Mayo v Roscommon - Connacht SFC Semi-Final, June 20, Venue TBC

Started by RedandGreenSniper, May 13, 2009, 09:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDanger

Quote from: moysider on June 18, 2009, 02:08:48 AM
Quote from: MacDanger on June 18, 2009, 01:23:14 AM
Not saying we have any proven scorers on the bench either but Dillon is the only one of the 6 that would fall into that category. Hopefuly we'll be classifying AO'S in that bracket too by the end of the season.

Don't agree re Parsons, his fielding of the ball is biggest asset I reckon. Wouldn't see him as an natural CHF. Have you ever seen him play at CHF?

Look Tyrone would not have won last years AI if Mickey Harte did nt have that cop to realise that Sean Kavanagh was nt born with 9 tattooed on his arse. And in 04 he delegated McAnallen to cover full back. I m not just saying it now. Parsons should have been developed as 11 earlier. Time we realised that there s more to the game than catching kickouts.

Anybody notice the carnage Pierce O Neill caused last few weeks v Kerry. Parsons has more to his game.

Tyrone would not have won last years AI if Tom Parsons had't missed a sitter from 30 yards into the Hill 16 end also!!! Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

I agree though with you to a certain extent about Parsons' high fielding, he has a tendancy to keep trying to catch it even when the opposition are punching it.

I'd like to see one/two free takers only on Sunday, I think 6 different lads (Mort/Dillon/A O'S/Andy M/Austie/Harte) had a go against Tyrone in the league with varying success. We haven't had a reliable free taker since Sheridan, we (most teams indeed) probably miss 2-4 kickable frees/game - this should have been addressed.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on June 18, 2009, 09:34:48 PM
What an awe inspiring list of supeRosmen ( 1 or 2 maybe not  :-\ ) who go to the dark land to try and slay the evil rhubarb monster.
In the name of the dead generations of Rosmen who fought and died that we might be free of evil monsters  Ros summons her gossoons to her righteous cause.
Remember the great heritage ye have inherited.
Let's do it for Queen Maeve,Niall of the 9 hostages, Saints Eithne and Fidelma, St Coman,St Croan,St Faithleach,St Michael,St Ronan,Ned Duffy, The O'Connor kings of Ireland, Douglas Hyde,Percy French,the 42 who died for Ireland and Freedom and of course Uachtarán na hEireann herself.
Remember 43 and 44 and famous days in Castlebar like 52 , 72,79 and 86.
Remember O'Malley,Lindsay,Earley,Tony Mc,Jigger and most of all Harry Keegan. When ye see a Mayoman coming through with the ball ask yourself " What would Harry Keegan do?"
He'd drive man and ball half way to bloody Belmullet so do the same and ye can win the day.

We WILL BATE them in Castlebar and won't we  be the proud buckos as we hit the first Ros town we meet on the way home ....BALLAGHADEREEN.... to drink a few pints of porter and  then piss in Durkans.

Seriously, how on Earth did God give us neighbours like these???
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Azzurri

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 18, 2009, 10:51:33 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 18, 2009, 09:34:48 PM
What an awe inspiring list of supeRosmen ( 1 or 2 maybe not  :-\ ) who go to the dark land to try and slay the evil rhubarb monster.
In the name of the dead generations of Rosmen who fought and died that we might be free of evil monsters  Ros summons her gossoons to her righteous cause.
Remember the great heritage ye have inherited.
Let's do it for Queen Maeve,Niall of the 9 hostages, Saints Eithne and Fidelma, St Coman,St Croan,St Faithleach,St Michael,St Ronan,Ned Duffy, The O'Connor kings of Ireland, Douglas Hyde,Percy French,the 42 who died for Ireland and Freedom and of course Uachtarán na hEireann herself.
Remember 43 and 44 and famous days in Castlebar like 52 , 72,79 and 86.
Remember O'Malley,Lindsay,Earley,Tony Mc,Jigger and most of all Harry Keegan. When ye see a Mayoman coming through with the ball ask yourself " What would Harry Keegan do?"
He'd drive man and ball half way to bloody Belmullet so do the same and ye can win the day.

We WILL BATE them in Castlebar and won't we  be the proud buckos as we hit the first Ros town we meet on the way home ....BALLAGHADEREEN.... to drink a few pints of porter and  then piss in Durkans.

Seriously, how on Earth did God give us neighbours like these???

Seriously how on Earth did God give us neighbours like these???

To the tune of Show Me The Way to Amarillo

Sha lala lala lala la (Ma-yo!)
Sha lala lala lala la......

On a warm May morning,
Mayo heard that London were calling,
Seamus Moore was singing,
Mayo's year was only beginning.
Then we beat poor Leitrim (la la la la laaa)
We weren't very good (la la la la laaa)
But when we played the Tribesmen,
We played like champions should!
> > > >

We're gonna win the Sam Maguire,
When we win we'll light the bonfires,
Dreaming dreams of Sam Maguire,
And victory that waits for me.

In the quarter-finals,
Mick O'Dwyer's Laois were our rivals,
15-all the first day,
But we won by 3 in the replay,
We were in the semis (la la la la laaa)
Agin' the team in Blue (la la la la laaa)
The meeja had a field day,
Sayin' we were gonna lose!
> > > >

When we win we'll light the bonfires,
Cos victory awaits for me.
> > > >

From Kiltimagh to Charlestown,
They came to Croker to see the Big Showdown,
Mickey had a mission,
Thank god it didn't involve a dietician.
In the greatest contest (la la la la laaa),
Croke Park's ever seen (la la la la laaa),
The Dubs were overpowered,
By the men in Red and Green!
> > > >

When we do we'll light the bonfires,

We have Jimmy Nallen,
Chip off the old block Billy-Joe Padden,
And of course McDanger,
Was he the one that was born in the manger?
Heaney leads the back line (la la la la laaaa)

> > > > Kerry won't break through (la la la la laaaa)
> > > > And David Clarke will stop them,
> > > > Even if they doooo-oooo!
> > > >

When we do we'll light the bonfires,

Sha lalal lala lala la,

All Ireland day is dawning,
Make sure to pray that Sunday morning,
For our team of heroes,
That flushed the jacks and made them zeroes.
All across the county (la la la la laaa),
A sea of red and green (la la la la laaa),
This mayo team is magic,
The best we've ever see-eeen!

When we win we'll light a bonfires,

moysider

Quote from: laoisgaa on June 18, 2009, 09:03:12 PM

1. Geoffrey Claffey Geoffraí Mac Liathimh Caisléan Riabhach
2. Peter Domican  Peadar Ó Domgháin  Naomh Bríd
3. John Nolan  Seán Ó Nualláin  Gaeil Ros Comáin
4. Paul Kelly  Pól Ó Ceallaigh  Na Piarsaigh
5. Sean McDermott Seán Mac Diarmada  Gaeil an Iarthair
6. David Flynn  Dáithí Ó Floinn  Clann na nGael
7. David Casey  Dáithí Ó Cathasaigh  Mainistir na Buile
8. Michael Finneran Mícheál Ó Finnthírn  Naomh Dominic
9. Brian Higgins  Brian Ó hUiginn  Ail Finn
10. Gary Cox (C)  Gearoid Mac an Choiligh Naomh Faithleach
11. Karol Mannion  Karol Ó Mainnín  Naomh Bríd
12. Donal Shine  Donal Ó Seighin  Clann na nGael
13. Conor Devaney  Conchúir Ó Dubhánaigh Cill Bhríde
14. Senan Kilbride  Seanán Mac Giolla Bhríde Naomh Bríd
15. John Dunning  Seán Ó Dúinín   Clann na nGael

SUBS
Ronan O'Reilly  Rónán Ó Raghallaigh  Clann na nGael
Padraig Duignan  Pádraig Ó Duígeannáin Caisléan Riabhach
Cathal McHugh  Cathal MacAodha  Naomh Bríd
Fintan Cregg  Fiontán de Creag  Ail Finn
Paul Gleeson  Pól Ó Gliasáin   Gaeil Ros Comáin
Kevin Higgins  Caoimhín Ó hUiginn  Gaeil an Iarthair
Sean Purcell  Seán Ó Puirséil  Mainistir na Buile
James McKeague Séamas MacThaidhg  Na Cregga
David O'Gara  Dáithí Ó Gadhra  Gaeil Ros Comáin
Derek Connellan Deiric Ó Connalláin  Cill Mór
Damien Keenehan Damien Ó Cíonnacháin Mainistir na Buile
Colm Garvey  Colm Ó Gairbhith  Cill Mór
Robert Gaynor  Roibeard Mag Fhionnbhairr Gaeil Ros Comáin
Ronan Brady  Rónán Ó Brádaigh  Ail Finn
Paul Freeman  Pól Mac an tSaoir  Éire Óg

That s not a bad looking Roscommon side. Would be better if Ger Heneghan was still available. Conor Devaney is a livewire but I m not a fan of Shine. Surprised Kevin Higgins not a starter from what I saw him do in Charlestown in U21.

We should have a distinct advantage in the middle. There should be question marks about some of their defenders pace and indeed the overall pace of the team. Mayo have to move the ball early and quickly. Quick frees and line balls everywhere except scorable ones. If that does nt happen I ll be raging. Our enemy the next day is slow play. If we keep the tempo high we should break them down with something to spare in last quarter.

stephenite

Another Mayo blogger with a slightly different take on the famous old rivalry

http://spailpin.blogspot.com/

Barney

Prediction Time -

Mayo 2-9 Ros 0-13

A good game, with a strong performance by the Rossies who will go on and reach Round 4 of the Qualifiers.

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo 2-10, Roscommon 1-9. Harte to get the first goal of the game.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

heineken_on_tap

Ros 1-12 , Mayo 1-10.

A good game, with a strong performance by the Mayoies who will go on and reach the AI final.

dodo

An encouraging hard working, hard tackling performance by the Ross

Mayo 2-13 Them 0-11

kevmy

O'Sé to score 1-2 and wake up Sunday morning the talk of the GAA world.

Us 2-12   Sheepstealers 0-12

GBXII

Think that full forward line is gona do damage!!

Mayo 3-11  Roscommon 1-10 :)

Azzurri

Heart says we can do it.
Head say not a hope.

Mayo 2-12 Roscommon 1-11

Hope I'm wrong!

Tubberman

I'd say a 5 point win for Mayo, and I can see us getting a goal as well with the twin towers in the FF line

Mayo 1-11 Ros 0-9

Heading west as soon as I can sneak out of here. Love heading home for a big match; and the sun is even shining  ;D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Turlough O Carolan

Think this one will end level, like Johno's last two games against Ros in Castlebar (89 and 91). Would dearly love to get a victory there as it has been a graveyard for Ros football since 1992 - the 2006 minors nothwithstanding. Was fortunate enough to be there to see Tony Mac's great goal in 86 and Derek Duggan's miraculous free into the wind in 91. Was there in 92 when Enon Gavin pulled down the crossbar. The ball was hopping over the bar as he did so, and Mayo scored another point quickly after they fixed it to go 2 or 3, I think, in front. Turned the game. Thirty years earlier when the Ros goalie brought down the crossbar in Castlebar, Galway were 5 in front and coasting to victory, but the delay allowed the great Gerry O'Malley to inspire Ros to a famous victory. Realistically we should have no chance tomorrow. The team is young and inexperienced, was jittery in Division 3, and I am worried that we have no one in the full back line to combat the height and power of Moran and O'Shea. But when you see that we have players like Kevin Higgins, Fintan Cregg and David O'Gara (all talented minors from 06) on the bench, all who take a point, then we are not without hope. We've gone there in hope before and got hockeyed and drove back over the border at Carracastle with our tails between our legs. But expectations are low this time, no pressure is on the team, the supporters will allow Fergal O'Donnell time to build because he has always been one of the true gents of the game and has already brought a great measure of pride back to our county. I think it will be a fast open game. Ros to get parity with Mayo in midfield and match them on the scoreboard and bring it back to the Hyde. Scoreline something like: Mayo 2-10 Ros 1-13.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Tubberman on June 19, 2009, 01:02:51 PM
I'd say a 5 point win for Mayo, and I can see us getting a goal as well with the twin towers in the FF line

Mayo 1-11 Ros 0-9

Heading west as soon as I can sneak out of here. Love heading home for a big match; and the sun is even shining  ;D

I think Mayo are 10/11 @ -4 points on Sunday.

Great bet really as id say we should win by more.