Quote from: hardstation on June 22, 2009, 10:27:32 PM
Fair enough and I accept that I may have got him wrong. It's just what I have seen of him.

I was just thinking there about the cousins thing and there is something in my mind, that I may have heard years ago but can't quite put my finger on it.
Is he related to the McGoldricks of Naomh Treasa in Belfast?

aye his father sean played hurling and football for st. Teresas and antrim - captained st. teresas to antrim senior football championship and antrim to all-ireland vocational schools. the mcgoldricks playing now would all be cousins
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

jodyb

Quote from: southderryman on June 22, 2009, 10:46:55 PM
cant be bothered reading the whole thread

obviously very dissapointed. not so much in defeat ass i thought we would struggle, but the manner of defeat was the worst thing.

i'm not going to criticise the manager as i think he does a decent job wherever he goes, i just reckon we need to concentrate a bit less on stopping the opposition and a bit more on attacking. its hard to be harsh tho, and i dont to use injuries as an excuse, but missing so many players os always going to leave you up against it. maybe he decided to try and keep tyrone to a low score and try to nick it i dont know.

the simple fact is tyrone are the best team in the country and cruised through yesterdays game. had we had everyone available they would still have been able to up the tempo considerably and would probably still have won.

harte and his players have been together a long time and have come as close to perfecting a team perfromance and game-plan as you are likely to see. thats were evryone else has to aim to be, it will take time, and defeats like this can only be learned from (i hope)

with all this outfall about kevin mccloy leaving and the renewed talk of the ballinderry players walking, im unsure what will happen.

hopefully get a few players back and a favourable draw to try and get back on track.

its hard to explain such a performance tho, and will take a while to get over it.

disappointed, but realistic. hopefully salvage something from the summer, get a few lads back, and try to strike a balance between the off the cuff stuff from the last few years and the very defensive set up in this year's championship to date.

i just hope the so called supporters follow the team wherever we go the next day and dont stay at home because of one bad defeat. its hard to take i know, but the players still deserve support, the things that some people were saying yesterday leaving the ground were a disgrace. its an amatuer game and these fella's devote a lot of time and effort to play for their county, too many people forget that.

What are you talking about SDM? What have you heard about Mc Cloy leavin? have you a reliable source? Disasterous if true

southderryman

Quote from: jodyb on June 22, 2009, 11:29:10 PM
Quote from: southderryman on June 22, 2009, 10:46:55 PM
cant be bothered reading the whole thread

obviously very dissapointed. not so much in defeat ass i thought we would struggle, but the manner of defeat was the worst thing.

i'm not going to criticise the manager as i think he does a decent job wherever he goes, i just reckon we need to concentrate a bit less on stopping the opposition and a bit more on attacking. its hard to be harsh tho, and i dont to use injuries as an excuse, but missing so many players os always going to leave you up against it. maybe he decided to try and keep tyrone to a low score and try to nick it i dont know.

the simple fact is tyrone are the best team in the country and cruised through yesterdays game. had we had everyone available they would still have been able to up the tempo considerably and would probably still have won.

harte and his players have been together a long time and have come as close to perfecting a team perfromance and game-plan as you are likely to see. thats were evryone else has to aim to be, it will take time, and defeats like this can only be learned from (i hope)

with all this outfall about kevin mccloy leaving and the renewed talk of the ballinderry players walking, im unsure what will happen.

hopefully get a few players back and a favourable draw to try and get back on track.

its hard to explain such a performance tho, and will take a while to get over it.

disappointed, but realistic. hopefully salvage something from the summer, get a few lads back, and try to strike a balance between the off the cuff stuff from the last few years and the very defensive set up in this year's championship to date.

i just hope the so called supporters follow the team wherever we go the next day and dont stay at home because of one bad defeat. its hard to take i know, but the players still deserve support, the things that some people were saying yesterday leaving the ground were a disgrace. its an amatuer game and these fella's devote a lot of time and effort to play for their county, too many people forget that.

