Wicklow v Longford, Leinster SFC

Started by On the 14, May 17, 2009, 10:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

On the 14

Reckon Wicklow could cause a minor upset in this one. League form was poor but Micko won't be worrying about that and the return of Thomas Walsh is a huge boost. Any thoughts?

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

The excitement mounts....

I cannot see an upset here either but it's only small potatos.

panc56

It wouldn't be an upset. Longford are poor enough this year and have absolutely no midfield. Walsh will give Wicklow a big advantage here.
I'm a Longford fan but I'm fearful.......although I did meet Glen Ryan earlier in the year and he told me that the championship was what they were aiming for. Target were to get a Leinster semi and last 12 place.......Time will tell.

Billys Boots

QuoteLongford are poor enough this year and have absolutely no midfield.

Well, we have, but they're injured, travelling or disinterested.  Wickla by 3.

Croí na hÉireann

No offence to the Slashers but I expect Wickla to win this, is Kavanagh fit???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

On the 14

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 18, 2009, 12:29:24 PM

Why which midfielders are ye missing Billy? Thomas Walsh isn't exactly flying fit after his winter trundling around the rugby pitches either by all accounts.

LaurelEye

Quote from: On the 14 on May 18, 2009, 05:35:27 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on May 18, 2009, 12:29:24 PM

Why which midfielders are ye missing Billy? Thomas Walsh isn't exactly flying fit after his winter trundling around the rugby pitches either by all accounts.

Liam Keenan - long-term injury
Bernard McElvaney - away in Australia
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

Can we not look to Shroid for Salvation?

Billys Boots

I don't think so SS, even in moments of wild optimism.  Reynolds, Mulligan, O'Connor (jaysus wept) or Dowd appear to be the choices - I would expect them all to struggle to get a foothold in midfield even against Wickla.  And, even as last resorts, Paul Barden doesn't have the legs for it anymore and little Deccie, is well, little. 

Shamrock Shore

Prompted by Laureleye I see that Longford County Board have come up with a cunning plan to boost the travelling contingent to Portlaoise.

Fearing a large 'listen in to Shannonside attendance' they have decided to ask Willie Hegarty to take main microphone duties with Liam Tierney as his able assistant.

Now if that news doesn't tear Longford people from the wireless and into the cars, nothing will!

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 19, 2009, 04:25:54 PM
Prompted by Laureleye I see that Longford County Board have come up with a cunning plan to boost the travelling contingent to Portlaoise.

Fearing a large 'listen in to Shannonside attendance' they have decided to ask Willie Hegarty to take main microphone duties with Liam Tierney as his able assistant.

Now if that news doesn't tear Longford people from the wireless and into the cars, nothing will!

Billy, NL, could you not get onto all of the Colmcilles and get them to promise the Flake their number 1s, if only he'll step in and thave uth from thith fate worth than death?
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 19, 2009, 03:17:14 PM
I don't think so SS, even in moments of wild optimism.  Reynolds, Mulligan, O'Connor (jaysus wept) or Dowd appear to be the choices - I would expect them all to struggle to get a foothold in midfield even against Wickla.  And, even as last resorts, Paul Barden doesn't have the legs for it anymore and little Deccie, is well, little. 

I think Archie (and possibly the Shroidman) are carrying injuries as well. The Shroidman's brother was tried without great success in the challenge match in Abbey.

Zulu

Lads is it true that Longford players are less than impressed with Glen Ryan? It's hard to call this one but I'd say Wicklow on the basis of what I'm hearing about the Longford camp.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Zulu on May 19, 2009, 07:05:55 PM
Lads is it true that Longford players are less than impressed with Glen Ryan? It's hard to call this one but I'd say Wicklow on the basis of what I'm hearing about the Longford camp.

Around the new year they were impressed with him in comparison to the previous occupant of the post... though that might say a lot about their opinion of the previous occupant.

I think there are considerable questions over team selection coming from people in the clubs. I'll put it no more strongly than that for the moment. Given that there are already problems with injuries, it wouldn't help.