Christy Ring 09

Started by stevecw, May 06, 2009, 12:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Great win for Mayo hurlers today - not a result that was expected. Think they now play Carlow in the semi-final. Would winning the Christy Ring Cup be a bad thing - the hidings that they'd get next year? I'd presume so. But hard to see them being good enough for Carlow or Down.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stevecw

Well done to Mayo, really great result. I saw Kildare last week and was impressed even though they lost to Carlow. So Mayo must have played really well.

The semi finals are :
Carlow v Kerry
Down v Mayo.
They take place on june 6th, but no venues announced yet.

mountainboii

I see Westmeath had an enormous win over Wicklow in the Relegation playoff. Finished 1-6 to 3-36.

Where were they hiding this form earlier on? Could it be that, since there was no promotion to the McCarthy, Westmeath weren't bothered trying to win the Christy Ring this year, and only pulled out the stops to avoid relegation? You don't just pull a 36 point win out of the bag :-\

Lecale2

There is promotion from Christy Ring this year I believe. There's no doubt Westmeath under-performed though.

highking

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 24, 2009, 12:39:37 AM
Great win for Mayo hurlers today - not a result that was expected. Think they now play Carlow in the semi-final. Would winning the Christy Ring Cup be a bad thing - the hidings that they'd get next year? I'd presume so. But hard to see them being good enough for Carlow or Down.

It was hard to see them being good enough for Westmeath, Kildare this year and Carlow last year, but this team are able for it. Westmeath lost to Wexford by four points and drew with Antrim this year. Mayo beat Westmeath by 0-11. I don't think they would be that far out of their depth if they won the CR Cup. No further out of their depth than whichever team does actually win it. However, your views would be similar to some of our CB officers who wouldn't like the hastle of getting involved in a McCarthy Cup campaign. Great to see Keith Higgins choosing the hurlers this weekend, and also Cathal Freeman coming on and scoring 0-5 from play. Two brilliant dual stars of the GAA.

Mayo play Down now on Saturday 6th June. Good crowd expected to travel to this game from Mayo, as was there last Saturday. Will you be going R&G sniper?

westmayo

Was at the Mayo v Kildare game yesterday, good afternoon of entertainment and good performance from Mayo. The fact the game was switched from Athleague to Kiltoom at short notice was the only down side, but thanks to the couple of friendly lads from Ross, they let me know it had been switched. Cathal Freeman was the real star of the show for Mayo, came on just before half time and hit five wonderful points from play.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: highking on May 24, 2009, 02:50:58 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 24, 2009, 12:39:37 AM

It was hard to see them being good enough for Westmeath, Kildare this year and Carlow last year, but this team are able for it. Westmeath lost to Wexford by four points and drew with Antrim this year. Mayo beat Westmeath by 0-11. I don't think they would be that far out of their depth if they won the CR Cup. No further out of their depth than whichever team does actually win it. However, your views would be similar to some of our CB officers who wouldn't like the hastle of getting involved in a McCarthy Cup campaign. Great to see Keith Higgins choosing the hurlers this weekend, and also Cathal Freeman coming on and scoring 0-5 from play. Two brilliant dual stars of the GAA.

Mayo play Down now on Saturday 6th June. Good crowd expected to travel to this game from Mayo, as was there last Saturday. Will you be going R&G sniper?

You seem to think I hope they don't win highking. I'm merely asking what I feel is an obvious question as someone who isn't in the hurling loop. I had hoped to go to the game yesterday but work stopped me. It might stop me going to the Down game too. I hope to go though.
If they were to win it what would happen re the McCarthy Cup? Would they go into Leinster?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Cosmo Kramer

Great win for Mayo yesterday.

Am i right in thinking that the winners of the CR cup this year have to playoff against a Liam McCarthy team (someone like Laois) for the right to play full All-Ireland hurling next year?

Its a long way off yet, but I'm guessing that nobody on the organising committees has considered the idea of Mayo being in the championship when they decided to put Galway in Leinster.

If it happened, presumably Mayo would have to go into Leinster as well, as there would be nowhere else for them to go.

Down up next will be tougher though, looking at the results so far, Down and Carlow look a little better than the others in the CR this year to date.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

slow corner back

As far as I understand it there is a play off this year again between the christy ring winners and the lowest team in the Liam McCarthy ( Laois or Antrim usually). Also as far as I am aware whichever team wins the Christy Ring and then the pay off goes into the Leinster championship whether it is Carlow, Mayo, Down or possibly even Kerry. Now that would be ridiculous if Kerry ended up in Leinster.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AFS on May 24, 2009, 03:07:44 AM
I see Westmeath had an enormous win over Wicklow in the Relegation playoff. Finished 1-6 to 3-36.

Where were they hiding this form earlier on? Could it be that, since there was no promotion to the McCarthy, Westmeath weren't bothered trying to win the Christy Ring this year, and only pulled out the stops to avoid relegation? You don't just pull a 36 point win out of the bag :-\

The poor showings were more to do with injuries than antipathy towards the Christy Ring. I think they concentrated their efforts more against playing the big guns in the League than the Christy Ring though...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

INDIANA

Since their was no promotion  I'd say westmeath didn't give a joe lollox about the Christy Ring. Can't blame them. they've won it twice- where's the incentive.

Lecale2

I think there is promotion this year.

stevecw

Quote from: INDIANA on May 25, 2009, 06:08:02 PM
Since their was no promotion  I'd say westmeath didn't give a joe lollox about the Christy Ring. Can't blame them. they've won it twice- where's the incentive.

There is promotion this year. A play off against bottom Liam McCarthy team (most likely Laois) for the CR cup winners. Win that and the CR winners are promoted. Westmeath already beat them in the league. So there was plenty of incentive.

Plus the fact that they lost the final last year to Carlow, should be incentive enough for them to try win it back.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on May 24, 2009, 04:05:24 PM
Great win for Mayo yesterday.

Am i right in thinking that the winners of the CR cup this year have to playoff against a Liam McCarthy team (someone like Laois) for the right to play full All-Ireland hurling next year?

Its a long way off yet, but I'm guessing that nobody on the organising committees has considered the idea of Mayo being in the championship when they decided to put Galway in Leinster.

If it happened, presumably Mayo would have to go into Leinster as well, as there would be nowhere else for them to go.

Down up next will be tougher though, looking at the results so far, Down and Carlow look a little better than the others in the CR this year to date.

Somehow I think they will be ok for another year with Galway in Leinster. ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Barney

What kind of crowds go to these Mayo games?

Newry is a serious trip for any green and red supporter. It would be brilliant to see the lads finish the job off. Could you imagine the double bill in Croker next Summer - Mayo v Kilkenny, and Mayo v Kerry, All ireland Quarter Finals!