80's
9 (22.5%)
90's
11 (27.5%)
00's
18 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 40

muppet

There was a seismic shiift in music played on the 'Pop' stations in the late 1990s in the States. They all started playing Hip-Hop. Thanks to the major labels jumping on the bandwagon that has largely found it's way across the ocean. While I like some of it, some of the time, the wall to wall playing of it in the States has badly affected what young aspiring stars aim for. It is not quite played wall to wall here but it is certainly overplayed considering it should have no real connection to us.

That means a large proportion of music on our radios represents a demographic that no Irish/British or even non-black American wrong side of the tracks artist can credibly perform.

Gangsta Rap is fine but even Eminem gets criticised on credibility grounds. The misogynist drug dealer makes good via hip-hop story is only credible for a certain demographic.

There is as there always will be some great breakthough acts and artists but the mainstream seems stuck in hip-hop.

I suspect that the global downturn will change the direction back to teenage angst (Pop) and and Creep Rock. Here's hoping. 
MWWSI 2017

DennistheMenace

Music is crap nowadays in comparison to years gone by.

Puckoon

In fairness you have the likes of Daniel odonnell and dominic kirwin who may both be close to entering a fourth decade of music making. The cream always rises to the top, and there's few better than the two larrys above.

Doogie Browser

Must be the bank holiday in the 6 counties because we have everyone saying on here music isn't what it used to be and over on the GAA side we have everyone arguing that championship football was not like it was 'back in the day'!

You have never had it so good people!!

INDIANA

Thought the 90's was poor album wise. With the exception of Oasis's first 2 albums, parklife by Blur and the strokes first one- the music from that decade largely passed me by. A lot of bubblegum pop and scobies(from dublin ;D) playing crap techo music.
Amazed to see anything by the Verve being labelled good. One of the worst live acts I've ever seen and Urban Hyms bar 2 songs was a crap album.
I actually think this decade has been pretty good with live music back in vogue.

thebigfella

Quick scrole through the Iphone brought up these gems so far. Dunno how anyone can say the 90's was a poor decade for music.

Beck - Odelay
Blur - Parklife
Daft Punk - Homework
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
Leftfield - Leftism
Massive Attack - Mezzanine/Blue Lines
Morcheeba - Big Calm
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Portishead - Dummy
Roni Size / Reprazent - New Forms
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses (only because it was re-released in 91  ;))
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang