80's
9 (22.5%)
90's
11 (27.5%)
00's
18 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 40

whiskeysteve

Full backs thread about not 'getting' the Beatles got me thinking about this.

Only my opinion but most popular music these days is very forgettable. Some of it is OK but very little is as influential or iconic as past decades. I know a lot of this has to do with the influence of the internet and fundamental changes in the industry, but all the same  :-\

edit: poll added
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

C_Berg_316

thats the crack she said with one leg up above on the table

blewuporstuffed

i suppose there hasnt been as many 'Classic' albums in this decade as some others but there is still some great stuff

Most of the kings of leons stuff will stand the test of time i feel (especially Because of the Times)
Although not a massive fan, The Killers had some classics on thefirst album too.

Arcade fire- Funeral
Chili peppers- By the way
the strokes- is this it
Sigur Ros-Takk
Bon Iver- for emma forever ago
Radiohead- kid a, hail to the thief , in rainbows

just off the top of my head, although IMO the 90s were  the best
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

thejuice

It depends on your tastes, different genres reached their zenith in different decades. And you also need to consider that there is an amount of albums released in different genres that will never reach mainstream radio but will be considered a classic within its own circles. I found the 90's to be the most barren but thats most likely down to my tastes.

For instance, for me 2 contenders for album of the decade were released recently; Mastodons Crack The Skye and Lunatic Souls self titled album. Both these albums were somewhat under the radar to most people I would assume, (well maybe not Mastodons)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

blewuporstuffed

As you say Juice, it depends on your taste, and also your age.
for me there are more albums in my collection from the 90's that i would consider @classic' and go back to again and again than any other decade
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 26, 2009, 11:56:40 AM
for me there are more albums in my collection from the 90's that i would consider @classic' and go back to again and again than any other decade
Name them?

The latter half of the 90's up to now has been about the single rather than albums. There are "zeitgeist" albums from our youth like Definitely Maybe that are considered important, or even classics by some people, but musically (imo) they cannot compare to bona fide classics such as Dark Side of the Moon, Stone Roses etc. Then again these may not be everyones cup of tea.

There are people out there who may consider Scooter's Back in the UK to be a classic album. It's also likely these people are from Dublin.

ziggysego

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 26, 2009, 12:12:46 PM
Name them?

The latter half of the 90's up to now has been about the single rather than albums. There are "zeitgeist" albums from our youth like Definitely Maybe that are considered important, or even classics by some people, but musically (imo) they cannot compare to bona fide classics such as Dark Side of the Moon, Stone Roses etc. Then again these may not be everyones cup of tea.

There are people out there who may consider Scooter's Back in the UK to be a classic album. It's also likely these people are from Dublin.
:D :D

Testing Accessibility

whiskeysteve

In fairness, my view of music in the last couple of years is obviously influenced by what is played on the popular radio stations and in the charts. And these have gone to the dogs, especially the charts with lady gaga, katy perry number ones, etc when a lot of the bands mentioned so far get little airplay. The arrival of 'talent' shows like x-factor is also a blight on the decade IMO, saturating the airwaves with a steady stream of Whitney Houston tribute acts/ sympathetic characters who have to meet a pre-conceived notion of what talent is to progress. It's a pity that more innovative acts, especially those with instrumental talent are kept under the radar by said bilge
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

The Real Laoislad

Name them?

Aye I'd some of them have it up there with the Finglas "rapper" Spiral (from Big Brother) album...
You'll Never Walk Alone.

blewuporstuffed

Name them?

Radiohead- oK computer (arguably best album ever) & the bends
Jeff buckley- grace
Nirvana- nevermind & in utero
smashing pumkins- siamese dream/melloncollie & infinite  sadness
the Verve-Urban Hymns
Oasis-definatly maybe & whats the story
foo fighters- the colour &the shape (far better than any of their mosre recent stuff)
Gomez- bring it on
stone roses first album

those are just off the top of my head, there are far more

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on May 26, 2009, 12:37:49 PM
In general most people tend to think of the music they heard in their teenage years as being the one they think as the "best" or at least the one they can relate to the most. Personally I'd find popular music to be at its lowest ebb at around the (roughly) 1988 to 1991 and 1998 to 2002 eras in terms of its "quality" thanks to SAW for the first part and a production line of boy & girl groups for the next.

Most of what people still listen to from the 60's & 70's was the cream of the crop from that time. Scratch the surface and you can find just as much crap from those decades as you'd find now in the pop charts. It's a bit like American TV we watch over hear, we think its great but go over there and really watch it all and then you realise that you think its only great because you only see the better stuff that has been sieved through to be broadcast back home.

The 80's I think are underrated, sure a lot of it was cheesy but you had some great stuff from the likes of the Smiths, U2, Talk Talk, The Jam, Michael Jackson (around the time of Thriller) and the Stone Roses. Why most of the New Romantics and bubblegum pop of that time still gets loads of airplay is because for many in their 30's and 40's it brings back fond memories of that era for them in their life.

The main problem with the noughties I feel is that the "traditional" way of distributing popular music has now changed compared to a decade ago, most people now have access for 24 hour music channels and MP3 downloads rather than just waiting each week for Top of the Pops and listening to BBC Radio 1 or RTÉ Radio 2/2FM or anything else that was available all of which was easy for major record companies to dictate; they haven't come to terms yet, along with some of the major artists, of now how its all being done. That and the fact that Simon Cowell has managed to single handedly influence the public about what "it" wants.

very good point, i even find my self now impatiently  flicking through music on the ipod rather than giving an album a proper chance and lisening to it the whole away through sever al times after buying it the way i used to do.
the release of an alvbum used to be an event, and you looked forwrds to buying it and listening to it for the first time, where as now it is much easier to pick and choose the singles or download the whole album for nothing. music has become more disposable and when you can down load 3/4 albums at a time for nothing they generally wont get the same effort from you to listen to them again and again if the don t grab you straight away.

Gnevin

Thanks to the internet Music has changed . People have the option of paying for a single or downloading an album and ignoring the songs that normally "are growers" .  This has lead to the thankful decline of the young girls music such as Boyzone and Spice girls and the near infinite number of copies .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Orior

Quote from: Gnevin on May 26, 2009, 01:01:44 PM
Thanks to the internet Music has changed . People have the option of paying for a single or downloading an album and ignoring the songs that normally "are growers" .  This has lead to the thankful decline of the young girls music such as Boyzone and Spice girls and the near infinite number of copies .

Agreed.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians