Cavan v Fermanagh, Ulster champ 1st rd

Started by mylestheslasher, May 17, 2009, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

Anyone know the ticket situation for Saturday evening? Heard it's all-ticket on stand side only but haven't seen that confirmed anywhere. How many can Breffni hold anyway?

Caid

Been soaking up the sun the past while haven't had a chance to reply...
QuoteIs that your own work Caid?
It was yeah - things are a bit slow at work these days ye know!

QuoteThe conclusion however is a bit of a waste of time,but anyway,worth a guess I suppose
Sure everyone on the board always says stuff like "Fermanagh by two" or "Cavan by three".  I was just trying to see what the scoreline indicated by the NFL form would be.  Similarly, whilst Fermanagh doesn't have a man that will get 5 or 6 points in every game we do have maybe half a dozen players that score in nearly every game so there are a few safe bets.

QuoteAs we know they're very different animals altogether, in terms of pace, team motivation, fitness etc. You can't really take too much from the stats
I was trying to approach it from the modern GAA manager viewpoint.  Fermanagh's fitness and motivation shouldn't be a problem in any Ulster Championship match.  So its about what else will make the difference.  And that comes down to stopping Cavan's strengths and playing to Fermanagh's strengths.  The analysis indicates that this means not conceding scoreable frees (which we are good at) and scoring goals (which we have got better at since last year).  The other consideration is home advantage which is difficult to quantify
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Caid

Quote from: ExiledGael on June 01, 2009, 07:36:28 PM
Anyone know the ticket situation for Saturday evening? Heard it's all-ticket on stand side only but haven't seen that confirmed anywhere. How many can Breffni hold anyway?

According to worldstadia "The stadium holds 32,000 spectators, 6,000 of which are seated."

22,657 were at the Cavan Armagh match in the Ulster quarter final last year and I don't think that match was on TV.  Not sure how the game being on Saturday evening will affect the crowd but i'd say the attendance might be around 18,000?  Depends on the weather I guess too and whether people sit in to watch the match and then the soccer
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

FermPundit

I haven't seen any official confirmation but it appears only the main stand is all ticket, which is great news. I think a crowd of us are just planning to go to the terrace on the open side. Hopefully the weather will stay good and there'll be a good atmosphere at the game.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

ExiledGael

Quote from: Caid on June 01, 2009, 08:25:11 PM

According to worldstadia "The stadium holds 32,000 spectators, 6,000 of which are seated."

22,657 were at the Cavan Armagh match in the Ulster quarter final last year and I don't think that match was on TV.  Not sure how the game being on Saturday evening will affect the crowd but i'd say the attendance might be around 18,000?  Depends on the weather I guess too and whether people sit in to watch the match and then the soccer

18,000 is probably optimistic Caid. I'll be there anyway, definitely on the terraces again I'd say.
Don't imagine teams will be out until Thursday night but I would be willing to put a large sum of money on O'Rourke naming the same team again. For all the talk of returning players Womble is not even a fortnight back in full training and Owens and O'Reilly haven't even completed a club game yet. Great options to come off the bench though and I think that will be cruicial, can see this being a fairly tight affair.
I hear the old Seamie Quigley issue rearing it's head again, O'Rourke apparently speaking to him after he kicked eight points against the Gaels in the first half recently. Scored another pile against Donagh on Sunday and word has it he's even off the drink. Anyway that's for another day, maybe even year.
I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the weekend, and that's incredibly worrying. Any more word on the Seanie Johnston nonsense?

FermPundit

Quote from: ExiledGael on June 01, 2009, 08:56:06 PM
Quote from: Caid on June 01, 2009, 08:25:11 PM

18,000 is probably optimistic Caid. I'll be there anyway, definitely on the terraces again I'd say.
Don't imagine teams will be out until Thursday night but I would be willing to put a large sum of money on O'Rourke naming the same team again. For all the talk of returning players Womble is not even a fortnight back in full training and Owens and O'Reilly haven't even completed a club game yet. Great options to come off the bench though and I think that will be cruicial, can see this being a fairly tight affair.
I hear the old Seamie Quigley issue rearing it's head again, O'Rourke apparently speaking to him after he kicked eight points against the Gaels in the first half recently. Scored another pile against Donagh on Sunday and word has it he's even off the drink. Anyway that's for another day, maybe even year.
I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the weekend, and that's incredibly worrying. Any more word on the Seanie Johnston nonsense?

