Mayo v Roscommon - Connacht SFC Semi-Final, June 20, Venue TBC

Started by RedandGreenSniper, May 13, 2009, 09:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Nearly half the Mayo team are out with groin strains, favorite Mayo pass time is coming home to haunt teams preparations.  ;D.

REDCOL

Connaught Senior Football Championship

Foireann Sinsir Mhaigh Eó in aghaidh Ros Comáin

í Pairc MacÉil, Caisléan an Bharraigh

On Sat 20 Jun 2009

1       Kenneth O'Malley                                             Ballinrobe                                   

2       Liam O'Malley                                                     Burrishoole                                 

3       Ger Cafferkey                                                     Ballina                                         

4       Keith Higgins                                                     Ballyhaunis                                 

5       Peadar Gardiner                                                Crossmolina                               

6       Trevor Howley                                                   Knockmore                                 

7       Andy Moran                                                        Ballaghaderreen                       

8       David Heaney                                                    Swinford                                     

9       Ronan McGarrity                                               Ballina                                         

10     Patrick Harte                                                      Ballina                                         

11     Trevor Mortimer                                                 Shrule-Glencorrib                     

12     Alan Dillon                                                          Ballintubber                               

13     Aidan Kilcoyne                                                  Knockmore                                 

14     Barry Moran                                                       Castlebar                                     

15     Aidan O'Shea                                                     Breaffy                                         

Duine Eile

No Conor? What's going on there? No big fan of him but surely he'd be one of Mayo's best forwards?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: REDCOL on June 17, 2009, 09:21:51 PM
I am worried now

Me too, Heaney at midfield. Honest to God, didn't expect that one. Don't think anyone did. It's a wonder Nallen wasn't parachuted in as well. No place for McLoughlin or Conor, Kilcoyne at no 13 ??? And I thought Andy Moran experiment at wing back was over.

Are you O'Mahony Flame still burns?? ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

IolarCoisCuain

It's certainly not the Mayo team we were quite expecting. Most of the changes make sense from what we've heard during the week but Kilcoyne in for Conor is not one many people saw coming. Please God it'll go well for him.

The flame still burns

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 17, 2009, 09:27:17 PM
Quote from: REDCOL on June 17, 2009, 09:21:51 PM
I am worried now

Me too, Heaney at midfield. Honest to God, didn't expect that one. Don't think anyone did. It's a wonder Nallen wasn't parachuted in as well. No place for McLoughlin or Conor, Kilcoyne at no 13 ??? And I thought Andy Moran experiment at wing back was over.

Are you O'Mahony Flame still burns?? ;)

Ha ha looks that way doesn't it!! Can't believe I got as many right as I did. Just had heard a few things to be honest. Analysis of the selection on my blog here http://thereisalightthatnevergoesout.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/14-out-of-15-aint-bad/

RedandGreenSniper

Interesting team that. I had heard Parsons was under pressure but still thought he'd make it. Its shit or get off the pot time for Killer. Barry Moran hasn't been moving brilliantly either. Hopefully we'll be reflecting on Johnno's genius on Saturday night.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Fair play to The Flame, he fairly nailed that team. In the light of(no pun intended) his tip offs there are no real surprises. A shock would have been Mikey Sweeney or Barry Kelly starting. Not sure what to make of it and I would nt rule out changes before throw in. I mean there must be still a doubt about O Malley in the corner. Careless that Aiden Higgins not around to cover here. Again we go into the championship with 6 defenders who are all more comfortable in halfback line. Maybe all counties have this?

Harte may well start midfield( or swap later) with Heaney going back and Andy playing a mixem gatherem role about the field and Killer playin wing with towers inside. There s loads of possibilities.

If Parsons demise is down to lack of form it s very disappointing, worrying even. How does that happen? Maybe Sligonian has been practicing some strange voodoo from afar.

Backs people will be amazed how Killer can make the team and KMcL cant. Most would have the latter even as a forward. But good luck to Kilcoyne the next day.

Delighted Heaney is in from the start. He s been class for 12 years and its reassuring that his form is still good enough that he still demands selection.

RedandGreenSniper

Have to agree with you Moy on Aidan Higgins. Simply wrong that he's not involved. As for Parsons I had heard somewhere, Mayo News maybe?, that he had a groin injury. I wonder is this related to it? Kilcoyne is the big call. Really looking forward to the game now, it always feels just around the corner once the team has been picked.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

MacDanger

A lot of questions about that team for me.

Only one proven scorer at this level - Dillon.

Two good wing backs but I wouldn't consider either as good at defending - would play McL (or A Higgins) there before either of them.

Who's going to do the work in midfield with McG and Heaney playing together.

Really looking forward to seeing AO'S making his senior championship debut.

Should be good enough to win at home to a Rossie team on the up but still finished mid-table in Div 3.

Mayo by 3/4

Anybody know how P Hanley is getting on in Oz?

How's A Campbell getting on with Swinford this year? Good enough to be making the county squad/team?

moysider

Quote from: MacDanger on June 18, 2009, 12:13:53 AM
A lot of questions about that team for me.

Only one proven scorer at this level - Dillon.
Two good wing backs but I wouldn't consider either as good at defending - would play McL (or A Higgins) there before either of them.

Who's going to do the work in midfield with McG and Heaney playing together.

Really looking forward to seeing AO'S making his senior championship debut.

Should be good enough to win at home to a Rossie team on the up but still finished mid-table in Div 3.

Mayo by 3/4

Anybody know how P Hanley is getting on in Oz?

How's A Campbell getting on with Swinford this year? Good enough to be making the county squad/team?

Not sure about the proven scorer thing. Who in the squad is a 'proven scorer' that s not picked?

As regards the Heaney and McGar midfield selection? I ll beg the question. What midfield selection would have balanced out with workrate? Of the choice between Parsons and McGar, the latter has clearly more appreciation of covering back. Parsons is a great attacking player. Anyway its been a bit obvious for years that Parsons should have been developed as an 11. Cant believe some people still cant see that. We needed that and he needed that. If Hanley was around people would expect him to be playing 11. But Parsons has more to be an 11.

MacDanger

Not saying we have any proven scorers on the bench either but Dillon is the only one of the 6 that would fall into that category. Hopefuly we'll be classifying AO'S in that bracket too by the end of the season.

Don't agree re Parsons, his fielding of the ball is biggest asset I reckon. Wouldn't see him as an natural CHF. Have you ever seen him play at CHF?

moysider

Quote from: MacDanger on June 18, 2009, 01:23:14 AM
Not saying we have any proven scorers on the bench either but Dillon is the only one of the 6 that would fall into that category. Hopefuly we'll be classifying AO'S in that bracket too by the end of the season.

Don't agree re Parsons, his fielding of the ball is biggest asset I reckon. Wouldn't see him as an natural CHF. Have you ever seen him play at CHF?

People have to forget about this fielding lark. Parsons fielding abilty is not the most important part of his game. His ability to move, see and link and finish much more importand than catching a bloody kickout. He s one of the best athletes to come along in some time. Plus he can play - but most people just see Paul O Connell. He s not suited to that S**t and I m not surprised his form has slumped. I remember him fracturing his leg as a minor in salthill in a kickout ruck. He was the only one to try and catch the ball. To hell with that. Time to move on. A feature of Charlestown is how Tiernan can hold and graft while Parsons instigates the attacks.

Look Tyrone would not have won last years AI if Mickey Harte did nt have that cop to realise that Sean Kavanagh was nt born with 9 tattooed on his arse. And in 04 he delegated McAnallen to cover full back. I m not just saying it now. Parsons should have been developed as 11 earlier. Time we realised that there s more to the game than catching kickouts.

Anybody notice the carnage Pierce O Neill caused last few weeks v Kerry. Parsons has more to his game.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: moysider on June 17, 2009, 11:19:13 PM
Fair play to The Flame, he fairly nailed that team. In the light of(no pun intended) his tip offs there are no real surprises. A shock would have been Mikey Sweeney or Barry Kelly starting. Not sure what to make of it and I would nt rule out changes before throw in. I mean there must be still a doubt about O Malley in the corner. Careless that Aiden Higgins not around to cover here. Again we go into the championship with 6 defenders who are all more comfortable in halfback line. Maybe all counties have this?

Harte may well start midfield( or swap later) with Heaney going back and Andy playing a mixem gatherem role about the field and Killer playin wing with towers inside. There s loads of possibilities.

If Parsons demise is down to lack of form it s very disappointing, worrying even. How does that happen? Maybe Sligonian has been practicing some strange voodoo from afar.

Backs people will be amazed how Killer can make the team and KMcL cant. Most would have the latter even as a forward. But good luck to Kilcoyne the next day.

Delighted Heaney is in from the start. He s been class for 12 years and its reassuring that his form is still good enough that he still demands selection.

Its called Karma, nothing to do with me. Im over it believe or not.

On another note this might be bogey team, in the sense dont be suprised to hear there are 2 changes to the mayo team before the throw in. Just putting it out there.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"