What are you talking about SDM? What have you heard about Mc Cloy leavin? have you a reliable source? Disasterous if true

i heard last night but didnt pay much attention to it. got 3 text messages about it this evening, one from a usually reliable source. i found it hard to believe to be honest, could be a rumour, but this person would usually know. hopefully its not true. and hopefully the ballinderry players stick at it too. we've enough problems to deal with, without anymore.

JMohan

Barry McGoldrick is a very good player, probably gets too excited and annoyed in some games, but he's probably one of the most all round talented footballers on that starting 15.
Gerard O'Kane is another, not a dirty player by any means, sticky and annoyingly intense as a man marker, but a very good footballer

If it is true about McCloy leaving I wouldn't be surprised considering he was never really in Cassidys plans from the outset and I think it was obvious that once he could get SML or McCusker back MCloy'd be on the bench, which I think is harsh considering his honesty and power as a player. Hope it's not the case. 

saffron sam2

1. The whole thing had a funereal feel to it, as if the Derry wans hi were resigned to defeat before they even left home.
2. Casement is a great place for a match, handy to get in and out of and plenty of on street parking.
3. Tyrone much, much sharper in pre-match warm-up drills.
4. Tyrone much more physically imposing in the pre-match parade. Some of the Derry wans looked like little boys.
5. Apart from Joe Diver.
6. Derry conceded defeat as soon as they dropped an extra defender back. May have worked in 06, but there was no way it was ever going to work a second time.
7. First two balls into Derry forward line proved game was already won and lost. First one high and easily intercepted by the Block. Second one high and easily broken away by McMahon and picked up by one of a plethora of Tyrone defenders.
8. McGuckin rarely does well on small men. Should have been shifted.
9. Murphy allowed himself to be bullied by Hub, but got no help from officials. Could McCloy have done the donkey work there instead?
10. Mugsy was having a decent game and was very unfortunate to be replaced, others should have gone before him.
11. Few Derry men got the better of their immediate opponents.
12. Apart from Joe Diver
13. And Gerard O'Kane.
14. And maybe Lockhart, although I felt he got away with a lot of fouling on O'Neill.
15. McGinley's faux outrage at the incident involving McGuigan and Dooher is instituitionalised within the GAA and was simply an attempt to influence the referee.
16. I was extremely disappointed with Bung. O'Kane got the better of him and it was the Tyrone man who was the main instigator in any of the off the ball stuff I saw. Before the two of them were booked, Bung was holding O'Kane's hand, O'Kane was trying to break free, even to the point of calling the linesman's attention.
17. Bung will be a different player at the business end of the season when Tyrone will need him.
18. No matter how often the GAA tries to t**ker with the rules of Gaelic football, it will have no credibility whilst it still gives high profile matches to any re-incarnation of Gerry Kinneavy / Gearoid O Conmha.
19. Damien Cassidy will not be taken seriously until he undoes the top button of his polo shirt.
20. I would like to think that if Antrim ever won anything, they could do it with dignity and respect. This is clearly beyond Ricey and as Kieran Shannon has said in the past, maybe some of the more level headed members of the tyrone panel could have a wee word.
21. Whilst reluctant to quote Liam hayes, he is correct in one assertion. Tyrone is unquestionably the team of the decade.
22. I know exactly how many All-Ireland medals each member of the Tyrone squad has, thanks very much. I am less sure about All-Stars, but not particularly interested. Neither statistic strengthens any point you wish to make.
23. Nicknames are class.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 23, 2009, 08:53:43 AM
19. Damien Cassidy will not be taken seriously until he undoes the top button of his polo shirt.

:D

JMohan

Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 23, 2009, 08:53:43 AM
3. Tyrone much, much sharper in pre-match warm-up drills.

6. Derry conceded defeat as soon as they dropped an extra defender back. May have worked in 06, but there was no way it was ever going to work a second time.

7. First two balls into Derry forward line proved game was already won and lost. First one high and easily intercepted by the Block. Second one high and easily broken away by McMahon and picked up by one of a plethora of Tyrone defenders.

I knew it was over from the first ball - Barry McGoldrick getting caught in possession in the opening minutes of a Championship game ... unforgivable

JMohan

I know Cassidy is only in the job etc etc and he needs time ...

