Mayo v Roscommon - Connacht SFC Semi-Final, June 20, Venue TBC

Started by RedandGreenSniper, May 13, 2009, 09:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Rossfan on June 21, 2009, 08:45:36 PM
Quote from: mannix on June 21, 2009, 02:12:17 PM
azzuri is probably right, the players are not there. .

Absolutely true. We have damn all in the over 21 age bracket .

My Gettysburg speech  ::) last week didnt work yesterday as we went out playing Div 3 League football against a big strong mobile team playing intense Championship football.

We're down now but will rise in time...however we are talking 2012 at least before we'll have these green shoots. I just hope that some good young lads dont fall by the wayside along the way.
Most of the Mayo posters ( with a few dishonourable exceptions) have been kind in their remarks when they could have had a field day. Thanks lads.
However calls for apologies to Maughtan are wide of the mark.

I was talking to some of the management team last night but really can't remember what they were saying as much porter was consumed(by me !!).
I suppose we'll now draw  the winners of Monaghan/Armagh.

In fairness Rossfan most of the mayo lads are genuine football supporters and we have been through enough of the same pain that roscommon suffered on saturday so we know better than to gloat. As you said it will take a few years for roscommon to rebuild but hopefully ye will because we all need connacht to be as competetive as possible. aS for the result on saturday its hard to know where we stand , we were clinical with our finishing on saturday especially the 1st 20 minutes where we put roscommon out of reach . we lorded it at midfield but i could not understand why the roscommon goalie didn't try and vary his kickout he kept hitting it down the middle and it was coming back as quick as he was hitting it out. As other posters said our backs weren't really tested, all thats left to say is that we bet sligo last year fairly handily and looked what happened against galway so i don't think anyone will be running away with themselves thinking the connact is ours . As bertie said there is a lot done ,  a lot more to do ( thats especially for you Rossafan  ;)  :D )
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on June 22, 2009, 05:22:26 PM

our experience players are our main problem  no leaders & simply not good enough!

As the boys on Shannonside were saying this evening ..10 or 15 years of not being competitive at underage has led to that situation. As for leadership ... 2 successive army managers was never going to allow anything like that to develop. ::)
We have to face the Qualifiers with a bit of pride and no matter who we get .
The lads owe it to themselves first and foremost and to the management and supporters to wear that primrose jersey as a badge of honour and pride in who we are and where we  come from.
If another walloping is the end result so what...let it be a learning curve for both players and management.
Look at how McGeeney approached things after Kildare lost to Wicklow . He said the management needed to look at themselves too and how they did things too and they havent been doing too bad since.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Just going back to that u-21 game, which I wasn't at incidentally between Mayo and Ros, it seemed to set Roscommon back big time. They had been doing well in the league up till then and were unlucky that the ref played on for so long that day too. Then afterwards, they seemed to go into freefall, they managed to beat Leitrim, who were struggling with missing players and lost Emlyn Mulligan through injury and had to do lots of reshuffling. It's easy saying it now, but that U-21 game could prove to be the turning point in Roscommon's year yet. Or, they can pick themselves up and have a good look at themselves and start to prepare for the next backdoor game in 3 weeks.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rudi

In an ideal world, O Donnell would have taken the u21s on instead of the senior squad. Seven players were discarded by the commencement of the Maughan era and seven more were felt isolated by the changes. I can see why the changes were done, however at this point some 3.5 years down the line these changes have back fired big time. Maughan should however not be blamed for all the ills of Roscommon football as pointed out earlier we were uncompetive in Connacht football both at minor and u21 level in the mid to late nineties and up until 2004.

Mayo despite the opposition were truly excellent on Saturday, they looked big, tall, mobile, fast, determined, skillful and well drilled, I sincerely hope they go on an win an All Ireland this year their mostly superb supporters who were gracious in victory the last evening deserve it.

Good luck and hopefully soon the Rossies will be giving Mayo good hard tight games again.

mayo51

good post farrandellin. I think you hit the nail on the head as regards the u 21 game.this was the game that ros were building for all year and this loss was a devasting  blow to them. there will be better days for ros in the future as they seem to be doing  good work with there underage structure but they must be competitive in there next qualifer game to give at least some hope for next year.

rosnarun

Quote from: mayo51 on June 22, 2009, 10:31:51 PM
good post farrandellin. I think you hit the nail on the head as regards the u 21 game.this was the game that ros were building for all year and this loss was a devasting  blow to them. there will be better days for ros in the future as they seem to be doing  good work with there underage structure but they must be competitive in there next qualifer game to give at least some hope for next year.
True that . I never saw ross as comfident as going into that game and in fairness seened to have the better individuals on the day , but mayo put in a hell of a performace esp a lot of the like cathal carolan who will probably never play for the seniors.
Back to Barry moran while he looked poor in the second half , while the game need to be one he was excellent at the role he was selected for . A  big target man, and caused an awful lot of the loose ball that A se and Kilcoyne profited from. of course he didnt look as good as Aidan o sé but not many do. I would be slow to drop him as the line up has given mayo a shape and they seem to know how to use it . Id be more worried about how often ross got clear shot on the mayo goal where Omalley was outstanding
Tinkering at this stage would only serve to put mayo back to square one.
Lets build on last sunday , Despite what you think of the opposition mayo still had to do they  business and the did it very well.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

The flame still burns

Tatler Jack

QuoteDespite what you think of the opposition mayo still had to do they  business and the did it very well.

Agree. This was a very impressive Mayo performance throughout the game. Even when the game was long won the defence was working hard not giving up any soft scores, the forwards were  still hungry  for scores there was still shape and discpline in the team regardless of substitutions. Looked a serious outfit to me. Really impressed with the pace and power - while Ros may lack physical presence they Mayo players just swatted them aside.

I see no reason why Mayo won't be in the shake up for AI honours.  When one looks at their panel they have strength in depth, plenty of experience plus plenty of leaders. I tipped them to wiin the AI a while back on this board and see no reason to change.

As for Roscommon well the point has been made that the process of building a team after a period of poor under age results up to 06 and the fall out of 03 cleanout will be long and difficult. We are woefully short of experience and confidence and in particular a physical presence at FB, CHB and midfield. Nevertheless we have had encouraging results at under age since '06 and given time we can become competitive in Connacht again - but it will be 2011 or 2012.

Thanks to the Mayo posters here who have been largely gracious - as I would expect from the county. I think ye will have an enjoyable year. Go ahead with the City West bookings. Stephenite you better be booking your ticket!!

RedandGreenSniper

Will someone start a Connacht final thread? I was told I acted out of turn starting this thread :P
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Farrandeelin

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 23, 2009, 10:15:36 PM
Will someone start a Connacht final thread? I was told I acted out of turn starting this thread :P

Barney gave out to me once before for starting a thread!!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 23, 2009, 10:25:11 PM

Does the fact that he's now married mean he has more or less time to be starting threads??
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

rosnarun

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 23, 2009, 10:45:03 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 23, 2009, 10:25:11 PM

Does the fact that he's now married mean he has more or less time to be starting threads??
hasnt done his humour much good , has no one the courage
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Barney

Quotehasnt done his humour much good

I'm smiling inside Ros