Quote from: Maguire01 on May 17, 2009, 08:48:11 PM
Fermanagh by 5.

Perhaps, but it would be more likely to be Derry by 5 next weekend :P

Maguire01

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 18, 2009, 08:08:57 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 17, 2009, 08:48:11 PM
Fermanagh by 5.

Perhaps, but it would be more likely to be Derry by 5 next weekend :P
Possibly, although i wouldn't say more likely. But there's another thread for that game.

ExiledGael

Is this match on a Saturday evening? Has the makings of a great day out.
Hopefully O'Rourke can get everyone grounded again.

FermPundit

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 18, 2009, 09:11:11 PM
Is this match on a Saturday evening? Has the makings of a great day out.
Hopefully O'Rourke can get everyone grounded again.

Throw in is at 7pm. I would suggest that there'll be a big Fermanagh crowd out in Cavan that night, regardless of the result!
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Caid

Yeah Saturday evening.  It's all set up for a night out in Cavan after the match (hopefully to celebrate)

Fermanagh will actually start this one as favourites which is the first time we will start an Ulster Championship match as favourites since 2006 against Antrim.  I don't think this bunch will pay any heed to press commentary/speculation etc anyway.

Fermanagh have plenty of options in the full back line with Shane Goan well fit to do a job on Seanie Johnson (after all he ahs done so on Bradley, McDonnell et al already) and any of Bogue/Sherry/Lyons or even Brady showing enough to suggest they could take Ger Pierson.

As a Fermanagh man I would have to be optimstic about our chances and I find it hard to understand how many of the Cavan fans on Hoganstand are optimstic about delivering a couple of point victory?  To my knowledge a lot of people have seen Ulster as a three tier champrionship over the past few years:

Tier 1
Tyrone
Armagh

Tier 2
Monaghan
Derry
Donegal
Fermanagh
Down

Tier 3
Cavan
Antrim

In 2008 Cavan beat Antrim and lost to Armagh (and then Kildare in the qualifiers)
In 2007 Cavan lost to Down in the preliminary round after a replay (and lost to Mayo in qualifiers round 1)
In 2006 Cavan lost in the preliminary round to Down (and lost to Kildare in qualifiers round 1)
In 2005 Cavan beat Antrim after a replay (and beat Donegal and Meath in the qualifiers before losing to Mayo)
In 2004 Cavan beat Down after a replay and lost to Armagh(and then lost to Derry in the qualifiers)
In 2003 Cavan lost to Antrim (and beat Louth in the qualifiers before losing to Fermanagh)

Fermanagh are now 10-1 for Ulster and Cavan are 14-1.  Quite the cut in Fermanagh's odds (28-1 before the Down match)
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

boojangles

Well hopefully all of Fermanagh comes to Breifne on the 6th and more importantly into town after.I havent been out in Cavan in a while but if theres the hope of a few Fermanagh women about I could be tempted.Somethin about the Northern women,there not stuck up their own holes like most Cavan birds.  ;D ;D

Drung

Looks like Micky Lyng could play sum part yet, according to this. Will eb back for the folowing round at worst...

http://www.anglocelt.ie/sport/

Wots the word on Jonston, is he fit?

FermGael

Quote from: boojangles on May 19, 2009, 01:19:18 PM
Well hopefully all of Fermanagh comes to Breifne on the 6th and more importantly into town after.I havent been out in Cavan in a while but if theres the hope of a few Fermanagh women about I could be tempted.Somethin about the Northern women,there not stuck up their own holes like most Cavan birds.  ;D ;D

Where would you recommend for pre match and apres match pints??
was in the Imperial a month or 2 ago, and the price of drink was serious in it!!!
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Drung

PS Jarlath Burns's article about Down-fermangh last week in Gaelic Life was absolutely spot on. cOULD SOMEONE POST IT HERE?
Wonder what he has to say about Cavan v Fermangh?

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Caid on May 18, 2009, 09:46:56 PM
As a Fermanagh man I would have to be optimstic about our chances and I find it hard to understand how many of the Cavan fans on Hoganstand are optimstic about delivering a couple of point victory?

We all find it hard to understand a lot of the fans on Hoganstand, I wouldn't be too worried.

Both sides have reasons for optimism I think. Fermanagh have performed much better in championship than us of late, but we were effectively mismanaged for the last two/three years so that skews the picture of us a lot. Aside from that, most people further assess Cavan on league form and fair enough, we were patchy and yet when we got our ducks in a row against promotion chasing sides like Down and Ros, we looked half decent. I would have liked promotion at start of year but took a fair few positives out of the campaign all the same. The biggest being that we seem to have a manager that's attuned to the needs of the team, has fucked out a few of the shitehawkers at long long last and reports from training of late are very positive. We're hardly going to win anything this year or anything like that but we are under the radar to a small degree and Fermanagh will have to cope with being favourites too.

So I think we'll give this a right rattle and win by a point or two at home. If we keep the fouling to a minimum and stretch your defence in a way Down woefully faield to do, I think we can win it but it's a very close one to call.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: FermGael on May 19, 2009, 01:29:06 PM

was in the Imperial a month or 2 ago, and the price of drink was serious in it!!!

I'd def recommend the Breffni Inn, Closest pub to the ground and a classy little spot.

cavan4ever

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 19, 2009, 03:37:44 PM

I'd def recommend the Breffni Inn, Closest pub to the ground and a classy little spot.

Thats where the whole Down ones hung about the last time they were up.  Tip into the off-licence and get your drink there and drink it outside. 

boojangles

Quote from: cavan4ever on May 19, 2009, 03:48:34 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 19, 2009, 03:37:44 PM

Thats where the whole Down ones hung about the last time they were up.  Tip into the off-licence and get your drink there and drink it outside. 
The Breifne Inn is no Ritz but its not too bad of a spot these days,if you hear ""here Boss throw us up another there hi"" Id turn on me heels but if the Pikies are away on duty or something,then the Breifne Inn is the closest pub to Kingspan and you could drink outside in the carpark.
Wouldnt go near the Imperial. McGinnitys ( a cousin of the Fermanagh legend) or the Slieve Rossa are both beside the Bus Station and would be lively before the game.10 Mins walk from the ground and cheaper too.

mylestheslasher

It would want to have improved. It is the only pub to get 0 out of 5 twice in pub spy in the Sunday World!

mylestheslasher

There are a couple of reasons Cavan people are a little bit more confident of beating Fermanagh than perhaps they should be..
- Historically we have an excellent record against them, Fermanagh have never beaten us in Ulster. Mentaly that has an effect.
- Fermanagh are not a team to really hammer someone, their games are normally close. Once a game is close you're always in with a shout.
Fermanagh are a more experienced, hardened team with a strong work ethic and are mentally quite strong. I think Cavan might have more naturally gifted footballers but have questionable commitment, work rate and mental strength. If we can match Fermanagh for fight and effort we'll have a decent chance.