Doire v Mhuineacháin 24/5/09

Started by Oakleafer93, April 27, 2009, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 27, 2009, 04:42:46 PM
After all the controversy Monaghan are putting out a less aggressive side for the qualifiers:
Probable Monaghan team for the qualifiers

Player (Club side)

Darth Vader (Death star)

G. Bush Sr (NRA)
Martin johnson ( Tir Chonnail gaels)
Ricky Hatton (Manchester Gaels)

G. Bush Jr (NRA)
Hunter Hearst Helmsley (WWF Rangers)
paul gascoine (AA)

Roy Keane (Langer GFC)
Steve Collins (St Saviours GFC)

Sauron (St. Mordors)
O. Bin Laden (leading the attack - naturally)
Joe o'reilly (Joy 'Gaels')

The Undertaker (Castleblaney faughs)
Davy tweed (Balymena assassins)
Rory woods (scotstown)
;)

HHH would have to be full forward - he's got a nose for goal

Armamike

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 27, 2009, 10:44:14 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 27, 2009, 10:04:35 PM
Really? You're saying that better teams than Monaghan wouldn't adopt this 'thuggery'. But Derry did. Therefore, by your argument, they aren't a better team than Monaghan.

Ah, I get it. A very twisted and ultimately flawed logic. You left out the important gambit "against Derry" from your post, which should now read "You're saying that better teams than Monaghan wouldn't adopt this 'thuggery' against Derry. But Derry did.". Derry didn't adopt this thuggery against Derry, that is physically impossible and negates any point you're trying to make.

Better teams than Monaghan, like those I outlined above haven't adopted Monaghan-esque thuggery against Derry. If Derry were to play against any of those, the Oakleafers would be fairly safe to assume that Dublin, Kerry, Galway etc. will attempt to play football. If Derry were to play Monaghan again, it is an even safer assumption that Monaghan will revert to the disgraceful tactics honed under the McEnaney / McElkennon axis. Derry will play football in the correct spirit when it is possible (there is nothing in Cass's CV to suggest otherwise); if referees and the GAA hierarchy do not protect them against Monaghan, then they are entitled, as they did on Sunday, to ensure that they create the circumstances allowing pure football to be played.
In such circumstances,they will prove that they are indeed a much better side than the Farneymen.

Hope this helps.

By kicking and retaliating?  Really good sides are fairly adept at spotting flaws in the opposition. The likes of Doherty are too easily wound up. The better teams will take note and exploit that, if they have to.
That's just, like your opinion man.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 27, 2009, 07:23:11 PM
Rory woods (scotstown)
;)
Rory Woods isn't Scotstown.
[/quote]
I know
the whole post was meant to be somewhat of a joke !

the green man

Quote from: Armamike on May 27, 2009, 11:24:25 PM
The likes of Doherty are too easily wound up. The better teams will take note and exploit that, if they have to.

That could swing both ways. The officials will probably keep a closer eye on fergal now, so anyone niggling at him will be seen too.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Armamike on May 27, 2009, 06:09:54 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 27, 2009, 05:41:53 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 27, 2009, 05:35:19 PM
That's not funny Lynchboy. ;D
You know what would be funny, us getting a home draw against Derry in the 2nd round of the qualifiers.
But if Derry will find that pot of pure football at the end of the rainbow then
any team travelling to face us  better have a few toilets on their coach.
the manager has to sort that kind of reaction/retaliation out of the Derry side.
for example all teams will target Fergal Doc to try and get him sent off form now on...

If Derry can learn to channel ALL their aggression into playing football and responding with hard tackling and not resorting to fighting/aggressor/retialiation then they will be a long way down the right road.

Spot on. There's a big difference between physicality and indiscipline. Derry walked a fine line on Sunday. Teams can get easily sidetracked into all the niggly stuff and lose focus. Better teams than Monaghan would have punished Derry.     
would agree
but that begs the question  - would Derry have played like that (resorting to retaliation , sometimes retaliating first) against another side ?

Monaghan have that type of game and teams cant play open nice football against them if they do they will lose.

Main st - ya have to realise that Monaghan are the instigators and aggressors , maybe not as bad as people make out, but in the magnified Ulster championship, this amplifies all these kinds of actions - in both deed and publicity/observation.
They are a bit like MON's Celtic . Imposing their game and no one wants toplay them.
If I was a monaghan man I'd be proud of the team that McAnaney has created. Its not nice football at times but at other times its fantastic to be viewed as a TEAM.

Fuzzman

Didn't know where to post this article but thought it was relevant after all yer chat this week.

FOOTBALLER of the Year Sean Cavanagh believes referees must act faster and earlier if they're to rid the championship of cynical fouling.