But these are the 3 positional decisions he made before the game that he should have known wouldn't work out
- Paul Murphy - No where near a midfielder at intercounty level, not even near fit enough
- Eoin Brown - Why? Youngster on one of Tyrones best players? Even Crook would have been better
- Enda Lynn - Same as above ... the Tyrone half back line is one of the best and he put his weakest players on them?

Things he got very right ...
- Gerard O'Kane - one of Derrys best nullified Cavanagh - though should he have been the extra man not McKaigue?
- SML - Good game on O'Neill 

Still Un-answered ...
- McCloy - Not worth 20 mins at midfield or CHB?
- Gilligan - Not worth a 30 min spell on the 40 as an impact sub? Has he nothing to offer?
- McKaigue - Does he contribute enough? He was a free man for most of the first half

comeontheredhands

anyone any idea where i could get a dvd copy of the rte coverage

rrhf

Ah get over yerself ye clown. We all accept that Joe was a bit of a bollix when he was at his kissin carryon, but thats all it was. He did it to the Derry fans, not the opposition and he did it every time he scored a goal and there was no malice or provocation intended. I'm surprised you were actually at a match to see him in person. Or was it televised????
[/quote]
Just on the Brolly thing, P Bradley in a huge interview in the Times on Sunday talked about how provbcation is important in the game, about how Brollys bro said to him in 96, if you get a chance kiss those xxxxxx and rub it into them,  and this was the crowd.... At least ricey keeps it on the field. 

OverThePostsAWide

Dooher was dreadful ...in the warm up. He fumbled at least 3 that I saw. Derry were much slicker and were easily the best team up until the ball was thrown in.  :D

Dreadful day for Derry football.

Diver did a mountain of good work, second only to O'Kane. He has limitations, but Brolly had no need to belittle him with his greyhound comment. It was a cheapshot - a bit of smug cleverness at Diver's expense. Why does he feel the need to do that? And does anybody else find his contrived spats with Spillane tiresome and cringeworthy? Spillane has occasional good points to make but overall is out of his depth and - unlike in his playing days - he flaps when he's put under pressure. Embarrassing stuff.

Now McHugh in his analysis is like that greyhound pup let out in the park. He loses the run of himself and his sh*te per second rate must be higher than all the other pundits put together. Did he just have a lucky year with Cavan? Some of his ideas on management, discipline and gameplans are totally off the wall...

Tyrone were cuter (and I definitely don't mean in looks), faster, stronger and fitter than Derry. Barry McGoldrick was on his knees (literally leaning on them) in the last 10 minutes. As were others. Fitness is a management issue. And why no 5th sub?

Gillis had no spare football the whole of the second half? WTF was that about? McGuckin had to go to the corner flag to retrieve a wide ball at one stage and the camera cut to the sideline where Cassidy and Madden were just staring into the distance oblivious. Wouldn't happen at a club minor match.

Floating the balls into the square at the end sort of summed Derry's day up - a bit desperate and lets-make-it-up-as-we-go-along. Is there nobody else on the Derry team who could float 45s into the square if that was the only option? Surely Skinner should have been on the end (or thereabouts) of those deliveries if Hail Mary goals is what was wanted?

O'Neill, Cavanagh, and Mulligan only scored two (fisted) points between them, Tyrone didn't score any goals and Derry were still beaten by 8 points.

JMohan

Quote from: rrhf on June 23, 2009, 10:04:37 AM

Ah get over yerself ye clown. We all accept that Joe was a bit of a bollix when he was at his kissin carryon, but thats all it was. He did it to the Derry fans, not the opposition and he did it every time he scored a goal and there was no malice or provocation intended. I'm surprised you were actually at a match to see him in person. Or was it televised????
Just on the Brolly thing, P Bradley in a huge interview in the Times on Sunday talked about how provbcation is important in the game, about how Brollys brolley said to him in 96, if you get a chance kiss those xxxxxx and rub it into them,  and this was the crowd.... At least ricey keeps it on the field. 
Yeh, and while there was no call for it (it's over 15 years ago now!) I'd say most Derry people were as/more embarrassed by Brolly that day than Monaghan people were annoyed. (Not many in Derry that I speak to think much of him anyway). Most Monaghan people were just sick at how poor they were themselves.

loughshore lad

Quote from: JMohan on June 23, 2009, 09:46:38 AM

But these are the 3 positional decisions he made before the game that he should have known wouldn't work out
- Paul Murphy - No where near a midfielder at intercounty level, not even near fit enough
- Eoin Brown - Why? Youngster on one of Tyrones best players? Even Crook would have been better
- Enda Lynn - Same as above ... the Tyrone half back line is one of the best and he put his weakest players on them?

