Mayo v Roscommon - Connacht SFC Semi-Final, June 20, Venue TBC

Started by RedandGreenSniper, May 13, 2009, 09:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBXII

Quote from: kevmy on June 19, 2009, 04:43:04 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 19, 2009, 03:07:01 PM
John Maughans thoughts on the Match especially for the rossies who worshipped him  ;)

An age old rivalry

Speaking of freshness and youth, I am wondering will Mayo's starting 15 possess enough of these vital ingredients when they line out against a Roscommon team that comes to Castlebar with nothing to lose and everything to play for. Eleven of the 14 outfield players starting tomorrow evening played championship football in 2005. Senior management has continuously highlighted the fact that they were rebuilding a new team and that it would take time. I can understand that, but at the same time I thought that a greater number of Mayo's recent underage players would have graduated to senior football in 2009. There are rumours surrounding an injury crisis of sorts, with quite a few of the Mayo players reportedly carrying knocks of one kind or another. Of these, David Clarke is the most serious and his absence is quite significant. I didn't see Roscommon's victory over Leitrim but did watch the highlights of the game later that night. Carrick on Shannon is a difficult venue at which to win championship matches, and in fairness to Roscommon they came away from that encounter with reputations enhanced. Their morale boosting victory will have them all fired up for the Mayo game and, knowing most of them as I do, I can guarantee they won't roll over and accept defeat easily. Their league performances weren't great but the one thing they have over their opponents coming into this game is the fact that there is no pressure on them whatsoever.

They have, I believe, prepared well for this match, with David Casey lining out at full back in recent training sessions being bombarded with high balls in preparation for a similar onslaught tomorrow. They have a number of good footballers throughout the team, but the one in particular that just might cause problems for Mayo is in fact the son of a former Mayo footballer. Senan Kilbride, whose father lined out for both Mayo and Roscommon, lines out in the full forward line and has bundles of ability. He is a right handful when in possession and Ger Cafferkey will need protection when Senan is on the ball. He has a sweet left peg and can score if given half a chance. Conor Devanney is another who is quick and elusive and could do damage if he was fed the right type of ball. However I expect Keith Higgins to pick him up and he will want to be really sharp to trouble Keith. I fully expect that Roscommon will put it up to Mayo, possibly for 40 minutes, but still would be very surprised if Mayo didn't win by five or six points.

I have to say I don't agree with those parts in bold. While the likes of Keith Higgins, Howley, Kilcoyne and Barry Moran played Championship in and around 05 they either didn't play much or occupy the vital spots some of them do now. The spine of this team is very different that the 04-05-06 team. O'Malley/Clarke, Cafferkey, Howley, McG, Heaney/Parsons, Trevor/Harte, Barry Moran/A O'Sé of those named only McGarrity and maybe Clarke were in those positions in that team.
We've also added depth and a lot of the younger players are challenging for first team spots. The bench could well see McLoughlin, Vaughan, Parsons, Ronaldson, Hennelly and Conroy there along with Conoreen, BJP, Austie and Jimmy Nallen. Add in Cunniffe who's out injured and I'd reckon it's a different team with a stronger and bigger spine and we have more depth.

Completely agree. Maughan  hasn't bothered in the slightest to back this argument up or explain himself in any sort of detail. A nothing article to be honest!

Mayo Mick

By this time tomorrow evening this game will be as good as over. Expect we will be 9/10 pts ahead at H/t and push on to make it 15/16.

Mayo 4-13 Ros 1-6

Nothing to worry about except to avoid injuries
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Barney

Kevmv think you're 100% spot-on.

This petty squabbling that was started by JOM in his Western column and now carried on by JM is ridiculous and both men look stupid out of it.

Tomorrow is the beginning of the latest assessment of the work JOM and his cohorts have carried out - start judgement then. There are some promising signs that we are slowly moving forward.

ross4life

i'm gonna base my prediction on stats (last 10 Mayo v Roscommon games)

ok our last three games played in Mchale park Mayo scored 21,20 & 19 points v us >:( if they repeat this we will have to score at least 20 Points to win (hard to see that)

but by adding up the scores full time score should read...........

Mayo 16 Roscommon 12 :'(

i can see a good start by Mayo, possible early goal but the rossies will fight their way back before half time & Mayo only to pull away in the last 10mins

after that we have the shark infested waters to look forward to (Armagh, Donegal Kerry) ::)

8-)the one hope we have can O Donnell Repeat his success in Castlebar of 2006? here's hoping :P
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mylestheslasher

I think Mayo will win this by 6 to 9 points. Seen Ros v Cavan in the league and they were shocking. Have they shown any form in challenge games recently?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on June 19, 2009, 03:58:47 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 19, 2009, 03:50:59 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 19, 2009, 03:40:33 PM
Quote from: Azzurri on June 18, 2009, 11:23:14 PM

We're gonna win the Sam Maguire,
When we win we'll light the bonfires,
Dreaming dreams of Sam Maguire,
And victory that waits for me.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
And they say we are deluded  :o

don't mind them Rossfan your not deluded,  just bitter and angry  :D

Why would I be ...sure we're always batin Kerry in All Ireland Finals .... ;D ;D ;D

Not ALWAYS, ye didn't manage in 1980 did ye?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

As for tomorrow's game, I think it will either be competitive up to a point with Mayo to pull away in the last 10 minutes or the Rossies could continue their slump in form that has continued since their u-21s defeat with Mayo earlier on in the year. While I myself personally think it will be the former, I also hope it will be that way if Mayo are to be tested out. Ros will be under no real pressure and are underdogs so they have it all to play for, as not much people, even their own are giving them much hope of an upset. As other Mayo supporters have said progress is rolling along slowly. This is a must win game for John O'Mahony however. I predict JOM will be the happier of the 2 managers tomorrow night. Mayo by 5/6.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

letsd face it anything other than a definitive mayo win will be the shick of the season . bigger than antrim beating donegal who were woeful in the league and were getting worse as the year went on. I know mayo only drew with them but since half time in that game the teams have gone in opposite directions. there is no logical reason why Roscommon should be in with a chance
But is the Championship logical?
Hope KOM isnt repeating the mistakes of 2007 Playing the safe option 1st before he has the guts to put out the team he wants in the qualifiers
Mayo by 10
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ross4life

Quote from: rosnarun on June 20, 2009, 02:01:53 AM
letsd face it anything other than a definitive mayo win will be the shick of the season . bigger than antrim beating donegal who were woeful in the league and were getting worse as the year went on. I know mayo only drew with them but since half time in that game the teams have gone in opposite directions. there is no logical reason why Roscommon should be in with a chance
But is the Championship logical?
Hope KOM isnt repeating the mistakes of 2007 Playing the safe option 1st before he has the guts to put out the team he wants in the qualifiers
Mayo by 10

You think mayo will win by 10 points fair enough

But how can you compare the League with the championship? not so long The Rossies where a Div 1 team Beating Galway,kerry,Donegal & Dublin but when it came to the championship we still lost to sligo & leitrim

logical? well sooner or later Roscommon will turn the corner & all it takes is one win

P.S for all your bigger population & greater team it's still only  Mayo 3 Roscommon 2 in All Irelands ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: GBXII on June 19, 2009, 05:13:55 PM
Completely agree. Maughan  hasn't bothered in the slightest to back this argument up or explain himself in any sort of detail. A nothing article to be honest!

I think the question that Maughan is floating is if Johnno is content to have eleven players from the 2005 panel starting, why not make it twelve? But it's the morning of battle now so it might be a debate for another time. Please God the full-forward line will fire as we hope this evening.

Although I see Ladbrokes are quoting the draw at 10/1...

brianboru00

Roscommon have little lose, bar an absolute humiliation. I would predict a comfortable Mayo win of between 3 and 5 points.  Anything closer than that and Roscommwill be in bonus territory. We're two years away from having a competitive team and should be then be cometitive in Division II.
Wouldnt read too much into the Cavan game - an absolute dire performance and an awful lot depends on the fitness of Senan Kilbride.

neilthemac

fcuk the begrudgers, Ros to win by 2 points.  I'm always the eternal optimist. Although we were beaten by Cavan, they have shown they aren't too bad...

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Carmen Stateside