The Tyrone full-forward accepts his side's Ulster SFC clash with Armagh on Sunday will be the subject of close scrutiny. That's a result of last weekend's stormy Ulster tie between Derry and Monaghan which saw one player red carded and 11 yellows dished out.

Cavanagh refused to criticise the players whom, he claims, will always try to get away with as much as possible. Rather he says it's up to referees to be more decisive and to lay down the law in the early stages of games.

"Maybe if referees took a bit more authority and forget about old rules and new rules and concentrate on implementing the rules we might be able to play good, free flowing football," said Cavanagh.

"You don't mind taking the hits as long as they are within the rules.

"But when players are getting away with pulling and dragging away from the ball and scuffles at every opportunity then referees, linesmen and umpires have to deal with it accordingly.

"I don't think it's a point of new rules versus old rules; it's a point of playing within the rules and having them properly enforced."

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Thursday, May 28, 2009

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/cavanagh-calls-on-referees-to-be-stricter-92849.html#ixzz0GnB6GIWn&B

Maguire01

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 27, 2009, 10:44:14 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 27, 2009, 10:04:35 PM
Really? You're saying that better teams than Monaghan wouldn't adopt this 'thuggery'. But Derry did. Therefore, by your argument, they aren't a better team than Monaghan.

Ah, I get it. A very twisted and ultimately flawed logic. You left out the important gambit "against Derry" from your post, which should now read "You're saying that better teams than Monaghan wouldn't adopt this 'thuggery' against Derry. But Derry did.". Derry didn't adopt this thuggery against Derry, that is physically impossible and negates any point you're trying to make.

Better teams than Monaghan, like those I outlined above haven't adopted Monaghan-esque thuggery against Derry. If Derry were to play against any of those, the Oakleafers would be fairly safe to assume that Dublin, Kerry, Galway etc. will attempt to play football. If Derry were to play Monaghan again, it is an even safer assumption that Monaghan will revert to the disgraceful tactics honed under the McEnaney / McElkennon axis. Derry will play football in the correct spirit when it is possible (there is nothing in Cass's CV to suggest otherwise); if referees and the GAA hierarchy do not protect them against Monaghan, then they are entitled, as they did on Sunday, to ensure that they create the circumstances allowing pure football to be played.

In such circumstances,they will prove that they are indeed a much better side than the Farneymen.

Hope this helps.
Yes, very helpful indeed.

But you're ignoring the fact that Monaghan beat Derry in 2007 and 2008, where there was no mention of 'thuggery' as far as I can recall. In fact, in 2007 in particular, Monaghan played great football and the 2 point winning margin didn't reflect their superiority on the day.

Now i'm not saying Monaghan are better than Derry - Derry are a very talented team. It's just the rest of the BS i'm disputing.

tbrick18

Christ I'm bored of this thread!
Monaghan think we're to blame for the rough tactics...Derry think Monaghan are to blame...
The game is....we won....can we move on and forget about it please!

Just a wee comment about Sean Cavanagh's article there....I think its a bit rich coming from him about the refs implementing existing rules....if they did, then you could well argue that Tyrone wouldnt have won their first all-ireland due to the manner in which they played....you could also argue that Cavanagh could be spending a lot of time in the stands having been booked for diving and mouthing.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 28, 2009, 12:34:52 PM
Monaghan think we're to blame for the rough tactics...Derry think Monaghan are to blame...

Just a wee comment about Sean Cavanagh's article there....I think its a bit rich coming from him about the refs implementing existing rules....if they did, then you could well argue that Tyrone wouldnt have won their first all-ireland due to the manner in which they played....you could also argue that Cavanagh could be spending a lot of time in the stands having been booked for diving and mouthing.
Get ready for the onslaught from Tyronies
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

rrhf

Chrissie Mc Keague is the man you want there. 

Oakleafer93

Quote from: rrhf on May 28, 2009, 02:16:42 PM
Chrissie Mc Keague is the man you want there. 

It was embarrassing to watch and he could yet get a suspension out of it, but a lock of your boys Dooher prime suspect are at it more than enough.

the green man

Bensars

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 28, 2009, 12:34:52 PM

:D :D :D :D  FFS it was 6 years ago. Get over it !

Oakleafer93

Quote from: the green man on May 28, 2009, 03:35:38 PM
Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 28, 2009, 03:30:53 PM
and he could yet get a suspension out of it,.

No he won't

I know he probably won't but there are grounds for it

the green man

Quote from: Oakleafer93 on May 28, 2009, 03:41:49 PM
I know he probably won't but there are grounds for it

No there's not