Cavan v Fermanagh, Ulster champ 1st rd

Started by mylestheslasher, May 17, 2009, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Was hoping Fermanagh would win today. Not because I think they will be easy for us but because we get a home tie. In fact, I tipped Fermanagh for Ulster last year and I believe them to be still a very under rated team. Cavan have some quality up front and in patches around the field but the question is do we have a game plan as strong as Fermanaghs and do we have the ability to match Fermanaghs work rate for 70 minutes?

We are weak in the FB line but Fermanagh are not great up there although the big Carson lad from Newtownbutler did well in the last 1/4 against Down. I think Fermanagh are favorites but I think we might just sneak this game if we play at the top of our game.

BallyhaiseMan

Fermanagh by 10, we dont have a hope

Thats the party line Myles  ;)

Maguire01

BallyhaiseMan

Not sure if our probable full back Dermot Sheridan will have the size for Ryan Carson,
could be  a long day of bombscares everytime the ball goes in high(or at all!!! )
into our full back line.  :-\

aroundincircles

Could cavan be as bad as down i think down is the worst and most unfit county team i ever have seen.

boojangles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on May 17, 2009, 09:03:28 PM
Not sure if our probable full back Dermot Sheridan will have the size for Ryan Carson,
could be  a long day of bombscares everytime the ball goes in high(or at all!!! )
I think Carson mite actually suit Dermot Sheridan,he is a wee bit slow but very physical.If Dermot can just break ball and our corner backs and half backs b alert for it. Very impressed with Fermanaghs long range shooting in 1st half,something no team can defend against.Im delighted with the fact we are at home,but it will be very tight.Fermanagh have to be favourites,but like most Cavan people blinded by strange and unfounded optimism,we mite come away with a win.Just mite!
Malachy O Rourke will have an awful lot to say about that tho.Very very good manager with a bit of an inside track on Cavan.Could make the difference.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: aroundincircles on May 17, 2009, 09:12:13 PM
Could cavan be as bad as down i think down is the worst and most unfit county team i ever have seen.

which is suprising to say given as they have Paddy Tally who has a great reputation after training Tyrone when they won their first Sam, doing their Fitness training.
Home advantage will be a huge asset to us, We may pip Fermanagh by a few points,but they will rightly start as favourites.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: boojangles on May 17, 2009, 09:19:32 PM
I think Carson mite actually suit Dermot Sheridan,he is a wee bit slow but very physical.If Dermot can just break ball and our corner backs and half backs b alert for it. Very impressed with Fermanaghs long range shooting in 1st half,something no team can defend against.Im delighted with the fact we are at home,but it will be very tight.Fermanagh have to be favourites,but like most Cavan people blinded by strange and unfounded optimism,we mite come away with a win.Just mite!
Malachy O Rourke will have an awful lot to say about that tho.Very very good manager with a bit of an inside track on Cavan.Could make the difference.

Carson looks tall, well over 6ft,if so he will be a serious handful.
You're right about O Rourke, quality manager,been successful in every place he has been.

aroundincircles

Down have some right lads but very little good men. Cavan in briefne wont be soft all the same for the fermanagh men.

aroundincircles

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on May 17, 2009, 09:22:20 PM

You're right about O Rourke, quality manager,been successful in every place he has been.

Would his term so far in fermanagh be labelled as successfull??

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: aroundincircles on May 17, 2009, 09:23:59 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on May 17, 2009, 09:22:20 PM

Would his term so far in fermanagh be labelled as successfull??

Most Definetely

bringing Fermanagh to their first Ulster final since circa 1983????
Beating two fancied teams in Monaghan and Derry.on the way
Horrible shooting and judgement from his players cost them against Armagh.
They were poor against Kildare alright,but they had a great year last year.
Hes one of the best managers in the business in my opinion.

Gold

this game is another that will be very close to call --ive a sneaky suspicion Cavan might get to an Ulster final this year. If Seanie cut loose Cavan have a good chance but Fermanagh's defence impressed me today.

It really is close to call but i think Cavan might sneak it as Fermanagh wont take well to being favourites. Its a tag that doesnt sit comfortably with them.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

boojangles

Quote from: Gold on May 18, 2009, 12:14:38 AM
this game is another that will be very close to call --ive a sneaky suspicion Cavan might get to an Ulster final this year. If Seanie cut loose Cavan have a good chance but Fermanagh's defence impressed me today.

It really is close to call but i think Cavan might sneak it as Fermanagh wont take well to being favourites. Its a tag that doesnt sit comfortably with them.
Jelly will be doing well to get any room against Fermanagh,O Rourke will have a man dropped in front Id imagine. We will need a few other lads to step up to it in Breifne.Hopefully Pierson can shake off these injuries.On his day he can tear any defence apart,brilliant footballer but its time he showed Ulster and the rest again. Cullivan hopefully is another who can influence things,while Mackey really could be a star too.With them 4 on form we have a chance.Heres hoping.Talk of an Ulster final is crazy at the moment IMO though,Our defence just wouldnt hold.Hopefully The Gunner is available,definite for centre half IMO.