- Gerard O'Kane - one of Derrys best nullified Cavanagh - though should he have been the extra man not McKaigue?

Still Un-answered ...
- Gilligan - Not worth a 30 min spell on the 40 as an impact sub? Has he nothing to offer?
- McKaigue - Does he contribute enough? He was a free man for most of the first half

Deets is no longer on the Derry squad - himself, Raymond Wilkinson and Michael McIver were surplus to requirements this year

JMohan

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on June 23, 2009, 10:13:27 AM
Dooher was dreadful ...in the warm up. He fumbled at least 3 that I saw. Derry were much slicker and were easily the best team up until the ball was thrown in.  :D

Diver did a mountain of good work, second only to O'Kane. He has limitations, but Brolly had no need to belittle him with his greyhound comment. It was a cheapshot - a bit of smug cleverness at Diver's expense. Why does he feel the need to do that? And does anybody else find his contrived spats with Spillane tiresome and cringeworthy? Spillane has occasional good points to make but overall is out of his depth and - unlike in his playing days - he flaps when he's put under pressure. Embarrassing stuff.

I can't help but think that myself - he was all praise for Diver last year about his size and all that and nice to his face and then on TV he cuts him up .... sly and dishonest.

Now McHugh in his analysis is like that greyhound pup let out in the park. He loses the run of himself and his sh*te per second rate must be higher than all the other pundits put together. Did he just have a lucky year with Cavan? Some of his ideas on management, discipline and gameplans are totally off the wall...

Oh I was thinking the same thing myself - glad someone else saw it too - he's a complete clown.
Always bitter, football is terrible and he's never seen a good game .... the man has lost his marbles completely.

Tyrone were cuter (and I definitely don't mean in looks), faster, stronger and fitter than Derry. Barry McGoldrick was on his knees (literally leaning on them) in the last 10 minutes. As were others. Fitness is a management issue. And why no 5th sub?

I genuinely think Derry have gone backwards fitness wise since last year if you look at how they came back strong against Kerry in the League Final and Monaghan in Clones. There are questions to be answered there.

Gillis had no spare football the whole of the second half? WTF was that about? McGuckin had to go to the corner flag to retrieve a wide ball at one stage and the camera cut to the sideline where Cassidy and Madden were just staring into the distance oblivious. Wouldn't happen at a club minor match.

Floating the balls into the square at the end sort of summed Derry's day up - a bit desperate and lets-make-it-up-as-we-go-along. Is there nobody else on the Derry team who could float 45s into the square if that was the only option? Surely Skinner should have been on the end (or thereabouts) of those deliveries if Hail Mary goals is what was wanted?

O'Neill, Cavanagh, and Mulligan only scored two (fisted) points between them, Tyrone didn't score any goals and Derry were still beaten by 8 points.

Sad day all round.
Bring back Crozier ...!  ::)

JMohan

Quote from: loughshore lad on June 23, 2009, 10:20:54 AM
Quote from: JMohan on June 23, 2009, 09:46:38 AM

Still Un-answered ...

Deets is no longer on the Derry squad - himself, Raymond Wilkinson and Michael McIver were surplus to requirements this year

Am I the only one who thinks he could have been useful? Or in fact if any of those were on the bench?
Funny you mention McIvor too - in Celtic Park in the League last year he ran the legs of Tyrone and was Man of the Match.
I know Cassidy probably wanted to kill the Ballinderry monopoly but he might have cut too many?

I was just looking at the Tyrone bench and just thinking if someone like Gilligan had been with Derry would Harte have cut someone with as much experience as him away completely the minute he came in or could have used him in some capacity?