I was at the Roslea Gaels match last weekend and Seamus Quigley was unreal, kicking points from all angles, but there's no point discussing his merits. He won't be playing this season anyway so it can wait for another day. With regards team selection for Saturday, the only change I can see is Mark Little being dropped, possibly for Shane O'Brien and maybe Shane Goan coming in for Niall Bogue. Womble, Owens and Reilly won't start but at least with these guys coming back to full fitness our squad is getting stronger. I heard Seanie Johnston pulled a hamstring on Friday night but I wouldn't believe a word of it. Maybe some of the Cavan posters can inform us of the real situation!! I'll be shocked if he doesn't start this weekend.

ExiledGael

Would be harsh to take out Bogue after the last day but O'Rourke knows best.
Rory Foy might come into the reckoning but O'Rourke usually waits until the game before finalising the team, probably helps take some of the newcomers and selections out of the limelight. What sort of a crowd do you expect?

FermPundit

Quote from: ExiledGael on June 01, 2009, 09:10:38 PM
Would be harsh to take out Bogue after the last day but O'Rourke knows best.
Rory Foy might come into the reckoning but O'Rourke usually waits until the game before finalising the team, probably helps take some of the newcomers and selections out of the limelight. What sort of a crowd do you expect?

It would be harsh on Bogue, but I just think Shane Goan is a stronger defender and if he's fit, he should start IMO. I think there'll be around 15,000. I think the fact you can pay at the gate will increase the attendance.

Caid

On the local Cavan thread a lad posted saying he had chatted Seanie's old man and he wasnt sure after it whether the injury was serious or not. 

The fact that he hasm at a minimum, strained a hamstring means that there's a fair chance he wont be at 100% for the game. 

Sometimes this idea that Manager's put out stories of there players getting injured to throw of th eopposition can be a little exaggerated (which is partly because Malachy would be the main man for these mind games so we know towatch out for them!).  Look at Coulter as an example. 

You aren't gonna be able to totally fabricate an injury story without someone letting the secret out...

offthebeatentrack

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Caid on June 01, 2009, 08:19:37 PM
QuoteAs we know they're very different animals altogether, in terms of pace, team motivation, fitness etc. You can't really take too much from the stats
I was trying to approach it from the modern GAA manager viewpoint.  Fermanagh's fitness and motivation shouldn't be a problem in any Ulster Championship match.  So its about what else will make the difference.  And that comes down to stopping Cavan's strengths and playing to Fermanagh's strengths.  The analysis indicates that this means not conceding scoreable frees (which we are good at) and scoring goals (which we have got better at since last year).  The other consideration is home advantage which is difficult to quantify

Yep I still think it's a fairly useful exercise and fair play to you Caid, my point is more that because in the league teams apply themselves differently, experiment to greater and lesser degrees, have more or fewer players resting up etc., so in the strictest sense it's hard to say it's a fully accurate picture. Cavan, or Fermanagh, may be way better than in the games you've based your findings on because it's championship and they may even be far worse against more committed opponents than they faced in the league.
Teams will be very different in their approach and will wheel out their main tactics etc in championship, so what I'd love to see would be an anlaysis like this ahead of the All-Ireland quarter-finals where teams will have played roughly the same amount of games and you'd be using only flat-out championship games to draw conclusions. I think that'd be well worth reading anywyay. Good work all the same fella!

omagh_gael

any idea why tickets for for this game are dearer than Sunday, 25e and 15e compared to 20e and 13e?

FermGael

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 02, 2009, 09:38:05 AM
any idea why tickets for for this game are dearer than Sunday, 25e and 15e compared to 20e and 13e?
Yes.  The reason is that the game is in Cavan.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

cavan4sam

Cavan team for next Saturday

James Reilly
Michael Brides
Dermot Sheridan
Michael Hannon
John McCutcheon
Eugene Keating
Padraic O'Reilly
Nicolas Walsh
Ciaran Galligan
Sean Brady
Ronan Flanagan
Cian Mackey
Martin Reilly
Ray Cullivan
Sean Johnston

Named at training yesterday, Johnston still rated by himself as doubtful but lads on panel I have been talking to say he will start.

sams the aim

I heard from a few involved in the cavan set up that the medical set up are against Johnston playing.The lads were saying he badly wanted tp play thou. same thing happened him before the Gaels played ulster club last year and he was off ater pulling the hamstring within 5 mins. I think this wud have a very demoralising effect on a newish looking cavan team. Heres hoping he will be ok.